Article L'Equipe: "Stories of couples in figure skating" | Golden Skate

Article L'Equipe: "Stories of couples in figure skating"

Fanou

Rinkside
Article L'Equipe 12 Feb 23:

Here is an article I only found today. It was actually published a few days ago, just before St Valentine's.
Article written by Thomas Héteau. L'Equipe is the main sports newspaper in France.
Always good to see that the majority of pair skaters and dancers manage to remain in good terms after their career... Although it seems it wasn't the case for Savchenko/Massot....
Any thoughts ?

Here is the translation :

Stories of couples in figure skating.
Despite their different characters and lifestyles, Fabian Bourzat and Nathalie Péchalat have managed to overcome their differences to form a united ice dancing couple.
Real or embodied love, sincere complicity or mutual dislike... In figure skating, the notion of couple is multiple. As Valentine's Day approaches, it is an opportunity to question this very special status.

"A tyrant." The word is radical. Used by the French skater Bruno Massot to evoke his former partner Aljona Savchenko. These two have yet dazzled the world skating under the colors of Germany, crowned Olympic champions in pairs in Pyeongchang in 2018 before seizing the world title a few weeks later. But nothing does, the Norman turned coach retains especially the shadowy part of this collaboration. "Technically, we were in perfect harmony. Psychologically, not at all", he summarizes. For nearly five years, Massot had to deal with the fiery temperament and intransigence of Savchenko, a German-Ukrainian star of the discipline trained "the hard way".

It could start from something very simple but it was almost like hitting each other," he says. She knew exactly where to poke to make it hurt. I was insulted on the ice, I was a piece of shit to her. So many things happened..." Like that day when, "sick as a dog", Bruno asked to go home. For his partner, he is only "lazy". "The same evening, I was in intensive care for a bronchopulmonary infection."

But the Massot-Savchenko pair is not an exception. Examples of couples with tumultuous relationships are even plentiful in the history of skating, in figure skating as well as in ice dancing. How can we not think of Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat, Olympic champions in 2002 in dance, at least as well known for their extraordinary talent as for their legendary fights. So much so that those who attended their training sessions sometimes thought it was their last. "They were flabbergasted, and the next day we were back at work," Peizerat almost jokes.

There are couples who tear each other apart and then there are the others. Lovers in life as well as on the ice, like the Italian dancers Charlène Guignard and Marco Fabbri, recent European champions, whose looks betray the degree of intimacy, or the French Camille and Pavel Kovalev, husband and wife, sixth in the last Euro in artistic couple. Easier to sublimate the relationship? Not necessarily. At the end of the 2022 World Championships, some people criticized the Kovalev couple for their lack of... connection.

For Line Haddad, choreographer of many French including the former artistic couple Vanessa James and Morgan Ciprès, European champion 2019, an intimate relationship can strengthen the duo: "It creates an emotion, a complicity that others do not have. We can use this to go even further in the romantic side ... " So, for example, the French Sarah Abitbol and Stephane Bernadis, lived together when they became vice-champions of Europe in couple in 2002 and 2003. "But sometimes this relationship can trigger deeper crises on the ice," continues Line Haddad.

Another form of love: the brotherly bond. The unforgettable Paul and Isabelle Duchesnay, 1991 world champions, have made this status of brother and sister their great strength, putting aside the traditional game of seduction to play another score.

Others, friends without being a couple, seem to be one and the same on the ice, like the reigning Olympic champions and five-time world champions in ice dancing Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron, who have been partners since childhood. For the latter, the notion of mutual "commitment" to a goal is essential in the "partnership": "Even if there are tensions or more difficult periods, we want and must make it work.

Double world bronze medalist in 2012 and 2014 in ice dancing with Fabian Bourzat, Nathalie Péchalat also emphasizes the self-sacrifice needed to make the "team" work. After a two-year romance between the ages of 17 and 19, Péchalat and Bourzat broke up but continued, not without difficulty at first, as a couple on the ice. He was no longer my lover, brother or friend," she says. Basically there's not an innate thing that happens. So there is a real work to do. And when we are completely opposite in lifestyle, in character, which was the case for Fabian and me, it is not easy.

While she needed to "vent her emotions", to release her anger in moments of deep disagreement, Fabian tended to withdraw. It took the skater several years to understand that what she interpreted as distance was in fact his way of protecting himself. "Strangely, it could be very conflicting, but when one of us was going through a difficult time, we were real partners, we supported each other," she adds. She still remembers Fabian's little attentions when, ten days before the 2012 Worlds at home, she broke her nose and accumulated personal problems. "He took it upon himself to make sure the training sessions went well, he cooked me little dishes... he was adorable."

Most often, it is not affinity that guides the partnership but technical and artistic compatibility. The fact that they like each other is not a necessity to form a successful pair. The difference can even be appreciable according to Nathalie Péchalat: "It is also what enriches the adventure. At least it doesn't get boring! Whatever happens, even after crises or criticism, the main thing is to keep working, and above all, never break the trust. "I could tell him 'screw you' and get on the ice to do lifts, I never thought Fabian would drop me to get revenge. There was always that bond of trust. That's paramount."

Not getting along but having to work nine hours a day together. Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat have practiced the exercise so much that they are now lecturing about it! Both have been associated with a single goal, to be the number 1, after the former partner of the young woman, Ilia Averboukh, preferred to leave to skate with ... his girlfriend at the time. And that she had to go into exile to find a new high-level ice companion. In ten years of career, the Franco-Russian couple went through many crises with very often the exacerbated requirement of Marina for detonator.

"I came with my Russian mentality, even when it was good, it was not good. I was hard on him," she admits. A delay in training, shoelaces that do not fit ... so many details that she took for dilettantism and that could drive her crazy. Sometimes it passed. Often it clashed. Gwendal remembers that session in 2001 when, unable to contain his anger, he threw his skates into the fence. "I broke every screw head on my blade. When I saw myself doing that, even though I'm pretty zen, I said stop, she's taking me too far! I grabbed my stuff and left."

With hindsight, he would have liked to live a more peaceful relationship, but he also admits that their association, although explosive, was ideal to succeed. "We were so different that we were ultra-complementary. Beyond the good understanding, the most important thing is that the physical, technical, artistic skills allow you to win."

An opinion shared by her former teammate: "I always wanted more, it was not easy for Gwendal. But if I hadn't been like that, we wouldn't have won gold at the Games and I think he knows it", she explains, while qualifying the picture: "In France, we like to say that our relationship was terrible, but we add a lot to it. We weren't crazy people either, we had limits and we were able to manage our emotions.

Physical engagement, body contact, emotional closeness... skating together is never easy. When the chemistry is not there, it can quickly turn into a nightmare. To perform in these conditions, coach and choreographer play an essential role, that of mediator. A role that Muriel Boucher-Zazoui, coach of the duo Anissina-Peizerat, has very often taken on. "To express their uneasiness, their anger, I was used as a thread, a buffer", she remembers. Her protégés could then go up on the track without even speaking one to the other.

"I prefer a couple that fights, that expresses its emotions, than a couple that doesn't say anything to each other, because when it explodes, it's more complicated", assures the coach. It is also necessary to remain concentrated on the objectives to be reached. "Ambitions must be stronger than aversion", summarizes Line Haddad.

Bruno Massot knows this posture well. Think of all the sacrifices made to hold on, whatever the cost. Swallowing one's ego so as not to constantly start a conflict, until one "can't stand" one's partner. Until the gesture of too much...

"One day, that was really not going well. She insulted me, she was close to me and I pushed her away. It was like raising my hand on her, which I have always forbidden myself to do. Sometimes you can't take it anymore, you end up saying completely crazy things to yourself, the opposite of what you believe in." Five years have passed since the end of their career and the former skater remains deeply marked. Traumatized almost. At the end of 2022, now a coach, he had to go to a competition in Poland, where Aljona was to be present. "A week before the departure, I began to stress. In the end, she didn't come. It freed me completely", remembers Bruno Massot, who goes so far as to say that if he had to do it all over again, he would not start the adventure again.

On the ice, however, the couple did not let anything show. Because beyond being meticulously prepared athletes, skaters are also great performers. Whether they are together or not, feigning seduction is not a problem. "In film, do two actors have to be in love in life to convey emotion? No. It's the same thing on the ice," observes Gwendal Peizerat.

When in the spring of 2020 Guillaume Cizeron evoked his homosexuality for the first time publicly, it did not change anything about what he could radiate on the ice with Gabriella. Both continued to embody to perfection this sometimes platonic, sometimes romantic and passionate couple. Notwithstanding the Russian judge Alexander Vedenin who had said that the French were not able to transcribe "true love", a question of culture perhaps in a country where for a long time to make skate together the couples in love was a true tendency, even a strategy.
These are roles, yes and no," continues Papadakis. We have known each other for so long that there is a real complicity between us. There's something real about everything we do on the ice, the relationship our bodies have together."" The sensuality between a man and a woman exists, outside of sexual orientation", completes his partner.

Beyond the acting, the emotion is often real at the end of the program. The complicit glances and the sincere embraces. Anissina and Peizerat feel today a mutual recognition for what each one brought to the couple, self-sacrifice on one side and determination on the other.

Just like them, Péchalat and Bourzat each continue on their own path, where the bridges have never been cut. The former skater displays at home a single photo of her ex-partner but on which her eyes rest every time she enters her office, "so very often".

Last edited:

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
There are screenshots of the Bruno/Aljona section all over Twitter this morning.
Below, for anyone who wants to read:

How awful for Bruno, that his experience with her traumatized him to the point where he was stressed about potentially seeing her at a competition where he was coaching.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm half surprised by Aliona's behavior. Someone that ambitious, she's easily the most ambitious skater i've ever seen, must be strict. But i didn't think she was basically Cruella.
The most surprising is the fact that they were able to create such a magical program (de la terre vue du ciel) while having such a toxic relationship. Poor Bruno. I hope he will be able to forget the dark side of the experience.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
There goes my admiration for Aliona. The program she did with Bruna than won them an Olympic gold was, to me, the best pairs LP that can be. She sounds like an absolute horrible person. An athlete I cheered for since 2007 winning the European title. Truthfully, my admiration for her was already started to fade with her trying a new partner, in the context of the alleged abuse, so....
His tears and his reaction after the LP have such a different vibe now knowing what was behind close doors. I cannot even begin to imagine how he felt after the mistake he did in the SP. And the pressure he felt from her. Seems to have been a very very toxic environment if he had this big anxiety to just see her again at a competition. Glad he is speaking about it.

noskates

Record Breaker
Her behavior doesn't surprise me at all. Her ambition and her determination to win that Olympic Gold was all-consuming I think she would have kept tearing through partners until she reached that goal. But I agree - that magical performance is somehow tainted for me knowing the backstory.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Bruno suffered a lot no doubt. Having Aljona as a partner is more than just tough.

Nevertheless I just think the relationship is way more complicated. Through all the years they seemed to be quite ok with each other. Better than the Robin-Ajona-Ingo-relationship. They even celebrated new year together with their partners.

I do not want to question that Bruno is saying the truth. But there is just way more than that. Bruno wanted that success also very badly and there was always the option of leaving at anytime.

Last edited:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Bruno suffered a lot no doubt. Having Aljona as a partner is more than just tough.

Nevertheless I just think the relationship is way more complicated. Through all the years they seemed to be quite ok with each other. Better than the Robin-Ajona-Ingo-relationship. They even celebrated new year together with their partners.

I do not want to question that Bruno is saying the truth. But there is just way more than that. Bruno wanted that success also very badly and their was always the option of leaving at anytime.
I would think this way too. It is an interesting article but I have also read the e-book about them (and about the partnership with Robin and Ingo as well) which showed that the relationships were complicated (a lot of them, not only with Bruno) was obvious. What I understood from that book was that the coaches Alexander and Jean-François did a great job in making both Aljona and Bruno achieve their goals.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I do not want to question that Bruno is saying the truth. But there is just way more than that. Bruno wanted that success also very badly and their was always the option of leaving at anytime.

It's like a divorce, one of the painful parts of it afterwards is that one even begins to question the good memories and the good times one had. Even when one has decided to remember the good things, too, it's hard, because if you mention them to other people, they're puzzled. It's the black or white nature of how most people tend to compartmentalize.

I hope that saying these things will help Bruno recover from the trauma, which I believe is very very real. And that at some point he'll be able to remember the good with the bad. The only thing I will say is that his specific revelations about Aljona's behavior aren't surprising, probably to anyone. But he (or the article writer) qualifies it by saying that she was trained "the hard way," so we know it didn't begin with her.

The other thing about trauma is, we human beings tend to tough through it in order to survive. Often it's only later when the full weight of it hits and won't let go. So the post-traumatic syndrome disorder hits. I'm glad Bruno can identify it and hopefully get help with the aftermath.

I will say this: ❤️ Bruno is an extremely strong individual, to have been able to express the care and tenderness that he did throughout their Olympic year free skate.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
There goes my admiration for Aliona. The program she did with Bruna than won them an Olympic gold was, to me, the best pairs LP that can be. She sounds like an absolute horrible person. An athlete I cheered for since 2007 winning the European title. Truthfully, my admiration for her was already started to fade with her trying a new partner, in the context of the alleged abuse, so....
His tears and his reaction after the LP have such a different vibe now knowing what was behind close doors. I cannot even begin to imagine how he felt after the mistake he did in the SP. And the pressure he felt from her. Seems to have been a very very toxic environment if he had this big anxiety to just see her again at a competition. Glad he is speaking about it.
THe program at the olympics was amazing but imho probably not the ultimate one. It artistically and emotionally was lacking and technically on the very high end but there were others who could certainly cause doubt as to its superiority. They did not have the biggest single jumps or pair throws, their pair elements were very well done but not clearly above the very best and as a couple/pairs they didn't have the strongest of chemistry. I agree she had a lot of grit and pulled the team BUT she did not have the charisma on ice, like them or not, of Krylova, Bestmianova, Witt, Navka, Gritschuk, Klimova et al.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Just saying, none of those are pairs ladies. Pairs ladies must be super tough physically to deal with the risky stuff they do every day. Pairs also requires a different mindset from ice dance. Charisma is secondary to getting a tough job done

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
THe program at the olympics was amazing but imho probably not the ultimate one. It artistically and emotionally was lacking and technically on the very high end but there were others who could certainly cause doubt as to its superiority. They did not have the biggest single jumps or pair throws, their pair elements were very well done but not clearly above the very best and as a couple/pairs they didn't have the strongest of chemistry. I agree she had a lot of grit and pulled the team BUT she did not have the charisma on ice, like them or not, of Krylova, Bestmianova, Witt, Navka, Gritschuk, Klimova et al.
I am sorry to say I don't agree at all. Comparing a pair woman with women from other disciplines like dance and singles is unfair, I loved the programme artistically and emotionally, and I don't really care about them not having the biggest jumps or throws. I would admire Meagan and Eric for that part. And I thought the chemistry looked wonderful, that's exactly why Bruno's feelings surprised me.

icewhite

Record Breaker

No matter what Aljona is like as a person or how their relationship in real life was, that program, in my eyes, was truely one for the ages. Now, I admit, I haven't seen that many pairs programs, but among the ones I saw this was definitely the best. It moved me deeply and I think that overall it was a masterpiece.

Amei

Record Breaker
No matter what Aljona is like as a person or how their relationship in real life was, that program, in my eyes, was truely one for the ages. Now, I admit, I haven't seen that many pairs programs, but among the ones I saw this was definitely the best. It moved me deeply and I think that overall it was a masterpiece.

I recommend watching some Gordeeva/Grinkov and Shen/Zhao programs, personal opinion those are probably the 2 best pairs teams

macy

Record Breaker
Alexa Knierim wrote a nice post about her relationship with Todd Sand beginning right after leaving Aljona, given what happened to Todd yesterday. She gives a few details about her and Chris' time in Europe and the detrimental effects training with her had on them.

Posting here helps me cope.
In 2019 after we left Aljona Savchenko in Germany Todd flew immediately to meet Chris and I in Illinois. He didn’t blink an eye to help us get to NHK Trophy with a coach. We had never worked with him and we were all under new pressures.
When we left Aljona I lost all of my grit and self love. It was a difficult time for us. When Todd came to Illinois I would stop the programs mid way thru because I had anxiety and fear that was developed during my time in Europe. Todd was so gracious and gentle. He didn’t know much about us personally but he treated us with the most love and care as if we were his own children. Todd took us to Japan the next week and we medaled. We moved to California immediately after that. Fast forward to today and the mountains he has helped me climb are higher than the sky.
Todd is still fighting. We aren’t out of the woods yet and all hope and positivity is needed. Thank you.

This definitely lines up with what others have said about her and the controversies she's been involved in, and i can't see her in the same light anymore. it's really too bad with the level of experience she has, she could really be an amazing coach.

Last edited: