Riedells | Golden Skate

Riedells

Schpanky

Rinkside
Hello. I'm an adult skater and just re-started ice skating after two years. I had taken some adult lessons and did synchro. It was purely enjoyment for me, I never tested. At that time my teacher recommended I get skates that could withstand double jumps, so I did, and I was miserable. They were Jackson Elite 4200. I just sold them on Ebay. There was no way I needed a skate that stiff. No way. Right now I'm using my old boots that I had bought used, but the tongue is coming apart, and tearing into my shins. It was a Jackson model (even stiffer than the 4200's, but USED, so very comfortable).

I'm a roller skater. My favorite boots in the world are Riedells. I'm thinking that maybe you guys could give me a little advice on Riedells. I've roller skated and slalom inline skated for 30years. It's the love of my life, it's what I live for. Ice skating gives me just as much enjoyment, but I don't want to suffer for a pair of skates. I can only do Waltz, Salchow and one other single jump that I can't remember the name of (but it's very easy).

Could you recommend a Riedell boot that is not stiff and can handle single jumps? I know of a shop that specializes in figure skates and sizing, but it's about two hours away, and their hours are difficult. I'd like to know which direction I'm going in before I go there (I don't want to get roped into buying another pair of overly expensive and stiff boots. Thanks.

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
The Stride (model number 223) sounds like it’d be about the stiffness you’re looking for - it’s rated for single jumps. However if your coach is recommending boots that can handle doubles you may want to consider stepping up to the Motion (model number 255).

I’ve never worn Riedells so I’m not sure if their ice skating boots are different from their roller boots - but I’ve heard that in general their ice boots fit best for folks with narrower feet, so definitely get fitted to make sure that their boots work for you. And don’t forget to take blades into consideration - I think most of the instructional Riedell boots come with either the Eclipse Capri or Eclipse Astra. Eclipse blades have gotten good reviews from several folks on the forums, but make sure to talk to your coach about what your needs are for a blade.

Good luck!

Silver Ice

On the Ice
When I started skating again I started with their motion model. Mine came with a starter blade, but I think you can get it without. I believe it’s rated for double jumps, but it had barely any break in time for me.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I had Motions for 4 years with the attached blade and they served me well. Took a bit to break in, but the support was great!

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I had the Riedell stride as my first pair of skates. They were not right for my feet but I learned all my singles in them. I would recommend upgrading the blade if you go with that option. They come with the eclipse Capri which is a beginner blade and doesn't have much of a rocker. I wouldn't recommend that blade if you're doing any jumps.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I switched to Riedells after years in Jacksons and I love them. The thing with Riedells is that they make a much softer boot than Jackson so you not only have to consider what jumps you're doing, but also your height, weight and how hard you are on your skates. I destroyed triple rated Riedells in a year doing doubles, but I'm also a large skater (5'10'', 180 pounds at the time) and I'm generally hard on my boots. I do find Riedells to be super comfortable. The first pair I had, had almost no break in period.

For blades, I recommend John Wilson, but that's my bias opinion.

Schpanky

Rinkside
As for the weight question, I'm not a "skaters" shape, at 5'10, I weigh 135. I looked at the Stride, it looks perfect! Thank you so much! Thank you! I love Riedells.

One more question (and thanks). I have a Wilson Majestic Blade, it seems absolutely perfect, I love it so much. Is it similar to a Capri? I don't think I can separate from this blade.

Last edited:

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hmm. I can’t seem to find much info about the spin rocker profile on the Majestic or the Capri - but I believe they both have 7’ main rockers, so there would be less of an adjustment going from one to the other than if one had an 8’ rocker.

At your level, an upgrade to an intermediate level blade (like the Wilson Coronation Ace, Eclipse Aurora or MK Professional) wouldn’t be unreasonable, but if you like the Majestic and there’s enough life in them, they might fit your new boots. Make sure to talk to your fitter/skate tech about whether that’s possible (blade length is generally 1/4” less than the length of the sole of the boot, and due to differences in the shapes of different models, a blade might not fit a different skate even if it’s the same shoe size).