Blade advice | Golden Skate

Blade advice

Jenfs5

Spectator
I just returned to the ice last year after about 17 years off the ice. I decided to get new boots and blades. I currently have old Riedell 1500's and coronation comet blades. The boots are way too stiff as I'm just relearning my single jumps so I definitely wanted something less stiff. I have always had a problem with doing back spins but I honestly do not know if that is me or the blade. I really wanted to try something different than Riedell so my fitter put me into Jackson Debut and legacy 8 blades. I am a bigger gal (5'9 and 165 pounds) but I only skate 2-3 hours a week so I think i'm ok with that boot. I was leaning towards either Ace or professional blades but he said the legacy 8 would probably be a smoother transition. I am now doubting my decision to go with the legacy blade.... anyone have any advice?
I also chose a Jackson boot as I can get a rapid custom of 2 different sized feet without going full custom. My right skate is always too big as my previous boots were fitted to me left/larger foot.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Have you asked your coach for advice since he/she sees you in person and knows how you skate. Coach's advice + advice of a trusted fitter should be the best advice since both of these people see you in person, type of body and feet, measurements and skating skills/style.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Have you asked your coach for advice since he/she sees you in person and knows how you skate. Coach's advice + advice of a trusted fitter should be the best advice since both of these people see you in person, type of body and feet, measurements and skating skills/style.
Except when many coaches especially at lower levels have no clue what boots or blades to suggest and I've seen it happen as well as heard about it happening here where the coach suggests something completely wrong and it causes pain, more money spent and possible injury.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I just returned to the ice last year after about 17 years off the ice. I decided to get new boots and blades. I currently have old Riedell 1500's and coronation comet blades. The boots are way too stiff as I'm just relearning my single jumps so I definitely wanted something less stiff. I have always had a problem with doing back spins but I honestly do not know if that is me or the blade. I really wanted to try something different than Riedell so my fitter put me into Jackson Debut and legacy 8 blades. I am a bigger gal (5'9 and 165 pounds) but I only skate 2-3 hours a week so I think i'm ok with that boot. I was leaning towards either Ace or professional blades but he said the legacy 8 would probably be a smoother transition. I am now doubting my decision to go with the legacy blade.... anyone have any advice?
I also chose a Jackson boot as I can get a rapid custom of 2 different sized feet without going full custom. My right skate is always too big as my previous boots were fitted to me left/larger foot.
If you can get Coronation Ace or MK Professional in your size, you'd be far better going with either of those.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
<<Emphasis added>> If you were off ice for about 17 yrs and only recently returned, I doubt that a "smoother transition" from your old blades is a relevant factor to consider after all this time. The Coronation Comet had an 8.5 ft radius main rocker; so I guess your fitter thought that the Legacy 8 (with an 8 ft radius main rocker) would provide a smoother transition than a Coronation Ace or MK Pro (both of which have a 7 ft radius main rocker). However, the Legacy 8 has a flatter spin rocker than the Coronation Ace or MK Pro. So if you're concerned about spins, you're better off with one of those, as WM and Ic3 have previously recommended. Have fun and a great skate on your return journey. :)

Jenfs5

Spectator
I have not because I am only in group lessons and the coaches change frequently

Jenfs5

Spectator
<<Emphasis added>> If you were off ice for about 17 yrs and only recently returned, I doubt that a "smoother transition" from your old blades is a relevant factor to consider after all this time. The Coronation Comet had an 8.5 ft radius main rocker; so I guess your fitter thought that the Legacy 8 (with an 8 ft radius main rocker) would provide a smoother transition than a Coronation Ace or MK Pro (both of which have a 7 ft radius main rocker). However, the Legacy 8 has a flatter spin rocker than the Coronation Ace or MK Pro. So if you're concerned about spins, you're better off with one of those, as WM and Ic3 have previously recommended. Have fun and a great skate on your return journey. :)
Do you know if it is flatter than the spin rocker on the Comet? I don't really have a problem with forward spins on the comet, just the back spin. And again that could just be me... i tend to spin on my inside edge on that foot.

Jenfs5

Spectator
I second going with traditional Coronation Ace or MK Pro.
Do you know if the spin rocker is the same between the coronation comet and ace? And if so the legacy is super flat compared to?
My new skates came in but he has reordered them as they felt way too narrow... so I'm still waiting. I did try skating once in the old ones and between the higher heel (switching boots from an old Reidell 1500 to Jackson debut) and the half inch shorter blade, I felt like I was gonna fall on my face. I also felt like the legacy 8 blade seems like it has a super short tail... does anyone know if they are shorter than coronation comet and/or ace or if I was just imagining it??

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You will feel like you're in high heels for a while but that soon passes. I would still recommend the Aces as being an easier transition and a much better spinning experience.