My second pair of skates - so much to learn! | Golden Skate

My second pair of skates - so much to learn!

gavia

Spectator
I am an adult male figure skater (33 yr old, approx 90kg) and have been skating for almost two years in Jackson Freestyle boots with the standard Ultima Aspire XP blades. I have fairly flat, wide feet (and so need the wide boot), and use inner soles which have helped a lot with pain that I had earlier on. I have Greek feet, in case that helps.

I'm now at the point where I'm comfortably landing my waltz jump, salchow and toe loops (currently learning loop), and my figure skating coach suggested that I may want to upgrade my blades - he recommended Gold Star. When speaking to my figure skating shop, the guy also suggested that I may also want to upgrade my boot particularly as I'm landing jumps - he suggested Jackson Premieres, particularly because of my weight. I did some research on Jackson boots and blades in general and found a very small amount of info available, apart from size charts and support ratings (but no real explanation of what the support ratings mean?). Given what little I could glean, it seems that both my coach and the shop owner were right and that given my weight and that I am jumping often (and progressing quickly) that I should be in a stronger/stiffer boot. In terms of blade, it does seem that something like a gold star would be better than say a gold seal, particularly as I really struggle with spinning and so the larger spin rocker should give me a little more lee-way there.

Basically wanting to confirm with others in the community that this all sounds right, or am I way off base? I train fairly frequently (on the ice 3-4 times a week, plus also multiple off-ice sessions) and progress quickly, and am not afraid to pay for the right boot and blade combination as long as it is right for me. My only main concern is that my current blade has an 8" foot rocker instead of a 7" so don't know if the change will be really jarring.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am an adult male figure skater (33 yr old, approx 90kg) and have been skating for almost two years in Jackson Freestyle boots with the standard Ultima Aspire XP blades. I have fairly flat, wide feet (and so need the wide boot), and use inner soles which have helped a lot with pain that I had earlier on. I have Greek feet, in case that helps.

I'm now at the point where I'm comfortably landing my waltz jump, salchow and toe loops (currently learning loop), and my figure skating coach suggested that I may want to upgrade my blades - he recommended Gold Star. When speaking to my figure skating shop, the guy also suggested that I may also want to upgrade my boot particularly as I'm landing jumps - he suggested Jackson Premieres, particularly because of my weight. I did some research on Jackson boots and blades in general and found a very small amount of info available, apart from size charts and support ratings (but no real explanation of what the support ratings mean?). Given what little I could glean, it seems that both my coach and the shop owner were right and that given my weight and that I am jumping often (and progressing quickly) that I should be in a stronger/stiffer boot. In terms of blade, it does seem that something like a gold star would be better than say a gold seal, particularly as I really struggle with spinning and so the larger spin rocker should give me a little more lee-way there.

Basically wanting to confirm with others in the community that this all sounds right, or am I way off base? I train fairly frequently (on the ice 3-4 times a week, plus also multiple off-ice sessions) and progress quickly, and am not afraid to pay for the right boot and blade combination as long as it is right for me. My only main concern is that my current blade has an 8" foot rocker instead of a 7" so don't know if the change will be really jarring.
hi and welcome! yes and no. If you are in a basic blade right now and with doing singles, you don't need a top level blade. You need an intermediate blade like MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace (traditional style). As far as boots, if Jackson works for you, you want to look at the Jackson Debut (2452). Also, if you let us know where you are in the world, we can suggest a fitter who won't try to oversell and overboot you.

Good luck!

silverlily1

On the Ice
I wouldn't worry about the change from an 8' rocker to a 7' one. I did the same recently, worried just as much, and it's totally fine. My jump landings feel more secure than they did before, my spins are easier, etc. It was a great move.

gavia

Spectator
hi and welcome! yes and no. If you are in a basic blade right now and with doing singles, you don't need a top level blade. You need an intermediate blade like MK Pro or John Wilson Coronation Ace (traditional style). As far as boots, if Jackson works for you, you want to look at the Jackson Debut (2452). Also, if you let us know where you are in the world, we can suggest a fitter who won't try to oversell and overboot you.

Good luck!

I’m in Melbourne Australia. Thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The closest I can think of is iSkate in Canterbury. We do have Aussie skaters here so hopefully someone can come along and help you find a decent fitter/shop.

Good luck! :)

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I agree with your fitter, at your weight (200 lbs) and jumping, I do think the Jackson Premiere is more appropriate than the Debut, which is about the exact same support rating than the Freestyle you are in now.

But your current blade is a beginner blade, and your coach is recommending an advanced blade. I think you'd be really unhappy with the big change. It would be more appropriate to go to an intermediate blade like Coronation Ace or MK Professional. Standard versions, not lites and not revolutions.