Torgashev withdraws from JGPF; Gogolev is in | Golden Skate

Torgashev withdraws from JGPF; Gogolev is in

frida80

Record Breaker
What happened to Andrew? I hope he’s ok! I thought he finally turned a corner in his last FS.

Good for Stephan being able to compete at the GPF on home soil. He crowds will be big again, but I’m sure he’ll handle the pressure much better than in Richmond.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm obviously happy that Stephen gets to go, though it's always a shame when an opportunity comes as a result of a withdrawal like this.

Ziotic

Medalist
I’m so happy for Stephen!! I hope he can keep his nerves in check and deliver two amazing performances.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Ugh, is Torgashev injured again? I hope it's not too serious and he's just being careful. What a great opportunity for Gogolev, though. Hope he can take full advantage of it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:sad21::sad21::sad21:

The JGPF just got less interesting without the finesse, polish and performance chops of my Andrew T.:cry:

But this year I am also Team TCC, so go Stephen:clap:

tafattsbarn

Rinkside
Sad to see Andrew withdraw, but at the same time i'm happy to get a chance to observe Stephen a bit more :)

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also, on the lighter side, if someone else withdraws, that means we can get Kirill in the Final and conclusively prove that he and Stephen are different people.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

The JGPF just got less interesting without the finesse, polish and performance chops of my Andrew T.:cry:

Well losing Andrew T is a big blow but you can't get more exciting than a very young boy trying to skate with the big boys. 13 versus 16 or 17 is like nite and day

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Wow, good for Stephen! And after all that hullabaloo angst we had about him not qualifying before.... take care to Andrew as well.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Well losing Andrew T is a big blow but you can't get more exciting than a very young boy trying to skate with the big boys. 13 versus 16 or 17 is like nite and day

It's true. The final now has quite the age spread.

Stephen (13) - he'll turn 14 a couple of weeks later
Petr (16)
Adam (17)
Koshiro (17)
Camden (18)
Tomoki (18)

BrentWolgamott

Rinkside
has there ever been another instance of someone being an Alternate to a GPF, and having a chance to WIN? Usually when the alternates get it, it's nice for them, but also-rans. I can see Stephen having a chance to win.

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Is Stephen the youngest skater ever (at least in men's ) to qualify for the JGPF :eek:? If so, someone add that to his growing list of records and achievements on Wikipedia...;)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
has there ever been another instance of someone being an Alternate to a GPF, and having a chance to WIN?

I'm sure there have. People used to withdraw all the time (they had to put a rule into place to discourage it), and there have certainly been cases of athletes that did not qualify for the final that had a chance to win so why would there not be cases of alternates making the final that had a chance to win? To say someone does not have a chance in the men's event would be kind of ??? Especially when you look at how wild the ride was for the junior guys. Orzel, Danielan, Mozgov, Savozin, Phan, etc. They could all have had a chance to win. Kudos to the guys who made it because it was no easy task this year. Stephen certainly has a good shot. Also Gummenik landed two quad sals in his recent Russian Cup event. The prospects for the junior men's JGPF just keep getting better and better. (The field already had 5 of my favorites in it, which kind of blows my mind).

I'm sorry to hear about Torgashev's injury though. He's already had such a difficult time, losing a whole junior season due to injury previously. Best wishes for his recovery. Will he have a bye through to Nationals if he is not able to compete that weekend and also not doing Sectionals?

Rissa

Record Breaker

:laugh: I was just thinking the opposite, that JGPF just got more interesting with Gogolev's will-he-bomb-or-will-he-win-it-all quads.

Pity it had to be at Torgashev's expense, though.

To be honest, considering Erokhov had to withdraw from his GPs and Zhou's state, I won't be too surprised if more withdrawals happen. Training costs young skaters dearly.