2023 Skate America Men's Short Program | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America Men's Short Program

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Practice was pretty good for all the men pretty much, so Torgashev and Naumov's misses came as a bit of a disappointment. I think maybe because everyone was so strong in practice, that they all knew chances were about equal for everyone to be 3rd or last, and it had negative impact. Torgashev and Naumov are both really impressive live. I didn't think that PCS reflected the differences in SS/artistic presentation...it seemed more than the protocol would have it.

Maybe we expected more from the short based on practice, but the atmosphere of the arena and our friendly neighbors more than made up for it.

Andrew's IG stories showed him landing the combo in practice with the caption "This is what I planned to do"

😢

SmileHappy34

Final Flight
Confused regarding skate America article that stated ilia Malinin top Nathan Chen's Short Program high score at Skate America.
Nathan Chen had a 104.12 in 2017
A 111. In 2019 when only US skaters skated.
Didn't those scores count? Ilia did great but it not the highest program scores.i wish the media would do a little research or explain why 104.06 is the highest

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
Confused regarding skate America article that stated ilia Malinin top Nathan Chen's Short Program high score at Skate America.
Nathan Chen had a 104.12 in 2017
A 111. In 2019 when only US skaters skated.
Didn't those scores count? Ilia did great but it not the highest program scores.i wish the media would do a little research or explain why 104.06 is the highest
2017 was still on +/-3 GOE scale, so the record scores reset following the introduction of +/-5, and the 2020 GPs had domestic judging panels and thus the scores did not count for international PBs

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Andrew's IG stories showed him landing the combo in practice with the caption "This is what I planned to do"

😢
Sad that he feels like he needs to prove he can do his combo. It makes me wonder if the amount of pressure is unhealthy on his shoulders and if he should seek help. He lands this combo every day I am sure. No need to appease the fans with a post... just a bad day at work right? I don't know.. it made me feel uneasy to read this.

16Olympics

On the Ice
Just my two cents….

The Europeans have too high world standing due to numerous events held in Europe. Is the Swede kid really final flight calibre at GP events?

Stephen - Not a bad skate from him. Lovely 4T 3T. Had he nailed the 3A, he would have been in the final group. I’m hoping he holds on to a top 8 placement. But, it will be tough.

I love Andrew T. ❤️
I would give him the highest PCS scores
I prefer his skating skills over Jason Brown 😳
But, his jumps are so wonky and inconsistent
Also, I enjoyed Naumov

Ilia - what a star. Even with no 4A allowed or quad quad combos, he is so confident with his 4T and 4Lz. It will be interesting to watch what jumps he will attempt for the free skate. I’m especially interested in the combos. I hope he does one conbo, in the first half and then two in the 2nd half. When you leave the three combos as the last three jumping elements, you have to nail all of them.
Also, loved his red costume and he is starting to develop a connection to the audience similar to what Nathan Chen used to do. I’m still furious he wasn’t selected to the Olympics team.
Ilia can shock with a 300+ score tmrw. Only Shoma has surpassed this score, so far. Loving the top men contenders this year.

Kevin - I really thought he would struggle here with 70-80 score. He was perfect and showed why he is the 4th best skater in the world. He deserved his PCS score and I have a feeling he can hold on to the silver medal position now. I didn’t think he would do so well. 50/50 chance with securing a silver medal. Wow!

Sato - solid. One of 5 Japanese skaters fighting for two spots, behind Shoma. The second best finisher in GP series, often is secured with a spot. So, he will have to do his best to try to pass Kevin tmrw. The Japanese men are equivalent to the Russian women, in terms of competition. They keep pushing each other to higher limits.

I think those three are the podium finishers…. 95% confident in this.

I enjoyed this event. I’m looking forward to this event, the most tmrw.
I am anxiously but patiently waiting for Stephen to gel. The Olympics are 2.5 years away and he has work to do to be the one or two that Canada will send. I know there are others but they seem to be inconsistent so of the two that might go to 2026, I could see Stephen being one of them if he can get consistent and hone is artistic score.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
catching up with everything i missed!

comments nobody was missing:

- Andrew,,,it hurts so good 🌵

- Vladimir...tigers live in Asia but got yourself a nomination :LOL: 🏆

- Gogolev's interpretation of an highway was spotless

- Japanese skaters have these superb basics, i could watch Nozomu gliding all day long. that said, next time you need fashion advices don't go to Kazuki Tomono, Nozomu :biggrin:

- oh Andreas, my nordic baby cactus, mama loves you no matter what.

- Deniss is turning into Stephan :LOL: he's also rocking his Sorensen deep V.

ramurphy2005

Unabashed Mainer
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Actually, although it said 1 dat, the replays stayed up longer than one day. Peacock is just so sketchy in more ways than one. I 🤷🏽‍♀️
Because they'd be better off if they were counting hours available instead of days. If they're giving people 2 days, and I bet when it reaches a certain time threshold it switches to saying 1 day left even if there are say 36 hours actually available to watch an event.