2023 Skate America Pairs Short Program | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2023 Skate America Pairs Short Program

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nope, I totally disagree with Hocke/Kunkel scoring. Something is up with that. They do not have
as good a twist as Liu/ Nagy. Because Liu/ Nagy are a new team, it seems as if the judges didn't want to give them much. And why exactly are Lia & Trennt being held down in points for such a clean skate? L&T were 6th at Worlds. Hocke/ Kunkel were 9th and didn't skate well at Worlds. Is this because L&T are considered #2 in Canada, and H/K are considered #1 in Germany?🤔 That's not a good reason. Skaters should be judged on the performances they put out. It just looks like a set-up to me. The judges were apparently ready to give H/K huge scores, while holding down L&T and Lui/ Nagy with overly conservative marks. H/K have been together the longest, but that doesn't make them better than the rest of this field.
I've said repeatedly and no one will ever convince me otherwise "you skate today for the PCS you will get next time" (competition, year, whatever.) Do I like it, no. But that's how it works.

Weathergal

Medalist
You have the option of watching the pairs sp on Peacock with no commentary, or going with the NBC feed.
The issue was that those of us watching the ISU feed on YT or those watching the CBC feed all of a sudden had Terry, Tara, and Johnny appear on the feed. That doesn't happen. The feed was glitchy at the beginning, but fortunately it resolved itself, and we al
then had our regular commentators.

As far as Peacock goes, years ago I was a big fan, but I cut ties with them a while back when they first started yanking archived stuff with no explanation, and a lot of the nonsense started. And quite honestly, I've found better ways to watch. But yes, I was often able to watch commentary-free feed on it, which could be nice. Bless you for having the patience to deal with them; I didn't,, and I couldn't justify paying for yet another streaming service that wasn't delivering what I wanted. Saved money and sanity.

That being said, if I need to subscribe temporarily for something like Summer or Winter Olympics, I will do so, but will have to see if that's needed for the sports I want to watch.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why were Chan/Howe not picked for Skate America with Knierim/ Frazier most likely being done C/H are the best US Pairs team by a wide margin.
He had surgery over the off season (shoulder?) and they thought he stood a better chance of recovery if they waited later. Unfortunately they’ve wd from their first GP already, so clearly he’s not recovered. Right now Ellie and Danny are US #1. I hope she can handle the pressure. I have no doubt he can.

I just rewatched this program and I have to say it is worth all the shopping, BIL grumbling, garage space using, and schlepping of stuffies to see skaters have that much fun with a stuffie, even if it ends up in the garbage 30 seconds later.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
skaters have that much fun with a stuffie, even if it ends up in the garbage 30 seconds later.
I'm pretty sure that does not happen. Unwanted stuffies are usually taken to local hospitals where they get a second life bringing great joy and comfort to our pediatric patients.

Think of all the Pooh's that Yuzu got over the years - most went directly to hospitals I am sure

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was sad to hear that Hocke/Kunkel have had their funding slashed so by their Federation even though they are German champions, European bronze medalists and now Skate America champions, weak field or no. They were not sure their coach would be able to be there until a few days before. I’m going to see if I can find a funding link.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I was sad to hear that Hocke/Kunkel have had their funding slashed so by their Federation even though they are German champions, European bronze medalists and now Skate America champions, weak field or no. They were not sure their coach would be able to be there until a few days before. I’m going to see if I can find a funding link.
Apparently their federation also takes a cut of their prize money

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm pretty sure that does not happen. Unwanted stuffies are usually taken to local hospitals where they get a second life bringing great joy and comfort to our pediatric patients.

Think of all the Pooh's that Yuzu got over the years - most went directly to hospitals I am sure
They're actually keeping it. She said it was on the way home:)