Posture tips? | Golden Skate

Posture tips?

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Does anyone have any tips on how to improve/correct posture?

I've always had terrible posture and now that I'm starting to advance more in my skating I find it is really starting to hold me back.

Jumps seems to come back quite easily to me, and ive managed to get pretty high and consistent sal, toe and loop in about four months but spins are another story...

Ive only just started recently being able to do a consistent one foot spin and hold it for a few revolutions, but even then my coach still says my upper body is leaning forwards.

We recently just started to work on a backspin, as Ive been told i need to learn this before a flip, but my posture has once again proven to be a setback.

Ive tried one of those posture correcting bands, but found it way too restrictive to skate in and dont feel comfortable wearing it incase I fall and cant move my arms as freely as id like.

So does anyone have any advice on how i could improve?

Thanks in advance[emoji4]

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Take a ballet class. I have shoulders that hunch forward naturally and ballet was the only thing that helped. Now I have pretty good posture which helps with dance and skating as well as just not being in normal life.

Silver Ice

On the Ice
Pilates can also help. It’s all about strengthening the core and working on proper posture. If you have specific things like this you want to work on, I’d suggest taking a private or semi-private class so the instructor can give you personal attention. It also helps with body awareness, so you can tell when little things are off and fix them more easily.

Sam L

Medalist
Does anyone have any tips on how to improve/correct posture?

I've always had terrible posture and now that I'm starting to advance more in my skating I find it is really starting to hold me back.

Jumps seems to come back quite easily to me, and ive managed to get pretty high and consistent sal, toe and loop in about four months but spins are another story...

Ive only just started recently being able to do a consistent one foot spin and hold it for a few revolutions, but even then my coach still says my upper body is leaning forwards.

We recently just started to work on a backspin, as Ive been told i need to learn this before a flip, but my posture has once again proven to be a setback.

Ive tried one of those posture correcting bands, but found it way too restrictive to skate in and dont feel comfortable wearing it incase I fall and cant move my arms as freely as id like.

So does anyone have any advice on how i could improve?

Thanks in advance[emoji4]

Two words: Backwards Lunge

You need to sit back further on your blade and lean your body more in the direction that it's going. In these cases, directly backwards.

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Take a ballet class. I have shoulders that hunch forward naturally and ballet was the only thing that helped. Now I have pretty good posture which helps with dance and skating as well as just not being in normal life.

I have the same problem with my shoulders, but am really hesitant about ballet. I have zero dancing ability, and am too embarrassed to try - there is an ongoing joke amongst my friends that I should have been born male, because I have the ultimate 'dad dancing' haha. I am a student too, so funding is tight.

If nothing else works, I will have to explore this avenue, but the thought of ballet terrifies me haha

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Pilates can also help. It’s all about strengthening the core and working on proper posture. If you have specific things like this you want to work on, I’d suggest taking a private or semi-private class so the instructor can give you personal attention. It also helps with body awareness, so you can tell when little things are off and fix them more easily.

Thanks, I will look into pilates. I think my gym offers free classes with my membership so hopefully this will help[emoji4]

Figuringitout

Rinkside
http://posturedirect.com/

Proceed with caution (of potential embarrassment, that is). Your posture is probably even worse than you think in ways you never even knew possible, but this guy can fix it. [emoji23]
Thanks for the link! I will definitely try some of these exercises!

Although you were right about my postute being worse than I think haha. I've always known Ive had rounded shoulders, but never knew flat feet was a posture problem too!

Figuringitout

Rinkside
Two words: Backwards Lunge

You need to sit back further on your blade and lean your body more in the direction that it's going. In these cases, directly backwards.
Thank you! I will practice back lunges a lot more now, hopefully itll help!

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I have the same problem with my shoulders, but am really hesitant about ballet. I have zero dancing ability, and am too embarrassed to try - there is an ongoing joke amongst my friends that I should have been born male, because I have the ultimate 'dad dancing' haha. I am a student too, so funding is tight.

If nothing else works, I will have to explore this avenue, but the thought of ballet terrifies me haha

Don't fear ballet! Beginner classes are more about proper alignment and technique than any actual dancing. Honestly, most of the barre exercises that start the class at the beginner level are about learning proper posture and extension. It's incredibly helpful for figure skating, especially when you think about how the the core/pelvis, back, shoulders, etc ought to be aligned. Plies also help with strengthening and correcting the proper knee and ankle bend while the things like tendus and degages are really useful for working the muscles used in the most fundamental elements of skating like crossover and stopping. Though pilates does help when it comes to building the core strength you need for skating, I personally find ballet more helpful when it comes to things like posture and alignment that are directly transferable to skating.