Lubov Ilyushechkina and Charlie Bilodeau to compete in pairs | Golden Skate

Lubov Ilyushechkina and Charlie Bilodeau to compete in pairs

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: Lubov Ilyushechkina, 27, Toronto, Ont., and Charlie Bilodeau, 25, Trois-Pistoles, Que., have formed a new skating partnership and will compete for Canada in the pairs discipline. Both skaters have previously been on the Canadian national team and have competed internationally with different partners.

More...

Ziotic

Medalist
I hope Julianne finds another quality partner and 4 teams can once again fight it out for 2022.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I admit I haven't been all that impressed with how Charlie handled the split with Julianne (not that I think he was obliged to stay with her, by any means).

Beyond the petty nationalistic reasons, I'll support this team mainly because Liubov is awesome and it was a shame that she didn't get to go to the Olympics last year, especially since she and Dylan were the ones who saved Canada's third pairs spot for Pyeongchang. Also, the pairs field has been seriously depleted this season, so it's always nice to have more teams.

As I expected, they're training with Richard and Bruno.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I admit I haven't been all that impressed with how Charlie handled the split with Julianne (not that I think he was obliged to stay with her, by any means).

Beyond the petty nationalistic reasons, I'll support this team mainly because Liubov is awesome and it was a shame that she didn't get to go to the Olympics last year, especially since she and Dylan were the ones who saved Canada's third pairs spot for Pyeongchang. Also, the pairs field has been seriously depleted this season, so it's always nice to have more teams.

As I expected, they're training with Richard and Bruno.

where else? they wouldn't train with Josée Picard who is practically a second mother to Julianne.... there is no other real center for pairs in Canada...Davison, Evans and others are okay but haven't trained olympic/world champions... Charlie said he was leaving Julianne to reach higher goals.. there is no way he would have trained anywhere else than with Gauthier and Marcotte...

ice_tulip

On the Ice

I remember reading about the split when it happened, but I don't recall how Charlie handled it. What did he do?

I am quite excited about this pairing. If Lubov can get her jumps more consistent (I know, big IF), they could be competitive with the top teams. I have the feeling they are going to match really well, much better than Lubov/Dylan and Charlie/Julianne.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Woah. :eeking: :shocked:

I just about choked on my lunch sandwich when I saw this in my Facebook newsfeed. I was never expecting that...

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
Although not a huge surprise considering the rumours of the past few months, this is good news for the Canadian pairs scene (and pairs in general). They both have untapped potential and I hope they can bring the best out of each other this quad (maybe even two). I/B for Montreal 2020!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Still sad for Julianne, but yay for Lubov! :hap10: Hope Charlie won't ditch if their partnership won't be as good as he wants...

ETA: Agree it's good for Pairs field, some quality should be back :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This will be interesting... I don't really see the chemistry there, but I've been proven wrong before when I was skeptical of mish-mash pairs (e.g. M-T/Marinaro, and the Chinese pairs swap).

Charlie just looks awkward and not very strong compared to Dylan, but they may still develop their own style.

If Lubov can get her SBS jumps in order, they should have the experience and the goods to at least give Walsh/Michaud a run for their money.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not so sure this will work. Lubov's jumps are problematic. I am not sure why she is a better choice than Julianne. Just like Kristen and DYlan Michael isn't as strong or doesnt' have as good technique as Dylan on the lifts. I know there was an issue how long Dylan would skate but so far it did not pay off really.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I am not so sure this will work. Lubov's jumps are problematic. I am not sure why she is a better choice than Julianne. Just like Kristen and DYlan Michael isn't as strong or doesnt' have as good technique as Dylan on the lifts. I know there was an issue how long Dylan would skate but so far it did not pay off really.

Kirsten wanted to go for 2022, while Dylan wasn't going to (he's retired now). That was the primary reason why they split. Even if it meant that Kirsten had to take one step back to take 2 steps forward, it's working. She and Mike are on the rise, improving a lot, doing well internationally, and have put themselves in a good position to contend for 2022. I'd consider the decision to have paid off since Kirsten is in a position to contend for 2022, which wouldn't have been possible had she stayed with Dylan

Julianne/Charlie didn't have an age issue - they're both young enough to stay until 2022 (and they both want to). They split because Charlie wanted more. imo he could have continued improving with Julianne but we'll see how he does with Lubov.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I know there was an issue how long Dylan would skate but so far it did not pay off really.
I mean, it kind of has. They're #1 in the country now, and they're well-positioned to go to 2022 if they still want to, and if that hadn't happened Canada wouldn't have any top-tier pairs teams this season.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The rumour machine had been working for a while, so I wasn't really surprised. I hope it works. I was pretty sad when Dylan ended his carrier and Lubov turned to performing elsewhere. I am glad she's back 'in the scene'. I still feel sorry for Julianne though.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
YAY LIUBOV!!! I really hope Julianne finds a new partner two, saw this coming from a mile away.

emdee

Final Flight
I think they will jell well. Lubov is great and Lifts and has a good twist.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
Very excited!! I'm glad Lyubov can continue. I thought she was criminally underused in the cirque show, glad to know that it was only temporary. Excited to see how they do together.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Wow! Thrilled for Lyubov. Hope the new team will have great success! :hap10: