Skate Canada Announces 2022-2023 National Team | Golden Skate

Skate Canada Announces 2022-2023 National Team

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: Skate Canada is happy to announce the 2022-2023 National Team. The National team consists of 35 members, which includes six men, three women, four pair teams and nine ice dance teams. To be named to the National Team, a skater must finish in the top three in senior men, women, pair and ice dance disciplines at the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships and/or be assigned to a 2022 ISU Grand Prix event and must be competing in the 2022-23 season.

Skate Canada also announced the three teams that will make up the Skate Canada Synchronized Skating National Team. The Synchronized Skating National Team comprises those teams finishing in the top three in senior discipline at the 2022 Skate Canada Synchronized Skating Championships.

Their appointment to the National Team is effective from July 1, 2022, through to June 30, 2023.

MEN

Keegan Messing, 30, Girdwood, Alaska, USA
Roman Sadovsky, 23, Vaughn, Ont.
Wesley Chiu, 17, Richmond, B.C.
Corey Circelli, 20, Toronto, Ont.
Conrad Orzel, 21, Woodbridge, Ont.
Stephen Gogolev, 17, Toronto, Ont.

WOMEN

Madeline Schizas, 18, Oakville, Ont.
Gabrielle Daleman, 24, Newmarket, Ont.
Alison Schumacher, 19, Tecumseh, Ont.

PAIR

Evelyn Walsh, 21, London, Ont. & Trennt Michaud, 25, Trenton, Ont.
Deanna Stellato, 39, Chicago, Illinois, USA & Maxime Deschamps, 30, Vaudreuil-Dorion, Que.
Lori Matte, 22, Lévis, Que. & Thierry Ferland, 23, Lévis, Que.
Brooke Mcintosh, 17, Toronto, Ont. & Benjamin Mimar, 21, Terrebonne, Que.

ICE DANCE

Piper Gilles, 30, Toronto, Ont. & Paul Poirier, 30, Unionville, Ont.
Laurence Fournier Beaudry, 29, Montreal, Que. & Nikolaj Soerensen, 33, Montreal, Que.
Marjorie Lajoie, 21, Boucherville, Que. & Zachary Lagha, 23, Saint-Hubert, Que.
Carolane Soucisse, 27, Chateauguay, Que. & Shane Firus, 28, North Vancouver, B.C.
Marie-Jade Lauriault, 25, Ste-Anne-des-Plaines, Que. & Romain Le Gac, 27, Nogent-sur-Marne, France
Haley Sales, 26, Kelowna, B.C. & Nikolas Wamsteeker, 26, Langley, B.C.
Alicia Fabbri, 19, Terrebonne, Que. & Paul Ayer, 24, Brossard, Que.
Molly Lanaghan, 23, Doncaster, UK & Dmitre Razgulajevs, 25, Ajax, Ont.
Miku Makita, 19, Annmore, B.C. & Tyler Gunara, 20, Burnaby, B.C

SYNCHRONIZED SKATING

Les Suprêmes, of CPA Saint-Léonard
NEXXICE, of the Burlington Skating Centre
Nova, of CPS NOVA

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
What is truly amazing is that they are going back to a larger team, including all skaters who are slotted in a GP : in these specific circumstances, the funding in ice dance in particular, is meaningful and could help support developing teams like Fabbri/Ayer (I didn't remember how young Alicia is... only 19... ) and Miku and Tyler. Same with men. Go Conrad ;)

A nice mixture of veterans and newcomers. YAY!

Sackie

Medalist
Weird that it is such a big Dance list giving we are down to only 2 teams for worlds 2023! Which has not been the case in a long time.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The women's list looks so small..I am delighted to see Gabby there and hope she has a great competition at skate Canada!
the next gen is huge... so I am just guessing that it is what it is... aside from Maddie anyways, (unless Gabby recovers fully) I am not sure Skate Canada should invest on the current seniors. The juniors have some potential.

Last edited:

rain

Record Breaker
Weird that it is such a big Dance list giving we are down to only 2 teams for worlds 2023! Which has not been the case in a long time.
I think it's a really good thing. All of the teams listed are incredibly deserving with lots of potential, and need international assignments. I'm thrilled to see that Piper and Paul are staying. I hope they do something really experimental this season. Why not swing for the fences? I think they kinda played it safe for the Olympic season and it backfired on them.

I wish them well, but our pairs field is really weak.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think it's a really good thing. All of the teams listed are incredibly deserving with lots of potential, and need international assignments. I'm thrilled to see that Piper and Paul are staying. I hope they do something really experimental this season. Why not swing for the fences? I think they kinda played it safe for the Olympic season and it backfired on them.

I wish them well, but our pairs field is really weak.
Yes, it's great that Piper & Paul are staying. I agree that their programs last season were not as good as previous years. I'm a big Piper & Paul fan, but I don't think the Long & Winding Road resonated as well as Vincent or Joni Mitchell. And the Elton John short dance, although fun, didn't work well with the judges, either. So I'm looking forward to them & their team coming up with new programs that work better for them this year. :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
And still no spot for us in the "United Cup"...go figure...
the United Cup : our players declined to participate... :) the way it works is that it's the top 6 men, then the top 6 women, then the top 6 teams with combined ranking... So I guess the "schedule" wasn't working out for Félix (as I am guessing he was invited as top 6) or for his woman partner ( I am guessing Leylah or Bianca.. but wouldn't know) ...

mrrice

Record Breaker
the United Cup : our players declined to participate... :) the way it works is that it's the top 6 men, then the top 6 women, then the top 6 teams with combined ranking... So I guess the "schedule" wasn't working out for Félix (as I am guessing he was invited as top 6) or for his woman partner ( I am guessing Leylah or Bianca.. but wouldn't know) ...
I agree. Canada was invited and they decided not to participate due to scheduling. I believe this event replaced the Hopman Cup. I think certain players decided not to participate because the final ends right as the Australian Open begins. I think the younger players like having the playing time. However, the older, higher seeded players know that they'll need to be rested if they want to make it to the second week of a Grand Slam.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
On the positive Skate Canada qualified 3 entries to the GP Final. Max and Deanna have shown promise but admittedly not winning a medal at the GP final was a huge blow. They have not had a great or clean freeskate and they need a clean routine because they have no huge elements like other teams or ultra c elements.

IN dance Piper and Paul look amazing but at the GP final there were signs the judges want Chock and Bates on top so they will have to really work on consistency, ensuring they get all level 4's, no errors and her line. They need to figure out a way to garner 3 or 4 more points beween the RD and FD. The Danadians also showed signs of hope but that tragic fall in the GPF may have ended their uphill trajectory. they needed to beat the British team and they didn't with the fall. Any chance of being Canada no. 1 sort of ended and now they look like that Canadian team that will get lost in the sh uffle - remember Weapo got lost twice in the Oly shuffle and came seventh twice when certrainly in 2018 they could have been as high as third.

I really like Keegan and am pulling for him but he kind of is limping to the finish line. I don't see him trying to improve enen techically ie the quad lutz, he is horribly inconsistent and is competitive only because the other Canadian men are inconsistent. He has natural style and strong skating but he is sort of regressing and not improving. Sometimes a family can be helpful and sometimes not. I know he loves his family and we see that at competitions but he seems to be lacking focus or certainly results from possibly bronze medallist he could be out of the top 12. Roman is a skater with huge potential. Great skating skills but like Nam Nguyen and Gogo boy the height doesn't seem to help/ work. He too is even more inconsistent than Messing who has an exciting roar about his skating. I wonder with Roman nothing against Tracey Wainman if he needs a new coach if not to create new fire in him. Yes, both Messing and Roman are still faves ifnot because there isn't much ready to compete in mens. Gogo boy is still a hot mess and has regressed jump wise. He doesn't have those quads since his growth -and he isn't as artistic as say even Nam who never could regain his world junior title. Cory is so so. so it looks like unless Gogo gets it togehter Canada is stuck in mediocrity with Messing and Roman.

There are going to be lucky pairs teams going to worlds. Deanna and Max are a sure things only because the top teams have retired or split up. I was hoping they would have some bigger individual jumps ie triple toe triple toe combo or a triple flip or lutz. But they are just doing the same tricks we saw al most back to the g and g days though they did only a throw double axel they did have a quad twist. Two other teams get to go to the worlds if they have world minimums It would be awesome if Deanna and Max could win a world medal and not out of the range.

Ladies well despite Madi having a so so year with Daleman injured and out its her's to lose and even if shelose she will probably be picked to go. The ladies are very weak. Madi showed great signs at the olympics early this year but has not capitalized at all.

I thought Michael Slipchuk was leaving and there was hope of new blood to the Canadian program.