18:30
SENIOR ELITE 12 – FREE

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow 😮!! Lia Cho killed it today!
This was her best free skate!
She peaked when it mattered the most and won the Novice Ladies by more than 30 points.

3F 2T (redemption! No fall on the 2T)
3Lz (clean all season long 👏)
2A 3T (clean with positive GOE for first time) 👏
3Lo (nailed it; her hardest triple and the first time landed with positive GOE) 👏
3S (clean all season long) 👏
3F (clean all season long) 👏
2A eu 3S (clean all season long)

Overall clean skate!! 👏
What a competitor!!

Free skate score of 112+
Overall score 166.56 👏
(Beating her National record by over 13 points) 👏

Edit: waiting for actual protocols to come out to confirm
The 2A 3T was fully rotated 👏
Her 3Lo was assigned with a q

Last edited:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
At age 11, can you move up to the Junior ranks in Canada?
Here is the information on the categories for Skate Canada. There isn't a minimum age for juniors/seniors, so in cases like Stephen Gogolev, they can compete as seniors domestically before they're eligible as juniors internationally.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
no sound on novice women LP ?

loved watching Kento... promising in the skating skills and musicality department.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here is the information on the categories for Skate Canada. There isn't a minimum age for juniors/seniors, so in cases like Stephen Gogolev, they can compete as seniors domestically before they're eligible as juniors internationally.
Great!! I hope Lia competes in Junior Girls next season, as a 12 year old. She has nothing left to achieve in Novice and needs to push herself against harder competition.

I also hope Lulu moves up to Senior Women and that Gabby makes a comeback next season.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
no sound on novice women LP ?

loved watching Kento... promising in the skating skills and musicality department.
Yes. I just realized this this morning as I wanted to rewatch the last flight and Lia’s interview with Ted 🫤

When I watched live, yesterday, there was no sound for group 3, but, then the sound came back for group 4 and I was able to enjoy the last flight of skaters (now, there is no sound in the video archive for this final flight). Yesterday, I stopped watching after Lia’s scores, as I had to go back to work and I planned to watch the medal ceremony and interview afterwards. But, now, there is no sound 😩

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Great!! I hope Lia competes in Junior Girls next season, as a 12 year old. She has nothing left to achieve in Novice and needs to push herself against harder competition.

I also hope Lulu moves up to Senior Women and that Gabby makes a comeback next season.
Lia has to move up to Junior. From Skate Canada's Control of Competitons:

The winner or the winning pair or ice dance team of a Novice Event discipline at the Canadian Figure Skating Championships is not eligible for the same Event discipline again.
I hope she does spend a bit more time as a Junior domestically since she has more time before she's eligible to compete as one internationally. She is exciting, that's for sure, but I want to see how she'll do with more time to pace herself and grow into a Senior :)

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Lia has to move up to Junior. From Skate Canada's Control of Competitons:

I hope she does spend a bit more time as a Junior domestically since she has more time before she's eligible to compete as one internationally. She is exciting, that's for sure, but I want to see how she'll do with more time to pace herself and grow into a Senior :)
Perfect!! This is awesome news!!
I love this rule!!! 😍
If you win Novice, you have to move up to Juniors the following year. Especially for really talented younger girls like Lia👍
Aleksa, Mely-Ann and Kara will be tough competition for her next year. The difference between skating skills between those three and Lia is somewhat noticeable. So, I do hope Lia works on skating skills and doesn’t just focus on jumps.
I agree with you. I don’t think she would be ready for the Junior Grand Prix circuit next year. She should take advantage and take her time to develop as a well rounded skater, prior to going to the Junior GP circuit. She has a lot of improvements to be made, specifically with skating skills. Domestically, 5 Junior events is enough. I can’t wait to watch her develop. I believe she has two more seasons, after this season, before she is eligible for Juniors.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
kara? if and only if she recovers from this terrible season.
Yes. Kara’s season was mixed. But, I think she is still locked in for a JR Grand Prix spot due to how well she did at her GP spot last year.

Please note that without the Bonus points Lia gets at Novice, she would lose about ten points from her overall score putting her in the 150+ area.

Her biggest challengers from Juniors domestically would be the medalists at the two big events (removing Lulu), we get:

Aleksa (National/Challenger silver medalist) 150+ at both events
Mely-Ann (National bronze medalist)
Her performance at Quebec Sectionals was 👏
Kara (Challenger bronze medalist)
She scored 150+ internationally; amazing result; the second best behind Hetty from a Canadian junior girl

These three skaters are inconsistent. But, might give Lia a push if they are close technically.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes. Kara’s season was mixed. But, I think she is still locked in for a JR Grand Prix spot due to how well she did at her GP spot last year.

Please note that without the Bonus points Lia gets at Novice, she would lose about ten points from her overall score putting her in the 150+ area.

Her biggest challengers from Juniors domestically would be the medalists at the two big events (removing Lulu), we get:

Aleksa (National/Challenger silver medalist) 150+ at both events
Mely-Ann (National bronze medalist)
Her performance at Quebec Sectionals was 👏
Kara (Challenger bronze medalist)
She scored 150+ internationally; amazing result; the second best behind Hetty from a Canadian junior girl

These three skaters are inconsistent. But, might give Lia a push if they are close technically.
you are so far ahead ;) i cannot bring my mind to think about JGP season yet ;) not before worlds are done with :) Who knows how many spots Canada will have ? They may send Uliana if she is still age eligible... Same with Rose (which I believe is fine for age). etc...

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
you are so far ahead ;) i cannot bring my mind to think about JGP season yet ;) not before worlds are done with :) Who knows how many spots Canada will have ? They may send Uliana if she is still age eligible... Same with Rose (which I believe is fine for age). etc...
Uliana and Rose are both turning 17 before July 1, so they'll be junior and senior eligible next season. I think they'll stick with juniors internationally for now, with maybe a senior Challenger. Should be a fun NextGen competition for the junior women for the JGP spots though :popcorn:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I'm tuning in for Senior Elite 12 Synchro, and I have to say the crowd is great, I can hear them singing along to All Star while the ice is being resurfaced :rock:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Nexxice Elite 12 - I'm a sucker for Kiss From A Rose. A few slips, but I liked it. Crowd also shouted "Baby!" when the chorus came on. I would do that too. I also like that the one man on the team got ombre pants to blend into his skates, good detail (y)

Black Gold Elite 12 - Black and Gold for them 😆 Not at the same level as Nexxice yet, but good to see another Elite 12 team competing and from Alberta too :)

Last edited: