Team Canada at JGP Latvia

Men
Eric Liu
Joseph Phan

Ladies
Kaiya Ruiter (JGP debut)

Ice dance
Natalie D'Alessandro & Bruce Waddell
Isabel McQuilkin & Jacob Portz (JGP debut)

Kaiya indeed makes her debut. I can't recall the last time Canada sent somebody that young out to the ladies' JGP.

Looks like a good field for Natalie and Bruce; they could win the silver medal there.

I'm glad it looks like Joseph will be able to compete, though boy is that a tough field, by comparison.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Going to younger skaters, I really liked Reese Rose and Tara Maria Ienciu. They are both pre novices, but have nice 3T, 3S and 2A (Tara). Reese triple jumps are generally URs, but she is so young. I am not sure how old is Tara. She looks quite young.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Team Canada at JGP Latvia

Ice dance
Natalie D'Alessandro & Bruce Waddell
Isabel McQuilkin & Jacob Portz (JGP debut)

Looks like a good field for Natalie and Bruce; they could win the silver medal there.

More likely bronze: Kazakova/Reviya (6th at JW) and Ukrainians Golubtsova/Belobrov will likely outscore them in Latvia.

I'm glad it looks like Joseph will be able to compete, though boy is that a tough field, by comparison.

Obviously, Grassl is the top player here. Russian Mozalev had a slightly higher SB than Phan whose SB is higher than Torgashev's. But Mozalev was inconsistent last year, winning gold in his first outing, but placing 6th in his second. And you never know what to expect from Andrew Torgashev.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
and Ukrainians Golubtsova/Belobrov will likely outscore them in Latvia.
I wouldn't call that "likely". The Ukrainians competed at two events last year and lost to Bronsard/Bouaraguia at one of them. They're potentially competitive.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bronsard / Bouaraguia beat the Ukrainians at the Czech event, but Golubtsova / Belobrov beat the Canadians in Armenia. I'd give the Ukrainians the edge simply because like Armenia, Latvia is a former SSR where the judging panel is likely to contain several judges from former SSRs.

e.g., the Armenian panel: HUN BLR GEO UKR EST USA CAN GER RUS--hardly a well-balanced group.

The panels at JGP events tend to reflect to some extent the countries competing there. At the Latvian event, in addition to CAN USA RUS UKR FRA there are also teams from BLR EST GEO UZB, so you might expect to see some of those countries represented on the panel, as well as LAT. It's a lot cheaper to import judges from close neighboring countries than from Western Europe.

Andrea82

Medalist
Bronsard / Bouaraguia beat the Ukrainians at the Czech event, but Golubtsova / Belobrov beat the Canadians in Armenia. I'd give the Ukrainians the edge simply because like Armenia, Latvia is a former SSR where the judging panel is likely to contain several judges from former SSRs.

e.g., the Armenian panel: HUN BLR GEO UKR EST USA CAN GER RUS--hardly a well-balanced group.

The panels at JGP events tend to reflect to some extent the countries competing there. At the Latvian event, in addition to CAN USA RUS UKR FRA there are also teams from BLR EST GEO UZB, so you might expect to see some of those countries represented on the panel, as well as LAT. It's a lot cheaper to import judges from close neighboring countries than from Western Europe.

Feds with a skater entered in the event are asked to nominate a judge. If more than 9 are nominated, they will make a drawn before RD. Those not drawn for RD will be used in the FD.
So yes, the panel in Riga will reflect the teams entered, depending on which Feds have judges available/interested for that particular week.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Bronsard / Bouaraguia beat the Ukrainians at the Czech event, but Golubtsova / Belobrov beat the Canadians in Armenia.
While there are always political factors in dance, in Armenia Aissa stepped out of his twizzles, which cost them a few points in the RD and meant they skated outside the final FD group; so those results are not just about who's on the judging panel. And Natalie and Bruce are a more experienced and probably overall better team, at least they were when we last saw them (stay tuned!).

Scout

Final Flight

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
The Quebec Summer Skate is happening this weekend. I think Hannah Dawson and Véronik Mallet are scheduled. When is the ladies sp?

Roo87

Medalist
Julianne spotted coaching a junior team (Perreault/St-Louis)... I screamed in excitement (they were really good, too!). She’ll be there to watch Charlie, damn that girl has guts.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yup. I saw julianne too. Veronik is warming up so she will be skating. So is alicia pineault

Kittosuni

Medalist
OK’ish first SP outing from Liubov/Charlie. She survived the SBS 3T but not the throw. Everything looks small from movements to elements. I also dont love the music selection. Fingers crossed for a better LP

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Lubov did not miss a single jump in the warm up and the sp. Charlie was the one having tight landings. It seems to me that timing on the ice is more in synch than when she skated with dylan. I liked the music. You will not see a lp from them tomorrow. They were planning to only skate the short.

Roo87

Medalist
The senior dance event at the Quebec Summer Champ is staked, basically a challenger series.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
random question

why does this thread doesn't have a canadian flag???? other national threads do....