2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Canadian Figure Skating

Tavi...

Record Breaker
random question

why does this thread doesn't have a canadian flag???? other national threads do....

I don’t know how the flags get there, but you could always ask in the feedback forum to have it put in. I’m sure the admins would be glad to oblige.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
thanks.. i guess it is up to the thread opener ... maybe the colonel can add it on himself ;) if not... well... mods anyone? lol

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I thought I used to see the flag next to the thread name on the list of threads. I no longer see it there for this (or any other) national thread. But I do see it next to the thread name on the first post of the thread.

---------------------

added: I exited from GS and came back, and now I see the flags on the thread list (both this and England/Ireland one).

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Emmy and Aissa's second JGP assignment is Croatia. Nadiia and Peter were previously announced as competing there, so this will probably be a very important matchup in terms of determining who gets to go to the Youth Olympics.

Roo87

Medalist
Was really impressed with the junior and senior pairs teams this weekend past, the future in pairs in bright!

Ziotic

Medalist
Was really impressed with the junior and senior pairs teams this weekend past, the future in pairs in bright!
Completely agree!

People were so worried about pairs for Canada but really with practice and polish there will quite a few teams vying for those spots in Beijing.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Team Canada at JGP Russia:

Alec Guinzbourg
Iliya Kovler
Olivia Gran
Patricia Andrew & Zach Daleman
Brooke McIntosh & Brandon Toste
Nadiia Bashynska & Peter Beaumont
Irina Galiyanova & Grayson Lochhead

Team Canada at the Autumn Classic:

Keegan Messing
Conrad Orzel
Gabrielle Daleman
Michelle Long
Veronik Mallet
Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier
Carolane Soucisse & Shane Firus

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
with the number of men and dance teams we have, they could have invited 3 at ACI

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
nice to see Edrian on the list.... for ACI...

the women field is jam packed... wow...

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
with the number of men and dance teams we have, they could have invited 3 at ACI
That they didn't suggests to me that they're going to be sending more people abroad. Last year it was, outside of ACI, one per discipline per event at Finlandia, US Classic, etc.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Or that something is up with Sales & Wamsteeker and Lajoie & Lagha, and they are starting their seasons late for some reason. Still, I'd have thought Canada would invite Fabbri & Ayer or Lanaghan & Razgulajevs here. Anyway, as long as the teams get the chance at a CS, that's what's important.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my issues with, for instance fabbri-ayer just to name one team, not getting aci (unless they go somewhere else) is that they need judges to see them and also, ranking points... why not easily give that to one of your emerging teams?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
my issues with, for instance fabbri-ayer just to name one team, not getting aci (unless they go somewhere else) is that they need judges to see them and also, ranking points... why not easily give that to one of your emerging teams?

It seems like comparable teams to Fabbri & Ayer usually do. Bent & Razgulajevs were 9th at Junior Worlds as well; and they attended Lake Placid International and two Challengers (probably had to earn a certain score in order to get the second).

There are plenty of CS events ahead, and Canada does often send developing teams to the U.S. Classic as well as the one in Canada. It's just not like Canada not to use the 3rd spot at the Autumn Classic so that's why I wonder if another team might have been scheduled for the spot & then dropped it.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It seems like comparable teams to Fabbri & Ayer usually do. Bent & Razgulajevs were 9th at Junior Worlds as well; and they attended Lake Placid International and two Challengers (probably had to earn a certain score in order to get the second).

There are plenty of CS events ahead, and Canada does often send developing teams to the U.S. Classic as well as the one in Canada. It's just not like Canada not to use the 3rd spot at the Autumn Classic so that's why I wonder if another team might have been scheduled for the spot & then dropped it.

possible... and that may be lala but let's not speculate... marjorie was at CQÉ and looked happy and cheery... did not see Zach... there is also Fisher and Malette Paquette who were promising until injuries slowed them down last year... but yeah... even if another team was slotted, why not have a sub? It's in Canada, it's cheap... :) and it's needed...even with men... for instance, a guy like Joseph may be competing on the JGP but getting him TES minimums early in the season could be useful later on.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
even if another team was slotted, why not have a sub?

I just thought that if another team was slotted there, then teams like Fabbri & Ayer and Lanaghan & Razgulajevs might already be scheduled for something else and then, of course, want to stick to the plans & schedule they were/are already on.

I do assume that Canada has a certain criteria that has to be met in order for a team to earn a Challenger event, the same as the U.S. has for teams making the International Selection Pool. As far as I've seen, those two teams + the five named to the National Team are probably all of the Canadian dance teams currently in the running for Challenger berths.

Fisher & Malette-Paquette could be too if they are making the move up to seniors, but they are apparently not on any lists and none of the dance fans I've asked throughout the summer have heard or seen any sign that they are training. (Have you heard or seen any sign of it since March?) In that case, though, it seems likely that for some reason they aren't ready because young North American teams usually get out early in the summer and compete. They have more time than the top senior teams to prepare for the next season and they usually use it to get a jump start, going to events like Lake Placid in order to earn senior minimums or the Quebec summer event in order to get a run-through under their belt & feedback before trying to earn a Challenger score that will get a team another international event.