ISU Skating Awards | Golden Skate

ISU Skating Awards

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
[h=1]ISU Skating Awards online voting platform open for pre-registration[/h]The ISU Skating Awards is a new addition to the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020. The ISU Skating Awards will take place in conjunction with the World Championships on Sunday, March 22, 2020 between 16:00 – 18:30 EDT (21:00 – 23:30 GMT) in Montreal, Canada.

The ISU Skating Awards is a combination of the Exhibition Gala and an Awards show in honor of all those who participated in the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2020. In tradition with the Exhibition Gala format, the 2020 world medalists will perform an exhibition number that will be coupled with live musical acts and exciting production numbers that combine contemporary skating and dance. For the first time ever at the World Championships cirque nouveau will also be on display during the show. Seven Award categories for Skaters, Coaches and Choreographers will be awarded.

As of today, the public, media and ISU Member Federations can pre-register on the ISU Skating Awards online voting platform.

The public can pre-register on the online voting platform and will only be able to cast one vote per user in the following categories: Most Valuable Skater, Best Costume, Most Entertaining Program, Best Newcomer.

Media can also register via the “Media Registration” section. All media registration requests will be vetted by the ISU Media Team and media will have the possibility to vote in the following categories: Most Valuable Skater, Best Costume, Most Entertaining Program, Best Newcomer, Best Choreographer, Best Coach.

On December 1, 2019 a long list of candidates will be announced, and the online voting will officially commence, allowing the public, media and ISU Member Federations to vote for their favorite candidates.

All parties will have the opportunity to vote from December 1, 2019 to February 10, 2020.

Once the votes close on February 10, 2020 three nominees in each category will be selected and officially announced on March 10, 2020.
The winners will be determined by a star-studded Jury and will be revealed and presented with their Award at the ISU Skating Awards on March 22, 2020.

ISU Skating Awards categories
There are seven Award categories:

1. Most Valuable Skater: Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple who best managed to increase the level of popularity of Figure Skating with their fan base, media attention and sponsor appreciation.
  2. Best Costume: Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple whose costume reflects creativity, contemporary implementation, fashion, style and originality.
  3. Most Entertaining Program: Honors the Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple whose program had the best music selection, expression, creativity, contemporary implementation, originality and overall performance.
  4. Best Newcomer: Honors a talented Single Skater or Pair or Ice Dance Couple competing very successfully in ISU Events on the Senior level for the first season.
  5. Best Choreographer: Honors the choreographic work of a Choreographer who successfully inspired one or several Single Skaters and/or Pairs and/or ice Dance Couples.
  6. Best Coach: Honors a Coach who delivered professional and efficient work and achieved outstanding results with one or several Single Skaters and/or Pairs and/or ice Dance Couples.
  7. Lifetime Achievement Award: Honors a Figure Skating legend having achieved great success and popularity and is considered a role model in the Figure Skating World.

For further information on the ISU Skating Awards, please consult the FAQ on the ISU Skating Awards page and the Montreal2020’s FAQ.

The ISU, Skate Canada and Art on Ice held a press conference on October 26, 2019 to unveil and explain the ISU Skating Awards. The full press conference is available on demand on the Skating ISU YouTube channel.

To receive the latest information on the #ISUSkatingAwards please subscribe to the ISU Newsletter here.

:rock:

This could be a clean sweep for the Eteri T. school. ;) (Best costume, Anna Shcherbakova. :rock: )

But I have to go with Yuzuru Hanyu for "most valuable" and Michelle Kwan for Lifetime Achievement Award. :yes:

katymay

Medalist

This could be a clean sweep for the Eteri T. school. ;) (Best costume, Anna Shcherbakova. :rock: )

But I have to go with Yuzuru Hanyu for "most valuable" and Michelle Kwan for Lifetime Achievement Award. :yes:

Bantu for most valuable, 3A as a group for newcomer, and Scott Hamilton for lifetime achievement, or Tarasova

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

I support your costume nomination. :biggrin:
Hanyu should win the first one though, no doubt.

However, I have doubts about this award, do we already know if it's audited, and if yes, which company will audit this award?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is in CANADA. Lifetime achievement award will go to a Canadian skater or coach.

This is in CANADA. Lifetime achievement award will go to a Canadian skater or coach.

So, as I understand it there is an on-line vote to select the top three in each category, then a "star-studded jury" will chose the winners? Ah. OK. ;)

It could still be a Russian sweep, though. Russian fans just need to get their voting organized.

Most valuable this season: Alina Zagitova (valuable meaning endorsements, publicity for the sport, etc.) Or Evgenia Medvedeva, if they really need a Canadian connection. :devil:
Lifetime Achievement: Plushenko.
Newcomer: Alexandra Trusova (depending on the rest of the Grand Prix season).
Coach this season: Tutberidze
Choreographer this season: Gleichenhaus

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
1. Yuzu
2. some Ukranian boy who skated in JGP :biggrin:
3. Papadakis/ Cizeron (they tick all the boxes named in criterias of the award)
4. Sasha Trusova
5. Romain Haguenaur or Carol Lane (those two would be my choice) but Lori Nichol is the most realistical one
6. Eteri (should be if current achievments are the main criteria) or Marie France/ Brian (cause we will be in Canada ;))
7. Caro (if we are going for a role model criteria of todays skaters) or Boitano (if Eteri and South Park authors are the one who need to decide :biggrin:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Deleted. Not worth trying to share information with closed-minded cynics.

katymay

Medalist
Ah well, given the panel, I think it might be Tatiana Tarosova for the lifetime achievement award. I get the feeling they mean someone much older who has contributed much to the sport, and she has. The only issue might be if Russia sweeps the rest of the awards- (except costuming-lol), they might hesitate to also award a Russian the Lifetime award. (In that case, I wish they would award it to Scott Hamilton).

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So, as I understand it there is an on-line vote to select the top three in each category, then a "star-studded jury" will chose the winners? Ah. OK. ;)

It could still be a Russian sweep, though. Russian fans just need to get their voting organized.

Apparently there is a complication in that they are trying to restrict the impact of the skaters' home country (let's see if I've got this embed right, probably not...)

View attachment 994

... which may have been put in with Yuzu's Japanese fans (aka much of the country) in mind, to stop an absolute deluge, but to be honest - and has been noted on twitter - is probably going to affect his votes rather less than most others given his popularity outside his home country. The Russian wunderkids and even moreso Alina and Evgenia may benefit from the same (Alina is very popular in Japan as well as her home country).

ice coverage

Record Breaker

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
General comment: For anyone who cares about the rules, I recommend reading through all the FAQs.

In my previous post, I copied some of my paraphrasing (from the old thread) re offsetting national bias.
I was not able to open TallyT's attachment, but one part of the FAQs is (emphasis added):

How are the public, ISU Members and media on-line votes taken into account?

The ISU Skating Awards Selection Commission will take into account the on-line voting results of each of the 3 voting groups with the same weight, i.e. Public 1/3 - Media 1/3 - ISU Member Federations 1/3. Only on-line votes submitted via the ISU on-line voting platform will count.
For the determination of result of the Public on-line vote and Media on-line vote, the ISU Skating Award Selection Commission will take into account for each Award category:
a) the absolute number of on-line votes per candidate including on-line votes from all countries
b) the absolute number of on-line votes per candidate including on-line votes from all countries but not including the on-line votes from the Candidates country of origin.
c) the number of on-line votes per candidate broken down by on-line votes from each country
d) considering this first-time edition of the ISU Skating Awards and related totally unknown on-line voting result and proportion by country of the result, the ISU Skating Award Selection Commission will weigh the above-mentioned on-line results details with the objective to determine the final Nominees reflecting a fair and balanced world-wide opinion.

It's even bigger nonsense than I thought it would be...and that's saying something.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
To be fair, they are probably trying to take into account fannish over-enthusiam ("of course Yuzu can be best coach! we've seen the video of him coaching adorable Japanese babies and no one said it couldn't just be for one day!!" "Of course Eteri should get Lifetime award, she's packed enough into the last two years for anyone's lifetime!" "of course Nathan Chen should get best costume, his mum made it!" "of course Alina should be best newcomer, she's... fairly new!!!")

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I've griped my gripe, and now I'm going to wait and see.
This may be a great show.
I'll give it a chance. --And I will vote for Yuzu as Best coach. :biggrin:

Just kidding, Yuzu for MVP, Best Costume and Best prograaam!
But my vote won't do anything due to the country restriction. :dumb:

Last edited: