ISU Figure skating Awards | Golden Skate

News ISU Figure skating Awards

News

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
ISU presented more information on the next ISU figure skating Awards. Voting should be open from yesterday (11 december 2023) but I found out that in reality voting starts on the 15th of December.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was trying to find a list of the nominees but finally just went in, set up my account, and voted. I don't know that I'm 100% convinced of the whole concept, but I figured I might as well vote. Very easy to do. I voted about an hour ago, so I was able to get in.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sorry, I am going to be negative, but half baked gobbledygook from Ari Z. once again.

No list of the nominees except what fans have compiled?

And so how much is fan voted and how much a panel of experts?

:scratch2:

icewhite

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, I am going to be negative, but half baked gobbledygook from Ari Z. once again.

I don't think there is any panel of experts. The nominees seem purely chosen by fans. And the final result will be the result of the fans' voting. It's nothing but a popularity vote.

Honestly, I voted for the fun, but this whole thing holds no worth whatsoever and I fear the ceremony will be embarrassing again.

Amei

Record Breaker
I don't think there is any panel of experts. The nominees seem purely chosen by fans. And the final result will be the result of the fans' voting. It's nothing but a popularity vote.

Honestly, I voted for the fun, but this whole thing holds no worth whatsoever and I fear the ceremony will be embarrassing again.

I'm unsure about the nomination process leading up to the fan vote, but the fan vote is only a component, It then goes to a panel selected by the ISU to pick the winners.

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

If memory serves me right, the fans vote for the top three, but a panel of experts decide the winner from among the top three.

I have no idea how the experts nominate these choices, but I'm still gonna vote anyway to support my favorite skaters and my favorite coach... :shrug:

Amei

Record Breaker
If memory serves me right, the fans vote for the top three, but a panel of experts decide the winner from among the top three.

I have no idea how the experts nominate these choices, but I'm still gonna vote anyway to support my favorite skaters and my favorite coach... :shrug:

The panel last year was a hot mess almost all of the "panel" was either from North America, British or lived in the US for years.. you guessed it the award winners were almost all Americans or Canadians. So glad the ISU is showing fans that voting blocs still exist.

hop456

Rinkside
I could vote but only in 6 categories, there was no category for lifetime achievement or special achievement. Is there a reason for this?

yuumagical

"There is always something to love."
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could vote but only in 6 categories, there was no category for lifetime achievement or special achievement. Is there a reason for this?
I'm pretty sure the lifetime achievement and special achievement awards are at the discretion of the judging panel, there wasn't a public vote for those awards in past years either. I suppose it's similar to lifetime achievement awards in other industries...

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The panel last year was a hot mess almost all of the "panel" was either from North America, British or lived in the US for years.. you guessed it the award winners were almost all Americans or Canadians. So glad the ISU is showing fans that voting blocs still exist.

Well, we can blame (or credit) Ari Zakarian for that as well, can't we?. Of course, the previous "winners" we can blame or credit him for as well. ;)

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well, I couldn't even get in and saw no nominees. My address and password should have been the same as last year....nope. And recovering lead either to 'this address is already used' or "address not known" and not getting a mail. Sigh. Well, as far as I can see, most of you aren't really enjoying it, so I'll pass then.

Amei

Record Breaker
Well, I couldn't even get in and saw no nominees. My address and password should have been the same as last year....nope. And recovering lead either to 'this address is already used' or "address not known" and not getting a mail. Sigh. Well, as far as I can see, most of you aren't really enjoying it, so I'll pass then.

I don't necessarily hate the idea of them, its just...execution has always had some issues:
*some of the finalists have been head-scratchers
*last year at least the "panel" that selected the winners were primarily from or lived in North America and subsequently almost the winners were American or Canadian.
*the whole idea of the panel being the final vote on the 'winner', it feels the "fan vote" is just a dumb marketing ploy, they are going to select who they want regardless.
*An agent for skaters is involved in them... regardless of his clients talent it makes me wonder if he's putting his finger on the scale for his clients to win

Kris135

On the Ice
Oh no. Not this again.
I agree this is one of the stupidest ideas that I have ever seen.I watched some of this last year and outside of watching Ilia's performance it had no value as far I could see. I want skating to get a higher profile but there are much better ways of doing it. Last year the event dragged Ilia away from his training and stopped him from competing in 4CC's, something in long run he needs far more, to do this event and the associated two weeks of ices shows in Europe in run up fior worlds. This popularity contest is not needed and if Ari feels the need to put the fans though this again could we move all of this to end of the season so the skaters could train for Worlds uninterrupted and better yet stop this nonsense and find something else please.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree this is one of the stupidest ideas that I have ever seen.I watched some of this last year and outside of watching Ilia's performance it had no value as far I could see. I want skating to get a higher profile but there are much better ways of doing it. Last year the event dragged Ilia away from his training and stopped him from competing in 4CC's, something in long run he needs far more, to do this event and the associated two weeks of ices shows in Europe in run up fior worlds. This popularity contest is not needed and if Ari feels the need to put the fans though this again could we move all of this to end of the season so the skaters could train for Worlds uninterrupted and better yet stop this nonsense and find something else please.
I think these awards should be after Worlds. It shouldn't interrupt preparing for Worlds.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
While I agree with your sentiment, it didn't actually drag ilia away from 4CC- I believe he'd already committed to performing in Art on Ice shows prior to that and was going to miss it anyway. Same was also true of Knierim and Frazier.
The Art on Ice show made up much of the awards but there were other performances of the show in Europe around the same time so no way could they feasibly compete and do the shows.

I do recall them waking up Isabeau Levito really early to accept her award when she she should have been getting her rest as she was in Colorado Springs preparing to compete.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
I get the impression that they never would've dreamed to put it close to Europeans. But Four continents? Totally fine.

It seems like a lot of top US skaters don't care about 4ccs, Nathan went once and won and then never went back and he wasn't the only 1 that did similar.

4ccs from the US perspective is basically a consolation prize for not being on the Worlds or Olympic (if applicable) team

Last edited: