Figure Skating in South America | Golden Skate

Figure Skating in South America

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
South America is a continent better known for summer sports. However, the number of South American ISU member states is growing as well. So, according to Wikipedia, currently we have in ISU
Brazil (since 2002)
Argentina (since 2004)
Colombia (provisional member since 2015)
Chile (provisional member since 2019)
Peru (since 2019)
Ecuador (provisional member since 2021)

Also, I was told that in Chile the National Championship in figure skating is being held this Sunday (January 21st 2024).

Do we have many members from South America in Goldenskate forum? Can you tell more about development of figure skating there? Are there many skaters that currently represent the above countries internationally? What are the future prospects?

I am a huge fan of Latin American music so I would happily see more artistic impact on figure skating from creative people of this region.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
South America is a continent better known for summer sports. However, the number of South American ISU member states is growing as well. So, according to Wikipedia, currently we have in ISU
Brazil (since 2002)
Argentina (since 2004)
Peru (since 2019)

Also, I was told that in Chile the National Championship in figure skating is being held this Sunday (January 21st 2024).

Do we have many members from South America in Goldenskate forum? Can you tell more about development of figure skating there? Are there many skaters that currently represent the above countries internationally? What are the future prospects?

I am a huge fan of Latin American music so I would happily see more artistic impact on figure skating from creative people of this region.
Just check the bios of the skaters, and you will find out that most of them where born or raised way North of SA.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The local clubs are working hard to establish figure skating in their countries. It will not be easy, it took Mexico many years to raise up a Donovan Carrillo, but Donovan shows it can be done. (and of course he is a primary example of showcasing Latn music)

I am most familiar with the Peruvian club because Jason has traveled to Peru to give lessons there.

The first Latin American inter club competition was held two months (?) ago:

Ted Barton sending well wishes:

Articles:

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
This Sunday 21st. In Santiago, Chile Will take place the National championships 2023 - 2024 from 8am - 1pm CLST. (Chilean standard time) in Cero grados rink Mall Arauco Buenaventura . According with reply from the club organization in Instagram there will be Livestream on its YouTube channel.

Clubs participating are:

Club Lagos de hielo (Puerto Montt & Puerto Varas)
Club de hielo Bio Bio (Concepcion)
Magallanes figure skating club (Punta arenas)
Club bajo cero fsc (Santiago)

Yet there isn't published the start order.

Here's the announce of the National championships

https://www.instagram.com/p/C140cwSL0nK/?igsh=OG9ibzJ6cGczMmNk

And YouTube channel of the organization of the championship

In other post will share the Instagram of some clubs.

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
In this post will share the Instagram profiles from some Chilean clubs. If you wish follow the latest news from Chilean figure skating scene.

Club Lagos de hielo (Puerto Montt & Puerto Varas)

Club de hielo Bio Bio (Concepcion)

Magallanes figure skating club (Punta arenas)

Club bajo cero fsc (Santiago)

Of course ...
The Chilean federation of figure skating

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
A news from the upcoming national championship, an interview today Thursday in the radio to two of the figure skaters from Magallanes figure skating club that will compete this weekend.

(Article in Spanish)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A news from the upcoming national championship, an interview today Thursday in the radio to two of the figure skaters from Magallanes figure skating club that will compete this weekend.

(Article in Spanish)

Thank you Jorge.

I had the pleasure of staying in Punta Arenas for three days, 35 years ago. (traveled to Santiago for an (American) friend's wedding to a Chilleno. Decided to see as much of Chile as I possibly could after, since my chances of returning were slim. ). A fascinating region and I am so impressed that they are raising up figure skaters to send to the championships.

iceinsummer

Spectator
I AM a Brazilian Ice skating fan so in Brazil skating IS very popular but dont in Ice. Brazil IS a powerhouse in Summer skating and IS a panamerican champs. Many girls do class of Summer skating i doing too. In Ice skating Brazil have a four permaments Ice rings and have some girls of Summer skating trying a Ice skating now like a Maria Joaquina show compite some compites of isu juniors. Have a three couples in Ice dance represent Brazil but this couples IS skatings live in other countrys but with brazilian parents. In general Brazil have a project of Ice sports for exemple dont in skating but Brazil conqueror the first medal in winter olympics yesterday in gangwon a bronze in snowboarding so i Hope the Ice sports and the skating popularize so much hier and in some years Brazil have more Ice skatings in olympics
Brazil (since 2002)
Argentina (since 2004)
Peru (since 2019)

Anna K.

Medalist
Country
Latvia
The live stream of the national championship
Thank you for posting this!
Unfortunately I could not watch it in real time because of time difference and other things. I only watched a small part of this stream. I will return to it later and write a longer post about it then. The development of figure skating in Chile is in a very exciting transition phase from recreational skating to competitive skating and I definitely don't want to miss it.

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions about this national championship. What was the format of this competition? What were the rules and requirements and how the judging was done?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
The live stream of the national championship
I'll watch this in parts during the day, thanks for the opportunity to see it! That's a nice new rink. It looks, from the background off the ice (sign pointing to Trampoline Park, for instance), as if it's part of a sports complex? What is the size of that ice surface?

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
Thank you for posting this!
Unfortunately I could not watch it in real time because of time difference and other things. I only watched a small part of this stream. I will return to it later and write a longer post about it then. The development of figure skating in Chile is in a very exciting transition phase from recreational skating to competitive skating and I definitely don't want to miss it.

If you don't mind, I have a few more questions about this national championship. What was the format of this competition? What were the rules and requirements and how the judging was done?
I seen a part of the championship , but not fully.

There wasn't a transition, was right to competitive phase , here like our climate in the 80% of the Chilean territory don't snow except in two regions until 2000s didn't existed , I think maybe like Espn in cable tv was American signal and broadcasted all the ISU championships there was more knowledge about figure skating (currently ESPN signal is a signal for Mexico and nothing of figure skating or similar ☹️)

About rules is based on USFSA rules . Here is the rules but are from 2022 and maybe there is update of it.(in Spanish)

The judging I'm almost sure that is a standard judging panel, will check and post it ...

I'll watch this in parts during the day, thanks for the opportunity to see it! That's a nice new rink. It looks, from the background off the ice (sign pointing to Trampoline Park, for instance), as if it's part of a sports complex? What is the size of that ice surface?
Diana, yes is a new ice rink inside a sport complex and next to a mall, in 2023 was grand opening of it, the surface is natural ice (they always works with natural ice) about the size will confirm it and will post it. Happens that another ice rink was closed last year because the mall where was located changed their commercial plan and the ice rink in plaza Vespucio mall (was closer to home and used to ice skate there) doesn't fit to the new focus of it and had to close but the rink where was held the championship replaced the other .

Not exactly South America, but I was just reading about the Caribbean/Central American country of Belize (formerly British Honduras). They have just opened, or are about to open, the nation’s first outdoor-ice-skating-rink-and-ostrich-restaurant). The entrepreneur is an ostrich rancher and the rink will have an artificial ice surface. There was a delay because the courts had to decide whether ostriches were fowl or wildlife.

Some Canadian hockey players were enlisted to help out help out with the skating rink part. No word on involvement from the U.S. ambassador.

https://www.ranchcraftecopark.com/coming-soon

(Vo(ge)l-struthius is the Afrikans/Dutch word for ostrich. The restaurant does not yet serve ostrich steaks, only various tidbits, because the ranch hatched only four eggs this year so they had to rely on imported meat.)

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Not exactly South America, but I was just reading about the Caribbean/Central American country of Belize (formerly British Honduras). They have just opened, or are about to open, the nation’s first outdoor-ice-skating-rink-and-ostrich-restaurant). The entrepreneur is an ostrich rancher and the rink will have an artificial ice surface. There was a delay because the courts had to decide whether ostriches were fowl or wildlife.

Some Canadian hockey players were enlisted to help out help out with the skating rink part. No word on involvement from the U.S. ambassador.

https://www.ranchcraftecopark.com/coming-soon

(Vo(ge)l-struthius is the Afrikans/Dutch word for ostrich. The restaurant does not yet serve ostrich steaks, only various tidbits, because the ranch hatched only four eggs this year so they had to rely on imported meat.)
I wish them well in their unique business venture, but the juxtaposition of ostriches and skating somehow brought this irresistibly to mind: https://youtu.be/2RGrCyVuk :bsplit::laugh:

Edit: Sorry, it doesn't seem to have Shared as it promised. It was the ostrich ballerinas' comic section to Dance of the Hours from Disney's Fantasia. I always loved that part whenever it was shown again on TV when I was a kid.

skatingguy

On the Ice
I wish them well in their unique business venture, but the juxtaposition of ostriches and skating somehow brought this irresistibly to mind: https://youtu.be/2RGrCyVuk :bsplit::laugh:

Edit: Sorry, it doesn't seem to have Shared as it promised. It was the ostrich ballerinas' comic section to Dance of the Hours from Disney's Fantasia. I always loved that part whenever it was shown again on TV when I was a kid.

Me. too.

Disney strikes again. They are the most ruthless entity in the world on the issue of protecting their copyrights. A satirest even went to prison in the 1980s for making fun of Mickey Mouse. I did not feel sorry for the company when the original Mickey Mouse trademark expired this year after 95 years. Now it is legal to draw a picture of Mickey Mouse, but only in this original "Steamboat Willie" persona -- but not his modern appearance.

I am just glad that the fans of Miki Ando and Mao Asada. AKA the Miki-Maosketeers, never got in trouble. :)

Last edited:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I AM a Brazilian Ice skating fan so in Brazil skating IS very popular but dont in Ice. Brazil IS a powerhouse in Summer skating and IS a panamerican champs. Many girls do class of Summer skating i doing too. In Ice skating Brazil have a four permaments Ice rings and have some girls of Summer skating trying an Ice skating now like a Maria Joaquina show compite some compites of isu juniors. Have a three couples in Ice dance represent Brazil but this couples IS skatings live in other countrys but with brazilian parents. In general Brazil have a project of Ice sports for exemple dont in skating but Brazil conqueror the first medal in winter olympics yesterday in gangwon a bronze in snowboarding so i Hope the Ice sports and the skating popularize so much hier and in some years Brazil have more Ice skatings in olympics
Speaking of roller figure skating.. im surprised that is not a summer Olympic sport