Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Medvedeva's boot problem at Nationals

Tahuu

On the Ice
No, this was on top of the standard year out of competition (and the €200 per month was while Bruno was still with the FFSG). It took about two years for FFSG to bring their asking price down enough that the German federation would pay it, IIRC, and by then Bruno had already sat out the required year out of international competition and then some, lost his apartment and spent some considerable time basically living on thin air. He got more support from his parents and fiancee than from the federation that allegedly wanted him to stay in France.

Federations do not have to let anyone go, and they can be petty and nasty about it if there are petty, nasty people in charge. I remember hearing about more than one pair skater who's requested release from Russia and just been flatly denied in the wake of Katia Alexandrovskaya switching to Australia and promptly scooping some key junior medals out from under Russia's nose with Harley.

OK. But if Medvedeva and/or Zagitova were to change federation they might leave in good terms with the RusFed and be able to support themselves financially.

Albus

Match Penalty
I just read her boot fell apart and watched her sp in Russia. She skated very well and placed very well con side ring current Russian trends. It was what I expected as she is loved and held up. But she deserved to do well. I was thinking maybe she could apply for Canadian citizenship because she badly wants to get to another Olympics. What is the wait in Canada? I know right now she isn’t thinking this but so many countries would love to have her represent. With the whole drug ban issue continuing maybe she should give it thought if it is even possible. Canada has no lady right now who is top . I don’t think there is any junior either which is amazing given all that ice. In the USA we have BRADIE And Mariah and Alysa Liu coming up. Maybe more. I would hate to see Zhenya leave skating because Russia is so deep in jumpers now. Perhaps if she can learn a quad like Liza who is four years older. Mirai Nagasu learned triple axel relatively late. I think both Zhenya and Alina must do this in order to stay competitive. I don’t like Liza at all style wise but they gave her fourth. Because of the jumps. Others skated far better than her so in Russia you need a quad or two or two axels to stay on podium. Let us hope Zhenya does feel she can do this with Orser in the lead.

She could skate for Ukraine. I just want to see her overcome and skate again. She loves Russia but the Russfed has moved on from her so she needs to maybe do likewise. Opinions?

Maybe Canada should think about their own state and sports development? Instead of trying to buy out a b-player from those who are more developed and successful. Like free or at least widely affordable child-junior sport, progressive modern monetization, improving sportsmanship education to improve a graduation degree of their coaches and other things

DenissVFan

Medalist
What do you mean by "release"? The athletes can't pack up and go wherever they please?

As long as athletes represent countries and federations, they are tied to them, whether we like that or not. Most of the time they can't get an Olympic spot for themselves – only for their country (there are some exceptions, though, e.g. some spots in artistic gymnastics). Alexander Majorov wasn't even sent to the 2018 Olympics in spite of qualifying for it and being the best male skater in his country. The Swedish Olympic Committee didn't submit his entry because his scores were too low (but still enough to qualify for the Olympics and Worlds).

BlackAxel

Final Flight
Sadly, Evgenia is not going to compete today in the Ladies Free Skate. When it rains, it pours. :(

concorde

Medalist
As far as I know, first and foremost the Russian Fed has to release her. And that is not going to be easy, if even possible.
I'm not sure there's enough time for a country swap before Beijing.
Not to mention the huge media backlash she would receive for that...
And what if she switches countries? She can go to Worlds and Olympics. But is she going to be a medal contender? Most likely not without an Ultra-C element.
Same goes for Alina.
Imo, these girls are unfortunately caught in the middle of the technical revolution which probably they themselves started with the backloading. It just got so "out of hand" with the quads it's impossible to keep up as an "older" skater.
I see the term "Ultra-C element" on this board. I know it means the big point getters like the 3A and quads but I cannot understands how those jumps are linked to the term. Can you please explain.

My guess is the term was "coined" in Russia but its meaning gets lost in the translation.

Casual

On the Ice
As long as athletes represent countries and federations, they are tied to them, whether we like that or not. Most of the time they can't get an Olympic spot for themselves – only for their country (there are some exceptions, though, e.g. some spots in artistic gymnastics). Alexander Majorov wasn't even sent to the 2018 Olympics in spite of qualifying for it and being the best male skater in his country. The Swedish Olympic Committee didn't submit his entry because his scores were too low (but still enough to qualify for the Olympics and Worlds).

Talk about free cheese in a mousetrap... (state-funded sports). Barbaric slavery, basically.

This is the best argument yet to end the "represent national flag" madness, and switch to representing skating clubs, like NFL or soccer, or just individual skaters by themselves, like other sports.

Maybe then overzealous nations and their state officials can get their filthy hands off of athletes, and stop interfering in sports in the name of nationalistic pride.

pearly

Record Breaker
I see the term "Ultra-C element" on this board. I know it means the big point getters like the 3A and quads but I cannot understands how those jumps are linked to the term. Can you please explain.

My guess is the term was "coined" in Russia but its meaning gets lost in the translation.

I come from skating and have been wondering the same thing. I think it's a fan-made up term, or likely a term transferred from other sports such as snowboarding perhaps? It is not an official skating term. It's not in ISU rulebooks or handbooks.

Albus

Match Penalty

From Irina Viner Academy (artistic gymnastics). 3Lz-3Lp, 3A and the quads are considered as ultra-c. A - basic, B - moderate, C - professional. There were debates about 4+3 to be considered as ultra-c or higher
Or ("canonique") C - Elements of high complexity, ultra-c - elements of highest mastery

concorde

Medalist
From Irina Viner Academy (artistic gymnastics). 3Lz-3Lp, 3A and the quads are considered as ultra-c. A - basic, B - moderate, C - professional. There were debates about 4+3 to be considered as ultra-c or higher
Or ("canonique") C - Elements of high complexity, ultra-c - elements of highest mastery
Thank you![emoji2]

halulupu

Final Flight
Orser is to blame. Its his job to prevent this kind of catastrophic situations. Under eteri something like this wouldn't have happend

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Orser is to blame. Its his job to prevent this kind of catastrophic situations. Under eteri something like this wouldn't have happend

The stupidest comment I have ever read. The boots were new, a few weeks old and broke during practice, which was an unfortunate accident. No one could have anticipated that it would happen nor that there would be no high level boots in stores at Krasnojarsk as a replacement.

pearly

Record Breaker

Debates by who? Looking at ISU base value charts there are no A, B or C categories of elements for figure skating.

halulupu

Final Flight
The stupidest comment I have ever read. The boots were new, a few weeks old and broke during practice, which was an unfortunate accident. No one could have anticipated that it would happen nor that there would be no high level boots in stores at Krasnojarsk as a replacement.
What about bringing a second pair like other coaches do?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
What about bringing a second pair like other coaches do?

Most skaters do NOT take a second pair with them. It is not common to do that especially when you already have new boots. It takes weeks to break new pairs in and to mold then until you can skate comfortably with them and perform all of your jumps and skills in them. Breaking in two pairs of boots at the same time means less serious training time for a skater

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I would have loved it if Medvedeva switched to competing for Canada, but she said in her announcement that she will start next season at Russian test skate, so that’s that for now.