Aljona Savchenko considering a comeback | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Aljona Savchenko considering a comeback

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
this sounds crazy and is not allowed in the rules but probably the best partner for Aliona would be Ksenia S or Kirsten MT. Driven competitors who are fierce, have drive and partners that really could not keep up. The men just aren't 'strong' enough (in some cases physically it would appear cough Michael M.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
this sounds crazy and is not allowed in the rules but probably the best partner for Aliona would be Ksenia S or Kirsten MT. Driven competitors who are fierce, have drive and partners that really could not keep up. The men just aren't 'strong' enough (in some cases physically it would appear cough Michael M.

Haha, it may not be allowed, but you've definitely got a point here. Although I do think Bruno managed very well, as did Fedor....not so sure about Michael.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Aljona, at her age, and this point in the quad cycle, can come back, and can convince a suitable partner to come back with her, and if they can reach the next Olympics in form to compete for medals, either individually or as part of a team, I will be cheering her on.

But only if she's in form to compete for medals? Don't a great many competitors go to the Olympics with very little hope of a medal, but with a desire to compete and skate their best? Adam Rippon, Michal Brezina, pretty much all the American pairs in the past 15 years or so. Loena Hendricks was quoted in a recent article as saying she wasn't afraid of the "jumpers," that she found so many interesting things in skating other than jumping.

The way you worded that made me turn my questions around. I know Aljona has a great drive to win and for years she didn't display or even look at her two bronze Olympic medals. In 1988, Katerina Witt wanted another Olympic gold. The drive to win provides great motivation.

And yet ... Witt skated in the 1994 Olympics even though, according to Sandra Bezic, who choreographed for her for SOI at the time, Witt knew she wasn't competitive for a medal. She loved that her parents were finally able to attend and to see her skate in an Olympics. She also made quite the statement, with her Robin Hood SP and costume. I recently watched the top 6 or 8 long programs, and to me, Katerina's artistry gave an experience to viewers that no one else's skating did. No one's. I don't know ... maybe it was because she was skating for herself, not trying to prove anything. Or for love of the experience of competing. Maybe that's something Aljona misses, not just winning. Another example: Sasha Cohen tried (albeit unsuccessfully) to come back for 2010 olympics because, she said, she wanted another year of intensity.

I just hope (and believe) that Bruno can withstand the pressure to give Aljona another chance. He's said competition is very stressful for him. And he had the great advantage of knowing the kind of life he wanted to create, after the Olympics.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not terribly excited by it but I think it could add more attention to pairs and pairs desperately needs more positive attention.

So, I was thinking: what currently competing world-class pairs really have that magic together? Sui/Han, James/Cipres. Then again, even they didn't develop that magic, consistency and charisma overnight. It took both teams 8 or 10 years of skating together. Some world-class pairs are probably on their way with it right now. :hap10: And I'm optimistic: I'm even thinking of several American and Canadian pairs, not just the Russians and the Chinese.:)

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I always found the Plushy situation sad. From what I remember he wanted to skate the team event and then allow another Russian man to skate the men's event, correct? (Or has my memory completely fallen apart?) This would have given Kovtun the chance to skate for Russia but the rules of the Olympics would not allow the substitution. In the end it worked out okay. Russia got it's team gold, the men's event got extra drama (it is unlikely they would have won a medal) and Plushenko got etched further into history. The only damage was to Kovtun.

As far as Aliona's situation: If she can make the German team with a new partner then she deserves to be there. That is the only criteria that should ever matter. Win your place, get to compete. It is up to her competition in Germany to defeat her. I guess I don't get the angst. If she is the best let her compete. If she isn't she won't make it.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
So, I was thinking: what currently competing world-class pairs really have that magic together? Sui/Han, James/Cipres. Then again, even they didn't develop that magic, consistency and charisma overnight. It took both teams 8 or 10 years of skating together. Some world-class pairs are probably on their way with it right now. :hap10: And I'm optimistic: I'm even thinking of several American and Canadian pairs, not just the Russians and the Chinese.:)

The ideal situation for pairs would be to have a top team from Russia and a top team from the US competing with Sui/Han for Gold. That is the dynamic that the media seem to enjoy. J/C would have been ideal. They are a sexy, dynamic pair but the scandal will pretty much take them out I think. T/M should be the top team for Russia. They have everything but they fail to deliver and often seem fragile on the ice. The new Russian champions might be a safer bet and I prefer them but on paper T/M are better. If Chris and Alexa could ever get it together they would make an ideal media story for NBC. I'd love to see Peng/Jin be in for a medal too but that pesky second triple...

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The ideal situation for pairs would be to have a top team from Russia and a top team from the US competing with Sui/Han for Gold. That is the dynamic that the media seem to enjoy. J/C would have been ideal. They are a sexy, dynamic pair but the scandal will pretty much take them out I think. T/M should be the top team for Russia. They have everything but they fail to deliver and often seem fragile on the ice. The new Russian champions might be a safer bet and I prefer them but on paper T/M are better. If Chris and Alexa could ever get it together they would make an ideal media story for NBC. I'd love to see Peng/Jin be in for a medal too but that pesky second triple...

I'm in Ashley and Tim's corner. Two skating as one, drama, passion, music in their bones. Actually both Ashley/Tim and Alexa/Chris have the magic and charisma, they both need that 3rd ingredient of consistency. I love Peng/Jin too, and Kirsten/Michael, Tarasova/Morozov, and I'm getting there with Mishina/Galliamov. What I'm really a fan of is a pairs competition where diversity of vision and style plays a part. Alexa and Chris made the ideal media story in the run-up to the Olympics, and you're right it could happen again.

pesto

On the Ice
But only if she's in form to compete for medals? Don't a great many competitors go to the Olympics with very little hope of a medal, but with a desire to compete and skate their best?

In general yes, but Aljona is a special case.

I just feel that she has already accomplished so much and is so focussed on winning, that if she isn't at least in the hunt for medals, it won't be worth the struggle and risk of coming back at this stage of her life. I don't think she'd be happy with the flawed programmes of a Brezina, for example.

She is a lot older than Witt or Cohen were in their attempted comebacks, with a child, and with the added complication of having to rebuild a competitive partnership with Bruno or A N Other.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I'm in Ashley and Tim's corner. Two skating as one, drama, passion, music in their bones. Actually both Ashley/Tim and Alexa/Chris have the magic and charisma, they both need that 3rd ingredient of consistency. I love Peng/Jin too, and Kirsten/Michael, Tarasova/Morozov, and I'm getting there with Mishina/Galliamov. What I'm really a fan of is a pairs competition where diversity of vision and style plays a part. Alexa and Chris made the ideal media story in the run-up to the Olympics, and you're right it could happen again.

I would love to see KMT/MM surprise everyone with a medal. I mean diva Aliona, Ksenia got olympic medals and I think it would be cool to see the third diva to get one as well. The Knerims have had their chances but I haven'tlost faith in them; j ust no longer so enamoured with them.

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I always found the Plushy situation sad. From what I remember he wanted to skate the team event and then allow another Russian man to skate the men's event, correct? (Or has my memory completely fallen apart?) This would have given Kovtun the chance to skate for Russia but the rules of the Olympics would not allow the substitution..

Why isn’t that allowed, does anyone know? I should think having a beloved/popular skater who was perhaps no longer at the highest competitive level of the sport participate only in the Team Event on behalf of their country, would greatly increase public interest in that event!

Scott512

Record Breaker
Why can't some people just ride off into the sunset gracefully? She had the perfect ending to a hall of fame career with a Olympic gold medal and then winning Worlds so why come back you have nothing more to prove.

I agree with you but in Alonas situation when you shut it down it's for good and forever. You and I think she should ride off into the sunset but if she's not feeling it that's her choice.

Maybe a talk with Professor Mishin would help Alona stay retired.. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Why isn’t that allowed, does anyone know? I should think having a beloved/popular skater who was perhaps no longer at the highest competitive level of the sport participate only in the Team Event on behalf of their country, would greatly increase public interest in that event!

IIRC (someone correct me if I am wrong, please):

Russia had qualified for only one spot in the men's discipline at OWG -- meaning the individual men's competition at OWG.

With very few exceptions (which were not applicable to Russia in terms of the men's discipline [or any other discipline]), the OWG team event rules are that only skaters who are entered in the competitions for individual disciplines are eligible to compete in the team event.​

Plushenko was eligible to compete in the team event (as he did) -- as long as he was Russia's (only) entry in the individual men's competition.

The "problem" (in the eyes of some) was that the rules did not allow for Russia to be represented by a different man in the individual men's competition than in the team event, because Russia qualified for only one spot in the individual men's competition.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In general yes, but Aljona is a special case.

I just feel that she has already accomplished so much and is so focussed on winning, that if she isn't at least in the hunt for medals, it won't be worth the struggle and risk of coming back at this stage of her life. I don't think she'd be happy with the flawed programmes of a Brezina, for example.

She is a lot older than Witt or Cohen were in their attempted comebacks, with a child, and with the added complication of having to rebuild a competitive partnership with Bruno or A N Other.

You make good points, but she is capable of surprising and changing her priorities. Aljona surprised me when she skated with Bruno, because skating with him seemed to completely transform her as a skater and as a person. It was my impression that she had the aim of winning gold, yes, but also that she wanted to put something more, some soul and heart into pairs skating that she hadn't before. I agree with you that it'd be a nearly impossible task to develop that heart and soul, as well as such a high level of technique, with a new partner.

I'm actually just playing devil's advocate and throwing out ideas. It's her life and decision.

Scott512

Record Breaker
She should retire from competition but I doubt she will. Alona obviously still has great passion for competition otherwise she wouldn't even consider coming back after basically winning everything.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
She should retire from competition but I doubt she will. Alona obviously still has great passion for competition otherwise she wouldn't even consider coming back after basically winning everything.
I honestly have had enough of her but I am not sure she "should" retire I appreciate and respect that is up to her but I am quite content with letting others have the limelight or focussing on others.

As to comments about age there are many things to consider - physical and mental health. Goals or desire. On a separate note When Witt. Gordeeva, Cohen, Rodina came back the technical requirements may arguably not have been as difficult or rigorous.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Aliona and Bruno are doing triple twists 4 months after she gave birth! she is super human.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B78zZXEo7ys/

I think Aliona is eye-ing that Beijing medal... She’s crazy, in a positive sense of that word :)
I’m also quite impressed that despite doing probably the most injury-prone discipline in FS, she’s still going strong at her age! Whereas some much younger competitors in pairs have already had like a plethora of different injuries

halulupu

Final Flight
But in a strange way the possibility of her comeback also shows there wasn't much progress in pair skating the last 15 years. Can't decided if its good or bad

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
There have been other pairs skaters who returned to skate competitively and even win OGM - Gordeeva, Rodina come to mind and I think Navka in dance. If she wants to do it that is her choice and business. Ihope she does it for herself if she chooses and that it does not affect or hurt her family. She is an amazing competitor but switching disciplines or partners takes time. There may not be enough. Realistically she migth be able to win German nats but she is not going to be strong enough to beat the Japanese, Americans, Korean or Russian ladies in singles. I was thinking Robin wouldn't mind another crack at gold but I think that time has passed. He has moved on and might be coaching an OGM or medallist.

Rudy Galindo started out as a pairs skater. He won U.S. Nationals and was a World bronze medalist as a singles skater. But realistically, she isn't going to go anywhere in singles.