World/Olympic medalists without Euro/4CC medals | Golden Skate

World/Olympic medalists without Euro/4CC medals

pohatta

On the Ice
I was thinking of Alena Leonova's career. On three occasions she was the 2nd best European at Worlds, getting a silver medal in 2012 behind Kostner. However she never won a medal at Europeans.

Are there many other skaters who have a Worlds or Olympics medal (not as part of a team) but none from Europeans or 4CC? I'm not that familiar with 4CC so there could be some that I don't know of.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I think Kaetlyn Osmond never won a medal at 4CC, but she's got an individual Olympic Bronze as well as a gold at the WC. She's also got a GPF bronze. All in the season 2017-2018.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
Narumi Takahashi and Mervin Tran won Bronze at Worlds in 2012, but their best at 4CC was 5th in 2010 and 2012.

Wakaba Higuchi won Silver at Worlds in 2018, but hasn't (yet) medaled at 4CC. Her best result there was 4th in 2020.

Michelle Kwan won five world championships and two Olympic medals, but never chose to compete at Four Continents.

gkelly

Record Breaker
And obviously everyone who was done competing internationally before 1999 never had the opportunity to compete at Four Continents.

Timothy Goebel went to 4Cs only in 1999, where he finished 13th. His world and Olympic medals came later.

pohatta

On the Ice
And obviously everyone who was done competing internationally before 1999 never had the opportunity to compete at Four Continents.

That is indeed obvious. I was thinking of skaters who tried several times. Leonova was five times in the Top 7 but never Top 3 at Euros.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I was thinking of Alena Leonova's career. On three occasions she was the 2nd best European at Worlds, getting a silver medal in 2012 behind Kostner. However she never won a medal at Europeans.

Are there many other skaters who have a Worlds or Olympics medal (not as part of a team) but none from Europeans or 4CC? I'm not that familiar with 4CC so there could be some that I don't know of.

I'm thinking some skaters who managed a surprise bronze/silver at Worlds might have. An example is Narumi Takahashi/Mervin Tran, or Wakaba Higuchi, or Johnny Weir.

Some skaters also avoid Europeans/4CC altogether (or often skip it) because of their proximity to Worlds, or just not being put on the Euro/WCC team because they're from a competitive country in their discipline so their country had to "share the love" so to speak and send some to Euros/4CC and others to Worlds (like Osmond and Cohen).

It's way harder to come up with a list for Europeans since 4CC started only in 1999 so it's easy to cross compare... here's what I've got listed as far as World/Olympic medalists who never medalled at 4CC.

MEN:
Johnny Weir
Timothy Goebel

LADIES:
Sasha Cohen
Wakaba Higuchi
Kaetlyn Osmond
Michelle Kwan

PAIRS:
Takahashi/Tran

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The more exclusive club is World medalists with no Grand Prix medal — the club has only two active members, Gabby Daleman and Elizabet Tursynbaeva.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm thinking some skaters who managed a surprise bronze/silver at Worlds might have. An example is Narumi Takahashi/Mervin Tran, or Wakaba Higuchi, or Johnny Weir.

Some skaters also avoid Europeans/4CC altogether (or often skip it) because of their proximity to Worlds, or just not being put on the Euro/WCC team because they're from a competitive country in their discipline so their country had to "share the love" so to speak and send some to Euros/4CC and others to Worlds (like Osmond and Cohen).

It's way harder to come up with a list for Europeans since 4CC started only in 1999 so it's easy to cross compare... here's what I've got listed as far as World/Olympic medalists who never medalled at 4CC.

MEN:
Johnny Weir
Timothy Goebel

LADIES:
Sasha Cohen
Wakaba Higuchi
Kaetlyn Osmond
Michelle Kwan

PAIRS:
Takahashi/Tran

You could disregard any European medals before 1999. Or you could at least confine yourself to skaters who won their World/Olympic medals after 1999.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
The more exclusive club is World medalists with no Grand Prix medal — the club has only two active members, Gabby Daleman and Elizabet Tursynbaeva.

Vincent Zhou?

Michelle Kwan won five world championships and two Olympic medals, but never chose to compete at Four Continents.

I find it puzzling that Michelle never attended one. :scratch2:
In 2000 for instance, the top U.S. pairs and ice dance teams competed (& medalled twice in each discipline)
Todd Eldridge came 4th in that event, his only full 4CC thus can be added to the list of examples.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Mostly not medalists, but can anyone identify which exclusive club the following skaters belong to? :D

Daniil Barantsev
Yuko Kavaguti
Denis Petukhov
Trifun Zivanovic

Did I miss anyone?

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Didn't Vincent get a 4CC medal? No GPF one, that's true. But still, considering the question of the OP he doesn't fit in.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Didn't Vincent get a 4CC medal? No GPF one, that's true. But still, considering the question of the OP he doesn't fit in.

Yes he does, I meant in response to: The more exclusive club is World medalists with no Grand Prix medal — the club has only two active members, Gabby Daleman and Elizabet Tursynbaeva. ^^ In fact I don't think he has won a medal at any senior GP event.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Mostly not medalists, but can anyone identify which exclusive club the following skaters belong to? :D

Daniil Barantsev
Yuko Kavaguti
Denis Petukhov
Trifun Zivanovic

Did I miss anyone?

skaters who competed both at euros and 4cc and at olympics and worlds ?

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
4CC's was designed to be the replacement for a gap left by the North American Championship (look it up) and as the great evener to the European Championship. It was billed as an event to fine tune and to promote potential favs, prior to Worlds. Neither has recently lived up to the vision. With respects to 4CC, who wants to travel for 3 days by air, to then have to compete, recover and adjust in real time for Worlds within weeks. This is the reason (unless local) that many nations continue to send their 'B' Teams.

These past few years it appears that most European countries are in a non-competitive situation versus the Russian Team, so Euro's to me has become a glorified Russian nationals event. In other words, not a competitive event versus the GP, GPF, Worlds or the OG's. Check out results the results from the last year https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_European_Figure_Skating_Championships

So, if 10 of 12 medal winnings are going to a single country, one has to question the overall competitiveness of the competition. So much for nation diversity when 83% of medals go to a single country. Let's be honest here, Europeans as a major competition today is as relevant as 4CC's, imo. Both events should never be a gold standard or an indicator of a skater's future success.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Daniil Barantsev
Yuko Kavaguti
Denis Petukhov
Trifun Zivanovic

Did I miss anyone?

If 4everchan is correct, you missed the newest members of the club: Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolaj Sørensen (except they haven't done Olympics yet, so they are just candidates for membership)

gkelly

Record Breaker

If 4everchan is correct, you missed the newest members of the club: Laurence Fournier Beaudry and Nikolaj Sørensen (except they haven't done Olympics yet, so they are just candidates for membership)

Thanks for the addition.

I was just looking for skaters who have competed at both Euros and 4Cs. Barantsev never competed at Olympics either, but he did make it to Worlds once for Russia.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I was just looking for skaters who have competed at both Euros and 4Cs. Barantsev never competed at Olympics either, but he did make it to Worlds once for Russia.
Liubov Ilyushechkina would also be on that list.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
4CC's was designed to be the replacement for a gap left by the North American Championship (look it up) and as the great evener to the European Championship. It was billed as an event to fine tune and to promote potential favs, prior to Worlds. Neither has recently lived up to the vision. With respects to 4CC, who wants to travel for 3 days by air, to then have to compete, recover and adjust in real time for Worlds within weeks. This is the reason (unless local) that many nations continue to send their 'B' Teams.

These past few years it appears that most European countries are in a non-competitive situation versus the Russian Team, so Euro's to me has become a glorified Russian nationals event. In other words, not a competitive event versus the GP, GPF, Worlds or the OG's. Check out results the results from the last year https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_European_Figure_Skating_Championships

So, if 10 of 12 medal winnings are going to a single country, one has to question the overall competitiveness of the competition. So much for nation diversity when 83% of medals go to a single country. Let's be honest here, Europeans as a major competition today is as relevant as 4CC's, imo. Both events should never be a gold standard or an indicator of a skater's future success.

While you can argue this for the other disciplines, I think I should point out that in the men's discipline all of the multi-award world champions since 2012 (and for that matter unless I have misread, the silver and bronze), and the podium placers at the last two Olympics have seen fit to attend - and have won - 4CC. With of course one exception, that Spaniard who pretty well owned Euros for 7 years....

(Feel free to mention if I have forgotten someone).