2 technical questions | Golden Skate

2 technical questions

Old Cat Lady

On the Ice
1. Do skaters know the angle of the camera for the technical caller's replay? At certain angles, you can't really see change of edge and I'm wondering if programs are designed to hide it. Is it policy to go in favor of the skater if there is doubt?

2. Do you think judges count the little turn entering a jump as "clear identifiable steps" on the entry? To me, if there's no other steps or transitions with it, it's just part of the set up, but that turn going into the takeoff is the only somewhat legitimate reason I can think of for why skaters are getting +3 GOE on jumps or not getting deductions on the jump out of steps in the short program.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Fed that hosts a competition certainly knows where they are going to put the camera. Whether this is advertised to other feds, I do not know.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
1. Many skaters are 'hiding' edge/rotation on their weaker jumps/combos. Camera is helpfull for tech panel, but not in 100% of cases... It happens all the time that some of individual judges cant spot all parts of the jumps/steps. Because of that there are 9 judges on the panel. ISU recommendations are when judges are uncertain of which bullet point/score/edge and rotation call to give to judge in skaters favour.
2. I dont think so, but it may depends on the individual judges opinion. Again, if they are not sure, they suppose to judge in skaters favour. ISU of course suggesting judges to be more harsh/lenient on certain parts of skating depending of what they want to see at competitions.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
1. Do skaters know the angle of the camera for the technical caller's replay? At certain angles, you can't really see change of edge and I'm wondering if programs are designed to hide it. Is it policy to go in favor of the skater if there is doubt?

2. Do you think judges count the little turn entering a jump as "clear identifiable steps" on the entry? To me, if there's no other steps or transitions with it, it's just part of the set up, but that turn going into the takeoff is the only somewhat legitimate reason I can think of for why skaters are getting +3 GOE on jumps or not getting deductions on the jump out of steps in the short program.

Actually, it doesn't say "clear identifiable steps" but "a jump immediately preceded by connecting steps and/or other comparable Free Skating movements".
Also, note that only the Technical panel has access to slow-mo replays.
The 9 judges only have access to replays in "real time".