Blade upgrade question | Golden Skate

Blade upgrade question

griessel

Rinkside
Hey dear people,

I’ve got a question regarding a blade upgrade. I’ve been skating for 2 years now, with the Jackson Mystique and the Mark II blade that comes with them.
I’m still a beginner and my progress is relatively slow. The last things I practiced before the summer break were for example the Waltz Jump, 3 Turns and Mohawk. I enjoy learning Swing Rolls, Crossrolls - these kind of things - a lot. In the skating lessons I’m taking we are not taught Ice Dance patterns, but when I’m skating on my own, I’m working on the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango.

Over the last weeks I decided it’s time to upgrade my skates. I’ve tried on the Risport Electra Light. They fit well and I would like to stick with them. They are available just as boots but also come as a set with the MK Galaxy blades. I informed myself about the 7 and 8ft rocker and I feel like a 7ft rocker would maybe be better for me or worth trying out. A thing that is really frustrating for me are the spins. I am only doing 2-foot and very basic 1-foot spins and I feel like I hardly made any progress with the spins. I don’t find joy in practicing them, although I would like to be better in that department.

What I gathered is that the 8ft rocker is providing more stability while the 7ft rocker is helping with spins and turns (I also have trouble with some 3 Turns, even the FO 3 Turn on my strong side is a hit and miss). So I reached the conclusion that I would like to use a 7ft rocker and was deciding between MK Professional and Coronation Ace. The latter is not available in my size at the moment. I would like to start the new season (starting in August) with new skates, so I settled for MK Professional.

What is making me hesitate now is that the MK Pro and the Coronation Ace are always described as blades for double jumps. And I wonder if it would be ridiculous for a relative beginner skater like me, wo can barely do a waltz jump, to use blades designed for practicing double jumps.
I actually don’t have any ambitions when it comes to jumps. I have fun practicing the waltz jump and I will probably try doing rotational jumps at some point but if a person from the future came to me and told me I would never complete a single jump in my life I wouldn’t be devastated ;)

So does it make sense to go for the MK Pro? Or would the MK Galaxy already help me with my spins and turns and would be a good enough upgrade?
Another option I was thinking of is to buy the Coronation Ace Dance blade (this one would be available in my size) . Like I said I enjoy doing ice dance stuff a lot, would doing waltz jumps or single jumps be ok in a dance blade? Or would it restrict me too much for my skating classes?

Thanks for any advice :)

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
What is making me hesitate now is that the MK Pro and the Coronation Ace are always described as blades for double jumps. And I wonder if it would be ridiculous for a relative beginner skater like me, wo can barely do a waltz jump, to use blades designed for practicing double jumps.
Both the MK Professional and JW Coronation Ace are developmental blades that can take you up to double Lutz. By the time a skater has their doubles, I would hope they are in a JW Pattern 99 or Gold Seal!

I have many beginning skaters that use both blades at your level. Lately, due to the shortages many have been getting the MK Pro. I have actually grown to like it more for my skaters buying their boots and blades separately for the first time.

MK Pro is completely appropriate for your level, as you described!

I do have some concern that you are working on ice dance without a coach. Does your rink offer private lessons where you could work with a coach on the Preliminary solo dances?

Unless you are dedicated to dance and have a coach, I would not suggest getting an ice dance blade as other blades will offer you more versatility.

griessel

Rinkside
I do have some concern that you are working on ice dance without a coach. Does your rink offer private lessons where you could work with a coach on the Preliminary solo dances?

Unless you are dedicated to dance and have a coach, I would not suggest getting an ice dance blade as other blades will offer you more versatility.

Thanks for your helpful reply!

Regarding Ice Dance: I don’t plan to ever get tested, neither in freestyle nor ice dance, but of course it would be better to receive feedback and get mistakes corrected before they become a habit (it’s not like with ballet, where it really is not recommended to take it up on your own because of posture, health-wise etc, is it? Or am I missing a point here?)
I have not really looked into private lesson options, but I know that one of my coaches also did ice dance in the past. So far I was to timid to ask her if she can show me stuff but maybe next season I’m more courageous 😁

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hey dear people,

I’ve got a question regarding a blade upgrade. I’ve been skating for 2 years now, with the Jackson Mystique and the Mark II blade that comes with them.
I’m still a beginner and my progress is relatively slow. The last things I practiced before the summer break were for example the Waltz Jump, 3 Turns and Mohawk. I enjoy learning Swing Rolls, Crossrolls - these kind of things - a lot. In the skating lessons I’m taking we are not taught Ice Dance patterns, but when I’m skating on my own, I’m working on the Dutch Waltz and Canasta Tango.

Over the last weeks I decided it’s time to upgrade my skates. I’ve tried on the Risport Electra Light. They fit well and I would like to stick with them. They are available just as boots but also come as a set with the MK Galaxy blades. I informed myself about the 7 and 8ft rocker and I feel like a 7ft rocker would maybe be better for me or worth trying out. A thing that is really frustrating for me are the spins. I am only doing 2-foot and very basic 1-foot spins and I feel like I hardly made any progress with the spins. I don’t find joy in practicing them, although I would like to be better in that department.

What I gathered is that the 8ft rocker is providing more stability while the 7ft rocker is helping with spins and turns (I also have trouble with some 3 Turns, even the FO 3 Turn on my strong side is a hit and miss). So I reached the conclusion that I would like to use a 7ft rocker and was deciding between MK Professional and Coronation Ace. The latter is not available in my size at the moment. I would like to start the new season (starting in August) with new skates, so I settled for MK Professional.

I actually don’t have any ambitions when it comes to jumps. I have fun practicing the waltz jump and I will probably try doing rotational jumps at some point but if a person from the future came to me and told me I would never complete a single jump in my life I wouldn’t be devastated ;)

So does it make sense to go for the MK Pro? Or would the MK Galaxy already help me with my spins and turns and would be a good enough upgrade?
Another option I was thinking of is to buy the Coronation Ace Dance blade (this one would be available in my size) . Like I said I enjoy doing ice dance stuff a lot, would doing waltz jumps or single jumps be ok in a dance blade? Or would it restrict me too much for my skating classes?

Hi and welcome! I'm going to say no to ice dance blades at this point. Also, if you wish to pursue ice dance I really suggest getting an instructor to properly teach you these patterns, b/c learning them online or however you are learning them on your own is not a good idea.

If you decided to get MK Pro or JW Coro Ace blades, you would be good as far as your skill level as these are considered intermediate blades and take most to higher doubles when they would then be advised to switch to advance blades of their choosing (MK Gold Star, Phantom, JW Gold Seal or Pattern 99).

Now, I will make a suggestion that probably work the best for you if you don't plan on being much of a jumper but would still learn some jumps as well as focusing on ice dance patterns etc.. Look into MK Dynasty blade. It has the ability to do both (hybrid for lack of better word) yes, it will say synchro b/c they use these blades as well, but don't let that deter you.

Good luck! :)

Coach Aimee

PSA Ranked
Rinkside
Thanks for your helpful reply!

Regarding Ice Dance: I don’t plan to ever get tested, neither in freestyle nor ice dance, but of course it would be better to receive feedback and get mistakes corrected before they become a habit (it’s not like with ballet, where it really is not recommended to take it up on your own because of posture, health-wise etc, is it? Or am I missing a point here?)
I have not really looked into private lesson options, but I know that one of my coaches also did ice dance in the past. So far I was to timid to ask her if she can show me stuff but maybe next season I’m more courageous 😁
Figure skating, similar to ballet, is a sport that requires professional supervision. It’s not wise to take up either ballet or skating on your own for safety and technical reasons.I’m sure if you ask your coach about ice dance you will receive an enthusiastic response! Don’t be shy about asking 😉

loveragdollcats

Spectator
I've been skating for a little less than 2 years, i started on jackson mystiques w/ mark 2 blades, and 2 months ago i switched to jackson entres w/ coronation ace blades. i'm working on single jumps up to loop, scratch spins, backspins, and sit spins, and preliminary mitf. i love the coronation ace blades and had little issues adjusting to them. i think you can probably stay in the mark 2 blades a little longer but if you want to get new boots, you should get new blades, and i would reccomend the coronation ace. i don't know much about the mk pro but my skate tech recommended the coronation ace for me and did not say anything about the mk pro, and i also was leaning towards the coronation ace more anyway. also if you do get new blades don't expect your 3 turns and spins to improve immediatly. expect them to feel the same as they did in the old blades. when i got my new blades my spins didn't improve, it just felt like i had the ability to spin faster on the new blades. my 3 turns felt like they did in the old blades. coronation ace blades are good for spinning and turning but they won't make you a better spinner immediatly, it takes time and for me getting the coronation ace was more for having good spinning blades in the future, rather than my spins improving suddenly.

Last edited:

Anima

Spectator
Hey dear people,

The regular Coronation Ace blades would be fine for you for a long time; one only needs the shorter dance blade when you get pretty advanced, and then it takes some getting used to, as I have seen several skaters get them only when they do PreGold dances. For a 'beginner', dance blades make doing back turns more difficult as the length at the back help you find the tip and turn on it. The balance is altogether trickier on a smaller blade. Like you, I have not gone in for learning jumps, but have learned through Gold dances, and passed tests through Silver on Coronation Ace. I got a pair of Gold Seals and they feel so different that I think I'll go back to the CA - I do not need the bigger toe-pick which is good for jumps, I gather. Probably you have already chosen, but you can get these online if you know the length.

viviennec

Spectator
Both the MK Professional and JW Coronation Ace are developmental blades that can take you up to double Lutz. By the time a skater has their doubles, I would hope they are in a JW Pattern 99 or Gold Seal!

I have many beginning skaters that use both blades at your level. Lately, due to the shortages many have been getting the MK Pro. I have actually grown to like it more for my skaters buying their boots and blades separately for the first time.

MK Pro is completely appropriate for your level, as you described!

Hi Coach Aimee,

I do have questions regarding with upgrading blades as well.
My daughter is currently 10, we are from Canada and she’s currently into Star 6 level(secure her double Sal/Toe/Loop and flying camel, been able to land her double Flip lately, and working onto her double lutz), she’s currently using Legacy 8 since she’s always been in a 8’ rocker…and she’s worried to change into CA or MK Pro due to the 7’ rocker and afraid she will loose her jumps.
She wants to change to a 8’ rocker higher level blades but worried that she’s over blading herself….
It’s time for us to change her blades, would you suggest that we just keep the same blades she’s using or should I get her the pattern 99? Would that be too much for her?
Or even changing into a 7 rocker blades won’t affect her too much?
Because we only have 2 skate shops in our area, and a lot of blades been out of stock…so I might end up needs to order them online for her😅

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hi Coach Aimee,

I do have questions regarding with upgrading blades as well.
My daughter is currently 10, we are from Canada and she’s currently into Star 6 level(secure her double Sal/Toe/Loop and flying camel, been able to land her double Flip lately, and working onto her double lutz), she’s currently using Legacy 8 since she’s always been in a 8’ rocker…and she’s worried to change into CA or MK Pro due to the 7’ rocker and afraid she will loose her jumps.
She wants to change to a 8’ rocker higher level blades but worried that she’s over blading herself….
It’s time for us to change her blades, would you suggest that we just keep the same blades she’s using or should I get her the pattern 99? Would that be too much for her?
Or even changing into a 7 rocker blades won’t affect her too much?
Because we only have 2 skate shops in our area, and a lot of blades been out of stock…so I might end up needs to order them online for her😅
She would be fine upgrading. And like all new things she will have to adjust but it shouldn't take long, she won't "lose" anything permanently.
I skate in Pattern 99's. They are not for everyone, they sit low to the ice, have a very large drag pick and the spin rocker isn't as "curved" as others but it's definitely not as flat as the legacy blades. Honestly, I would suggest JW Gold Seal for an 8ft blade. If she wants to stay with 7ft I'd suggest MK Phantom all of these traditional, not lite or revolution.

Good luck!

viviennec

Spectator
She would be fine upgrading. And like all new things she will have to adjust but it shouldn't take long, she won't "lose" anything permanently.
I skate in Pattern 99's. They are not for everyone, they sit low to the ice, have a very large drag pick and the spin rocker isn't as "curved" as others but it's definitely not as flat as the legacy blades. Honestly, I would suggest JW Gold Seal for an 8ft blade. If she wants to stay with 7ft I'd suggest MK Phantom all of these traditional, not lite or revolution.

Good luck!
Thank you for your opinions!!
Yes, I’ve heard a lot of diverse comments of the pattern 99, some loves it and some just can’t skate in them…
Will gold seal be too much for her? I did not check phantom out, maybe I’ll look into it…
Yeah all im looking are traditional, for sure not revolution😅
Thank you very much!! I’ll look into it🙏🏻🙏🏻

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for your opinions!!
Yes, I’ve heard a lot of diverse comments of the pattern 99, some loves it and some just can’t skate in them…
Will gold seal be too much for her? I did not check phantom out, maybe I’ll look into it…
Yeah all im looking are traditional, for sure not revolution😅
Thank you very much!! I’ll look into it🙏🏻🙏🏻
It depends with Gold Seal, some love and some hate them due to the higher stanchion. Possibly look into MK Gold Stars and Phantom.

Good luck, you are welcome btw! :)