Blade upgrade? | Golden Skate

Blade upgrade?

lucyarmstrong

Spectator
Hi, I’m in the process of buying new boots and blades. I’m 5’5 and around 60kg. I am 18 so won’t grow any more. I am currently working on my axel jump. I’m currently skating with Riedell motion boots and coronation ace blades, but both are quite worn out. I’m upgrading to Riedell bronze star boots, but I’m unsure whether to repurchase the coronation ace blades? Would these be okay for my level and to start learning my double jumps too? Or should I upgrade? Thanks

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hi, I’m in the process of buying new boots and blades. I’m 5’5 and around 60kg. I am 18 so won’t grow any more. I am currently working on my axel jump. I’m currently skating with Riedell motion boots and coronation ace blades, but both are quite worn out. I’m upgrading to Riedell bronze star boots, but I’m unsure whether to repurchase the coronation ace blades? Would these be okay for my level and to start learning my double jumps too? Or should I upgrade? Thanks
You're probably all right to continue with the Coronation Ace blades if you're just starting double jumps and the axel, but others here are more knowledgeable about blades. When I was your age there weren't as many different blades available. I could have upgraded from my MK Pro blades (which are almost identical to the CA) when I started learning a few triples and the triple throw in pairs, but they weren't causing any problems so I kept on with them. Still use them, many years later and retired from competition. I'm a few inches shorter and about 10 kg lighter, so others may advise you to upgrade. Boot and blade needs depend a lot on the size of the skater as well as their skill level and age. But if you're happy with the Ace, then I'd say keep them and adjust to the feel of new boots first. Good luck!

Edit: Reading over what I said earlier, I see I didn't word my last sentence too clearly. I didn't mean keep your worn-down blades and attach them to the new boots. I just meant to keep using Coronation Ace blades but buy new replacement ones for the new boots.

Last edited: