Adult intermediate boot + blade upgrade | Golden Skate

Adult intermediate boot + blade upgrade

adultskateryee

Spectator
Hello! I’m an adult skater, 24, 5”4’ and ~145lbs and skating for about 2 years. I skate usually 2-3 times per week (about 5-6 hours) and I’m finally in the market for new boots & blades that will withstand the test of time, and properly fit (yes, unfortunately I made the past choice of buying used skates for the budget). I’m currently working on half flips and salchow, and generally around freestyle 2/3 skills. I would like to get all of my singles through axel, and potentially some doubles if my coaches (and body) think I’m up to it! :)

I’m skating in the older 2500 model of Jackson Premieres with MK vision blades (discontinued). My boots are facing a mid-life crisis, and I’ve got about 5 or so sharpenings left on my blades before I’m forced to replace them. I’ve been locally fitted to be a Jackson 7B, and also Edea 260C & a Risport 260 (standard width… B or C? I was fitted for the latter two out of the country). I once considered myself to have wide feet at the ball of my foot, but it seems like I have rather standard feet shape/width. (I tried on Jackson Entre 7W and I felt my foot moving even with perfect length).

I’m looking into Edea Chorus, Risport RF3, Risport Royal Pro, and possibly also sticking with the newer Jackson Premieres or Entre. Over the phone I was recommended to look at boots around the RF3 level, and Coronation Ace blades or MK Professional Blades. I currently love the 7’ rocker on my current blade over my first Mirage IV blades, and will probably stick to such. Out of the country, I tried on RF3 & RF1, and Edea Ice Fly and Concerto (on-hand stock at the time). I absolutely loved the RF3 feel at the time about a year ago, and appreciated the feel of Concerto over Ice Fly, but given the lack of ability to try on a wider range that fit my level and my ability to remember fully, I want to ask around for personal takes before I travel to my shop or get Jackson’s in the area.
  • For those who have skated in Jackson’s and tried other brands, what did you love/hate about switching, and did you switch back? And overall, what are some personal pros/cons for choosing a microfiber boot like the Royal Pro’s over the RF3, primarily with longevity.
  • Also, how does everyone feel about different ankle profiles and lacing with said boots? I tend to not lace my top loop on my current Premieres for more knee bend, and I’ve seen in my own readings that people either absolutely love Edea’s looser ankle feel or hate it and regret switching.
  • Lastly, what are some takes on Coronation Ace vs MK Professional?
Sorry for the long post! Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks a ton!

Littlerain

Rinkside
I can’t provide as much info as the experts on this forum but I do know based on their advice that the boot brand depends on your foot style and what best would fit you. Perhaps @Ic3Rabbit can help if you describe your foot shape/style.

I just got RF3s with coronation ace last weekend and am enjoying both so far! Much better than my used skates I also bought in my early 20s!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello! I’m an adult skater, 24, 5”4’ and ~145lbs and skating for about 2 years. I skate usually 2-3 times per week (about 5-6 hours) and I’m finally in the market for new boots & blades that will withstand the test of time, and properly fit (yes, unfortunately I made the past choice of buying used skates for the budget). I’m currently working on half flips and salchow, and generally around freestyle 2/3 skills. I would like to get all of my singles through axel, and potentially some doubles if my coaches (and body) think I’m up to it! :)

I’m skating in the older 2500 model of Jackson Premieres with MK vision blades (discontinued). My boots are facing a mid-life crisis, and I’ve got about 5 or so sharpenings left on my blades before I’m forced to replace them. I’ve been locally fitted to be a Jackson 7B, and also Edea 260C & a Risport 260 (standard width… B or C? I was fitted for the latter two out of the country). I once considered myself to have wide feet at the ball of my foot, but it seems like I have rather standard feet shape/width. (I tried on Jackson Entre 7W and I felt my foot moving even with perfect length).

I’m looking into Edea Chorus, Risport RF3, Risport Royal Pro, and possibly also sticking with the newer Jackson Premieres or Entre. Over the phone I was recommended to look at boots around the RF3 level, and Coronation Ace blades or MK Professional Blades. I currently love the 7’ rocker on my current blade over my first Mirage IV blades, and will probably stick to such. Out of the country, I tried on RF3 & RF1, and Edea Ice Fly and Concerto (on-hand stock at the time). I absolutely loved the RF3 feel at the time about a year ago, and appreciated the feel of Concerto over Ice Fly, but given the lack of ability to try on a wider range that fit my level and my ability to remember fully, I want to ask around for personal takes before I travel to my shop or get Jackson’s in the area.
  • For those who have skated in Jackson’s and tried other brands, what did you love/hate about switching, and did you switch back? And overall, what are some personal pros/cons for choosing a microfiber boot like the Royal Pro’s over the RF3, primarily with longevity.
  • Also, how does everyone feel about different ankle profiles and lacing with said boots? I tend to not lace my top loop on my current Premieres for more knee bend, and I’ve seen in my own readings that people either absolutely love Edea’s looser ankle feel or hate it and regret switching.
  • Lastly, what are some takes on Coronation Ace vs MK Professional?
Sorry for the long post! Any and all advice is appreciated! Thanks a ton!
Hi and welcome! We have alot to unpack here because for some reason your fitters have you all over the place with boots/brands and stiffness levels. There is no way you should ever have a foot that fits Jackson Edea and Risport. Jackson and Risport yes, but Edea would be a no. Also, you are being suggested entry level boots (entre which is rated 35) that won't be stiff enough up to boots elites do quads in such as Ice Fly rated 90 (aka way too stiff for you).

If you previously fit Jackson then I would stay in Jackson (Premiere) which is rated 65 ( you really don't need more than that at this point), or Risport RF3 Pro. Pair those with a traditional intermediate blade: MK Pro, JW Cornation Ace, or Legacy 7.

I told you Risport RF3 Pro over the Royal Pro b/c the latter is more like Edea and your foot does not sound like it fits edea well.

Just a tip: You will not have boots that last you longer than say 12-15 months depending on the amount you are using them and your advancing skills.

Good luck!

adultskateryee

Spectator
Hi and welcome! We have alot to unpack here because for some reason your fitters have you all over the place with boots/brands and stiffness levels. There is no way you should ever have a foot that fits Jackson Edea and Risport. Jackson and Risport yes, but Edea would be a no. Also, you are being suggested entry level boots (entre which is rated 35) that won't be stiff enough up to boots elites do quads in such as Ice Fly rated 90 (aka way too stiff for you).

If you previously fit Jackson then I would stay in Jackson (Premiere) which is rated 65 ( you really don't need more than that at this point), or Risport RF3 Pro. Pair those with a traditional intermediate blade: MK Pro, JW Cornation Ace, or Legacy 7.

I told you Risport RF3 Pro over the Royal Pro b/c the latter is more like Edea and your foot does not sound like it fits edea well.

Just a tip: You will not have boots that last you longer than say 12-15 months depending on the amount you are using them and your advancing skills.

Good luck!
Thank you for the thorough response! And yes, it definitely has been a bit all over the place. 😂 I had Jackson sizing done locally, of which my group coach at the time recommended Entre as an upgrade. (I was also confused after researching them). I was fitted in Europe at the shop I got my skates sharpened, of which they only sold Edea & Risport & her stock was pretty limited at the time. The Edeas I tried were definitely too stiff but felt okay, but both of the Risports definitely felt right for my foot shape and the RF3’s more appropriate for my level. I didn’t try Royal Pro’s, but given your advice I’ll stick to trying new Premiers or RF3! And with timing, that makes sense. The state of my Premieres tells me 2 years is probably the most I could get out of them before they completely give out.

Regarding blades, is there anything that distinguishes the 3 you mentioned? I’m more familiar with JW Coronation Ace since it’s a common blade at my rink, but the other two I don’t know much about. I did really enjoy the upgrade from Mark IV (typo from initial post) to MK Vision with the larger toe pick, and 7’ rocker if that helps at all. Is it just a matter of talking to my fitter when I go to get fitted/purchase?

Thanks a ton, this advice helped me narrow down my options! :)

adultskateryee

Spectator
I can’t provide as much info as the experts on this forum but I do know based on their advice that the boot brand depends on your foot style and what best would fit you. Perhaps @Ic3Rabbit can help if you describe your foot shape/style.

I just got RF3s with coronation ace last weekend and am enjoying both so far! Much better than my used skates I also bought in my early 20s!
Yes you’re so right—they gave me such great advice! Also that’s great to hear! I’m definitely excited to get out of used skates and into something that’s specifically sized and shaped to my foot. How has the break in & adjustment to the RF3’s been for you compared to your old skates? The RF3’s felt so comfortable when I tried them on, but trying on vs getting to skate in them is definitely different! :)

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you for the thorough response! And yes, it definitely has been a bit all over the place. 😂 I had Jackson sizing done locally, of which my group coach at the time recommended Entre as an upgrade. (I was also confused after researching them). I was fitted in Europe at the shop I got my skates sharpened, of which they only sold Edea & Risport & her stock was pretty limited at the time. The Edeas I tried were definitely too stiff but felt okay, but both of the Risports definitely felt right for my foot shape and the RF3’s more appropriate for my level. I didn’t try Royal Pro’s, but given your advice I’ll stick to trying new Premiers or RF3! And with timing, that makes sense. The state of my Premieres tells me 2 years is probably the most I could get out of them before they completely give out.

Regarding blades, is there anything that distinguishes the 3 you mentioned? I’m more familiar with JW Coronation Ace since it’s a common blade at my rink, but the other two I don’t know much about. I did really enjoy the upgrade from Mark IV (typo from initial post) to MK Vision with the larger toe pick, and 7’ rocker if that helps at all. Is it just a matter of talking to my fitter when I go to get fitted/purchase?

Thanks a ton, this advice helped me narrow down my options! :)
The first thing I will say is most coaches have no idea what they are talking about when recommending boots to skaters unless they are a former nationally or internationally ranked skater (turned) coach/choreographer. Most local rink group basic coaches have no idea. Now that this is out of the way lol.

As far as blades, JW Coro Ace and MK Pro are pretty similar, but coming from a Vision, you may prefer a MK Pro. You wouldn't like the Legacy 7 since it has a flatter rocker.

:)Good luck! If you need anything else, my DM is always open.

adultskateryee

Spectator
The first thing I will say is most coaches have no idea what they are talking about when recommending boots to skaters unless they are a former nationally or internationally ranked skater (turned) coach/choreographer. Most local rink group basic coaches have no idea. Now that this is out of the way lol.

As far as blades, JW Coro Ace and MK Pro are pretty similar, but coming from a Vision, you may prefer a MK Pro. You wouldn't like the Legacy 7 since it has a flatter rocker.

:)Good luck! If you need anything else, my DM is always open.
Haha you’ve got a solid point there!😂 The only coaches I know of that previously competed are all in Edea’s, though one of them gave me the shop recommendation which was nice. But thank you again! I appreciate it! :)

Littlerain

Rinkside
Yes you’re so right—they gave me such great advice! Also that’s great to hear! I’m definitely excited to get out of used skates and into something that’s specifically sized and shaped to my foot. How has the break in & adjustment to the RF3’s been for you compared to your old skates? The RF3’s felt so comfortable when I tried them on, but trying on vs getting to skate in them is definitely different! :)
They have actually felt great, though they are a bit stiff and my balance is different, I don’t think it really was negative in any way. I feel like I got the hang of it like 98% now that Ive skated 3-4 times in them. BUT, I haven’t gotten back to my prev level yet after just a few weeks back on the ice, so I’m only doing basic two foot spins and no jumping as of yet. (Really trying to re-solidify basics and technique and like general fitness first). I’m sure there would be some more adjustment with proper jumping and spinning.