Advice for intermediate boots/blades for adult? | Golden Skate

Advice for intermediate boots/blades for adult?

yayah917

Spectator
Hi dear all, i am 30 y/o female, previously casually skated for about 2 years before COVID then started learning skating more seriously for 1-2 years. I'm about 1.7m and 60 kg. Was using jackson artiste but thinking about upgrading my boots and blades (tbh they are really worn out). Currently doing some singles like salchow, toe loop and can do some baby loops. I am virtually fitted online with measures and photos and got recommended risport RF3 or royal pro (a bit flat feet and feet not wide), there are not many good actual fitting shops in where I live so I chose online. i have some questions and would like some advice regarding risport boots, also hope to get advice on blades.

- actually what's the difference between RF3 and royal pro and how to choose between them? I read their catalogue, basically RF3 has a flex notch, royal pro more cushion, but do they actually make a difference in actual skating?

- how to choose between MK pro, coronation ace and legacy 7?
i find that my current beginner blades are really flat and easy to hit toe pick. Also sometimes i tend to lean back during jumps and spins. Comparatively i find spins more difficult than jumps and quite difficult to center my spins. Would these info affect how i choose the blades? I read that legacy 7 is flatter, and MK pro has a smaller toe pick, does that mean MK pro will be more suitable for me?

thank you

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I don’t know the difference between the RF3 Pro and Royals, but I have RF3 Pros with CA blades and am about the same level as you, with similar feet and am quite happy. Between MK Pro and CA, I feel like they’re very similar, so pick which one you can get. Stock can be hard to find right now. I don’t like legacy blades, I had them before and just didn’t like them.

Good luck!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don’t know the difference between the RF3 Pro and Royals, but I have RF3 Pros with CA blades and am about the same level as you, with similar feet and am quite happy. Between MK Pro and CA, I feel like they’re very similar, so pick which one you can get. Stock can be hard to find right now. I don’t like legacy blades, I had them before and just didn’t like them.

Good luck!
One is more synthetic like-similar to edea materials and feel, other is more traditional leather. ;)

emilinkaa

On the Ice
Country
Germany
One is more synthetic like-similar to edea materials and feel, other is more traditional leather. ;)
You’re in Risport, right? Which boot line do you prefer? I am a traditional leather fan, but I know some really like the Edea materials.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You’re in Risport, right? Which boot line do you prefer? I am a traditional leather fan, but I know some really like the Edea materials.
Yes, I've alternated b/t Risport and Jackson in a good part of my career. Mostly one brand was my custom singles boot and the other my dance boot. I've worn Risport Dance Prime as of late, but I have worn a custom Jackson dance boot when I was competitive. Currently as a pro, my singles boot is Jackson custom. I prefer leather, but have made a few exceptions.

I did start in Riedell when I was younger, have tried Graf, and tested a few other brands.

tuleytoes

Spectator
Yes, I've alternated b/t Risport and Jackson in a good part of my career. Mostly one brand was my custom singles boot and the other my dance boot. I've worn Risport Dance Prime as of late, but I have worn a custom Jackson dance boot when I was competitive. Currently as a pro, my singles boot is Jackson custom. I prefer leather, but have made a few exceptions.

I did start in Riedell when I was younger, have tried Graf, and tested a few other brands.
If you don’t mind, what are the specs on your Jackson customs? How do you like them? I’m interested in getting customs since rapid custom split-width can’t accommodate the difference in my ball/heel enough. I have an E ball and experience slipping with the C heel even with further pinching. But I’m still on the fence on continuing with Jackson since I don’t want to spend a lot if they don’t work out 😭

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
If you don’t mind, what are the specs on your Jackson customs? How do you like them? I’m interested in getting customs since rapid custom split-width can’t accommodate the difference in my ball/heel enough. I have an E ball and experience slipping with the C heel even with further pinching. But I’m still on the fence on continuing with Jackson since I don’t want to spend a lot if they don’t work out 😭
I wanted to answer quick so you know that I saw this. I can't go into detail at the moment but will later when I have more time regarding my customs.

I will ask though, with your issues have you considered possibly trying Risport?

silverlily1

On the Ice
Hi dear all, i am 30 y/o female, previously casually skated for about 2 years before COVID then started learning skating more seriously for 1-2 years. I'm about 1.7m and 60 kg. Was using jackson artiste but thinking about upgrading my boots and blades (tbh they are really worn out). Currently doing some singles like salchow, toe loop and can do some baby loops. I am virtually fitted online with measures and photos and got recommended risport RF3 or royal pro (a bit flat feet and feet not wide), there are not many good actual fitting shops in where I live so I chose online. i have some questions and would like some advice regarding risport boots, also hope to get advice on blades.

- actually what's the difference between RF3 and royal pro and how to choose between them? I read their catalogue, basically RF3 has a flex notch, royal pro more cushion, but do they actually make a difference in actual skating?

- how to choose between MK pro, coronation ace and legacy 7?
i find that my current beginner blades are really flat and easy to hit toe pick. Also sometimes i tend to lean back during jumps and spins. Comparatively i find spins more difficult than jumps and quite difficult to center my spins. Would these info affect how i choose the blades? I read that legacy 7 is flatter, and MK pro has a smaller toe pick, does that mean MK pro will be more suitable for me?

thank you
One of the other differences between the RF line and the Royal line in Risport is the fit in the toes. Another is that the leather RF boots are a bit stiffer than the equivalent-level Royal boot. In my case, the RFs don't feel right with my foot shape (too constricting in the toes), but the same size in the Royal line fits the shape of my foot much better. I wanted the leather boots, but it was more important to have a good fit for me.

victoria7988

Spectator
I went through the whole MK Pro, Corro Ace, and Legacy 7 debate about a year ago! The blades are all so comparable online that it can be difficult to choose. The best thing I ever did was switch to one of these blades. I ended up settling on the Legacy 7 and have absolutely no regrets! I cannot speak for the MK Pro or the Corro Ace as I have never personally skated in them, but I am not disappointed at all with my Legacy 7 pick. I too found spins more difficult than jumps, so the 7-foot rocker was a must for me when looking for new blades. Usually, there is a "break-in" time when you are getting used to new blades, but not for me! My spins were centered, faster, and had more revolutions on the first day. Immediate improvement. My edge jumps did feel a bit more wobbly for the first couple of days, but once I got used to the 7-foot rocker I got my jumps back super fast. My jumps are WAY better than they used to be, but I've been in these blades for over a year, which means I've also had time to improve and strengthen those jumps, regardless of the blades. So I can't say if the blades helped my jumps at all, but oh, did they ever help my spins! I have used Synchro blades in the past, so I am used to skating with a shorter heel, therefore I can't say much for the falling back part. I too have read that the Jackson blades are a bit flatter, but I honestly find the Legacy 7's super "rocky". Remember, I haven't skated in the MK or Corro Ace so maybe the Legacy's are super flat and I just have nothing to compare them to, but I literally feel myself rocking back and forth all the time on them. They definitely have a good rocker, even if it's flatter than the other two. All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three blades you have listed, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Legacy 7s after a year of heavy use (6 days a week).

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I went through the whole MK Pro, Corro Ace, and Legacy 7 debate about a year ago! The blades are all so comparable online that it can be difficult to choose. The best thing I ever did was switch to one of these blades. I ended up settling on the Legacy 7 and have absolutely no regrets! I cannot speak for the MK Pro or the Corro Ace as I have never personally skated in them, but I am not disappointed at all with my Legacy 7 pick. I too found spins more difficult than jumps, so the 7-foot rocker was a must for me when looking for new blades. Usually, there is a "break-in" time when you are getting used to new blades, but not for me! My spins were centered, faster, and had more revolutions on the first day. Immediate improvement. My edge jumps did feel a bit more wobbly for the first couple of days, but once I got used to the 7-foot rocker I got my jumps back super fast. My jumps are WAY better than they used to be, but I've been in these blades for over a year, which means I've also had time to improve and strengthen those jumps, regardless of the blades. So I can't say if the blades helped my jumps at all, but oh, did they ever help my spins! I have used Synchro blades in the past, so I am used to skating with a shorter heel, therefore I can't say much for the falling back part. I too have read that the Jackson blades are a bit flatter, but I honestly find the Legacy 7's super "rocky". Remember, I haven't skated in the MK or Corro Ace so maybe the Legacy's are super flat and I just have nothing to compare them to, but I literally feel myself rocking back and forth all the time on them. They definitely have a good rocker, even if it's flatter than the other two. All in all, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three blades you have listed, but I have nothing but good things to say about the Legacy 7s after a year of heavy use (6 days a week).
They're working for you b/c you haven't skated in the MK pro or JW coro ace so you don't have anything with a real rocker to compare them to. ;)