Blade Question - What is the difference between MK Pro & Coronation Ace? | Golden Skate

Blade Question - What is the difference between MK Pro & Coronation Ace?

pikachoose12

Spectator
Hey all, I have seen repeated suggestions to get MK Pro or Coronation Ace. What is the difference between these two? The skate tech said they are identical. Past threads seem to suggest the MK Pro has a longer tail and an easier to find rocker, but Coronation Ace is easier to save spins? I was hoping to get anyone's experience who has had both and which might be better for a skater since the skate fitter and my coach haven't filled in the gaps.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Hey all, I have seen repeated suggestions to get MK Pro or Coronation Ace. What is the difference between these two? The skate tech said they are identical. Past threads seem to suggest the MK Pro has a longer tail and an easier to find rocker, but Coronation Ace is easier to save spins? I was hoping to get anyone's experience who has had both and which might be better for a skater since the skate fitter and my coach haven't filled in the gaps.
I've always used MK Pros, so what I know about the difference is only what I've been told about the Coronation Ace. The MK has a higher heel post and it needs more precision and concentration when spinning because it's unforgiving if you wobble, whereas with the Ace it's easier to correct your position. For me the trade-off is that, as a pairs skater, I do more jumping in the sense of adding twists and throws to individual jumps. The lift at the back of the MK Pro blade makes it easier to hit the right spot for edge jumps and the pick for toe jumps, both takeoffs and landings. In theory I should have gone to a more advanced blade when I got into seniors and started doing triples, but I learned everything on the Pros and have never felt the need to change.

If I were in singles or dance, I'd probably have tried the Coronation Ace because of doing more spins and twizzles, maybe even because of needing more precise turns. I've been told it's easier to correct a wobble off the rocker with the Ace, but someone who's used both would need to clarify that for you.

silverlily1

On the Ice
They probably said they're the same because you'll learn to work with what you get and use. Blades are tricky because you can't usually trial them. So you have to look at what you do well and what you want help with, read what the blades seem to be best for, and go from there.

You can learn to fix a spin wobble in any properly-made blade, I'm sure. I'm successful in doing that about 15% of the time right now (but it feels SO satisfying when I do!). But some might be easier than others.

pikachoose12

Spectator
They probably said they're the same because you'll learn to work with what you get and use. Blades are tricky because you can't usually trial them. So you have to look at what you do well and what you want help with, read what the blades seem to be best for, and go from there.

You can learn to fix a spin wobble in any properly-made blade, I'm sure. I'm successful in doing that about 15% of the time right now (but it feels SO satisfying when I do!). But some might be easier than others.
I am trying to find out which blade is best for which skills first! I think it sounds like MK Pro is better for more precise spins, and with Coronation Aces, you sacrifice better spins for a more forgiving spin? It’s hard when I would love a blade that is forgiving and easier to find your rocker!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I am trying to find out which blade is best for which skills first! I think it sounds like MK Pro is better for more precise spins, and with Coronation Aces, you sacrifice better spins for a more forgiving spin? It’s hard when I would love a blade that is forgiving and easier to find your rocker!
MK Pro has an longer rocker profile which helps with spins b/c of minimal friction with the ice. It's a parallel-sided blade.
JW Coronation Ace is also a parallel blade but has a less elongated rocker.

Both are excellent blades and easy to adapt to overall. It has been done by many skaters for years.

No matter which intermediate blade you go with, go with the traditional variation of it not LITE OR REV.

Good luck!

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
One more very minor difference is that the top pick on the Pro is a little bit bigger than on the Ace. You can see it if you look closely, but I don't think it's enough of a difference to impact how it feels on the ice very much - it's nowhere near the size of the top picks on the Phantom and the Pattern 99, for example! :) But I've only skated on the Pro, and not the Ace - so I could be wrong about that.

IceM

Spectator
MK Pro is basically the "beginner" Gold Seal.

Coro Ace is the "beginner" Pattern 99.

"Beginner" meaning that they have 7' main rocker (the part you usually skate on) as opposed to their "advanced" 8' big brothers. Which isn't really a big difference at all, and hence there really are no "beginner" or "advanced" blades, to be frank.

The real difference between the two has to do with the spin rocker radius, MK Pro has a shorter radius, Coro Ace longer (as do Gold Seal and Pattern 99 respectively). This affects the feel of your spinning sweet spot and jump timings (shorter radius moving the sweet spot closer to the toe picks, meaning your heel needs to lift more, if that makes sense).

As to differences in the toe picks...Toe pick differences don't matter in practice. Like, at all.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
Coro Ace is the "beginner" Pattern 99.
Interesting perspective!

I currently wear the coronation ace lites and my coach would like me to upgrade on my next blade purchase. Options are either the Pattern 99 (which is what she wears herself) or the Matrix Supremes.
By your perspective above, the Pattern 99 then would be the most obvious choice even though she says I'm so used to jumping on cross cut picks, I'd have an easier time pick wise with the Matrix Supremes.

Something to further discuss with my coach when the time to upgrade comes (my Coronation Ace lites still have several sharpenings left).

adhara

On the Ice
Country
Finland
Interesting perspective!

I currently wear the coronation ace lites and my coach would like me to upgrade on my next blade purchase. Options are either the Pattern 99 (which is what she wears herself) or the Matrix Supremes.
By your perspective above, the Pattern 99 then would be the most obvious choice even though she says I'm so used to jumping on cross cut picks, I'd have an easier time pick wise with the Matrix Supremes.

Something to further discuss with my coach when the time to upgrade comes (my Coronation Ace lites still have several sharpenings left).
Personally, I don't think you can compare the P99 or Gold Seal to either the MK Pro or Coro Ace.

They're both pretty unique as are most other blades.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
OK.
I guess I'll find out when I personally upgrade to one of the blades suggested by my coach 😂

IceM

Spectator
Interesting perspective!

I would be cautious of taking advice based so heavily on the differences in just the pick design. The purpose of the pick is pretty simple: To dig in the ice. All designs work pretty much the same. Even if people have their preferences, all have been used in high level skating. A straight cut will dig slightly deeper to the ice than a cross cut. But the the actual blade profile plays a much bigger role in how a blade actually works for you (or doesn't).

In the Matrix, you're looking at an even flatter secondary rocker to that of Ace or P99. That might work for you, or it might not. But it is a bigger difference than just the toe pick, in my opinion.

If you really wanted a P99 profile with cross cut picks, you could also contact Paramount and ask them to make you their 27'' ("P99") blade with cross cut picks. That would be pretty cool, I guess.

And, if the cross cut pick design really is your main criteria, then a Gold Seal or Phantom are also possible options for upgrade. Or, their parallel edge (like Ace or P99) "equivalents" from Paramount (12'' for GS, 17'' for Phantom).

Personally, I don't think you can compare the P99 or Gold Seal to either the MK Pro or Coro Ace.

They're both pretty unique as are most other blades.
While I agree with the sentiment to a degree, it's not like we are comparing rocks to oranges here. We're talking about figure skating blades that should conform to some pretty well defined manufacturing specifications. It's not particularly useful or helpful to anybody to just simply state "all blades are totally different".

And, we can take this to the other extreme: All blades are unique, including any two individual blades carrying the same name and coming from the same manufacturer. After all, techs are routinely returning blades with too high tolerances that don't conform to their idea of what the actual blade profile should be. And, a single botched sharpening can turn a Gold Seal to effectively a P99 with tapered, slightly longer blade, cross cut picks, and higher stanchion.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I would be cautious of taking advice based so heavily on the differences in just the pick design. The purpose of the pick is pretty simple: To dig in the ice. All designs work pretty much the same. Even if people have their preferences, all have been used in high level skating. A straight cut will dig slightly deeper to the ice than a cross cut. But the the actual blade profile plays a much bigger role in how a blade actually works for you (or doesn't).

In the Matrix, you're looking at an even flatter secondary rocker to that of Ace or P99. That might work for you, or it might not. But it is a bigger difference than just the toe pick, in my opinion.
Thank you very much for the review!
And, if the cross cut pick design really is your main criteria, then a Gold Seal or Phantom are also possible options for upgrade. Or, their parallel edge (like Ace or P99) "equivalents" from Paramount (12'' for GS, 17'' for Phantom).

The options are either the Pattern 99 or the Matrix Supreme. We had more blade talk during our time together today and I'm very inclined to go with the Pattern 99. Worst that can happen is I hate them/cannot get used to them (which I don't think it's likely to happen, it's my coach suggesting these, who is with me almost everyday and knows my skating the best) and if that happens, will have to discuss what to do then.

IceM

Spectator
Thank you very much for the review!

The options are either the Pattern 99 or the Matrix Supreme. We had more blade talk during our time together today and I'm very inclined to go with the Pattern 99. Worst that can happen is I hate them/cannot get used to them (which I don't think it's likely to happen, it's my coach suggesting these, who is with me almost everyday and knows my skating the best) and if that happens, will have to discuss what to do then.
From those two, I'd lean towards the P99 as the "safer" option as well. They're also significantly cheaper than the Matrix, so it's not as big of a financial risk if they don't work out (which is unlikely). People have made that transition from Aces to P99 for decades, so you should be fine. I'm going to predict that you'll more likely become one of those people who love that huge king pick of theirs at the top, and won't shut up about it :rolleyes: (just joking of course, no animosity towards any P99 users out there, I know it's really cool, gives you that explosive liftoff and all that jazz).

Good luck!

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
I don't have budget constrictions and more concerned about time spent on attempting to get used to blades that might never agree with me instead of evolving skills on blades that are more agreeable with me 😅
She gave me these 2 choices and by analyzing/researching blades myself and talking more about it with her, I think I've made my mind about the P99s. I have a very easy time spinning, no issues there, but feel more attracted/challenged by trying more difficult jumping skills, more rotations, more height, more speed (hence the change to a flatter blade). And yes, who am I trying to fool too ...🤣 I was already loving the look and feel of the aces lite, I love even more how the revs look like. Hope I go through what sharpenings I have left for my coronation aces really fast, so I can make the change faster 😂