2014-2015 GP Predictions game, Round 5: Trophée Bompard | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GP Predictions game, Round 5: Trophée Bompard

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Mrs. P, do you want me to score anything?

And I have a perfect score in the one disipline I don't care about.... somehow.

Florencito

Medalist
65 in the pairs, 60 in the ladies. In the Ice dance should get the podium right. Now, the men OTOH looks like it's going to be :drama: :slink:

LRK

Record Breaker
I just saw the men's results and... Oh... my... sainted... aunt! :eek: Whatever happened there?! Well, I'll now "go" to the video thread and find out...

But, if I weren't convinced before, I am now... No matter what strange rearrangements, reshufflings, and shenanigans the men get up to... regardless... my men's predictions are, and always will be, Doomed! Doomed, I tell you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RIgs3eygo

foruiz

Final Flight
I just saw the men's results and... Oh... my... sainted... aunt! :eek: Whatever happened there?! Well, I'll now "go" to the video thread and find out...

But, if I weren't convinced before, I am now... No matter what strange rearrangements, reshufflings, and shenanigans the men get up to... regardless... my men's predictions are, and always will be, Doomed! Doomed, I tell you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RIgs3eygo

Me, you and the rest of us. I am trying the national lottery later, maybe I can have better luck :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I primarily watch the ladies yet I got every single pick wrong :bang: Oh the shame :slink:

casualfan

On the Ice
I got the Ladies podium right, just in the wrong order. At least I got numbers 4 and 5 correct.:laugh2: .

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
ICE DANCE results.

Ladies and gentelmen, I'm sorry for the delay. I finally finished scoring your Ice Dance predictions. We have 93 eligible ID predictions this time (after 80-88-94-96 at previous events). Not bad at all :) And it was an easiest event for me to score. Most of you pradicted Top 3 absolutely correctly. And a lot of participants have the same Top 5. So we have a lot of winners this time.

1st place with 70 points shared snowflake and guenever. Congratulations! :cheer:
2nd place with 65 points shared... 57(!) participants! It's more than 60% of all contenders. That was really cool :laugh: Great job! :agree:
3rd place with 60 points shared 13 people. You were really close too. Well done! :clap:

Congratulations to all the winners! You can check your score for the event and overall score here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kcxQlE1T1Q4VnJlVno2ZE9zT3c&usp=sharing#gid=16

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
ICE DANCE predictions standing after 4 events:
1) 295 points: HR4
2) 290 points: Mentalopes, malif
3) 285 points: NYscorp6, invisiblespiral, HanDomi, el henry

:cheer::cheer::cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
A lesson for everybody playing the Predictions Game:

If you post your predictions early, make sure you check again that they are right before the deadline arrives.

I didn't check. And so I didn't notice that I had put 2 names the opposite way around to what I had intended. And it was 2 significant names that were the wrong way around.

After the Men's SP, I couldn't remember who I had put as my number 5, so I went to check (turned out it was Dornbush, who was lying 4th after the SP). And I discovered that I had forgotten to swap Kovtun and Menshov around.

And I started to really kick myself! Like, after the SP, Konstantin was indeed in 3rd, whereas Maxim was down in 6th, over 10 points behind him.

I knew that it was going to have to take a disaster from Konstantin (which was the last thing I wanted to happen, as I like the guy a lot!) and a miracle from Maxim to rescue my Predictions score, and that that was unlikely to happen...

But unlikely things do sometimes happen. Konstantin put in a good skate in the FS, and maintained his place behind Machida and Ten. But Maxim put in the absolute skate of his life, and it not only won him the FS, but it also won him the whole competition.

If I had put in my predictions right, I would have scored nothing for Kovtun; 10 points for each of Machida, Ten and Menshov; and 5 points for Dornbush. So, total 35 points.

But because of my mistake, I am scoring points on all of them! 5 points for Kovtun; 10 points each for Machida and Ten; 15 points for Menshov; and 5 points for Dornbush. So, total 45 points.

So the moral of the story:

I don't know! Not checking paid off for me, so it kinda goes against what should be the moral of the story!!! :laugh:

Don't you love how unpredictable this season's GP Series is?! :p

CaroLiza_fan

alebi

Medalist
A lesson for everybody playing the Predictions Game:

If you post your predictions early, make sure you check again that they are right before the deadline arrives.

So the moral of the story:

I don't know! Not checking paid off for me, so it kinda goes against what should be the moral of the story!!! :laugh:

Don't you love how unpredictable this season's GP Series is?! :p

CaroLiza_fan

AHAHAHAHAH :rofl:I suspect this GP season is driving us completely crazy :party2:

ok... I was rather satisfied with my ladies (60 points), dance (65) and pairs (65) predictions when the men thought it was becoming too simple and decided to do the umpteenth mess... I started the season with 55 points, then 50, then 40 twice... and now I did 35 points.... next time what? 30? 25? 0? It's my favourite discipline but it's also where I collect less :bang:

malif

Rinkside
It is true that the results remind a lotery sometimes.

I (may be some other people also) experienced an inverse to what CaroLiza_fan told. Due to the unstable HanYan conditions, I did not include him into initial top 5. Then, listening the reports about his successful trainings, at the last moment promoted him instead of Menshov. The result was a loss. Conclusion is the same: more information dos not necessarily helps.

My only success in this game is a good standing at Dance, which I don't follow at all. This, again, is not a good sign for the game rules (and to the great extent - for ISU).

For the excessive(?) randomness, our rules should be partially blamed, IMHO. The 4th-5th places are really random while they are taken into account as seriously as the podium. Let me wish that our great minds organizing the game would consider some changes next time (still keeping the game easy to score).

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It is true that the results remind a lotery sometimes.

I (may be some other people also) experienced an inverse to what CaroLiza_fan told. Due to the unstable HanYan conditions, I did not include him into initial top 5. Then, listening the reports about his successful trainings, at the last moment promoted him instead of Menshov. The result was a loss. Conclusion is the same: more information dos not necessarily helps.

My only success in this game is a good standing at Dance, which I don't follow at all. This, again, is not a good sign for the game rules (and to the great extent - for ISU).

For the excessive(?) randomness, our rules should be partially blamed, IMHO. The 4th-5th places are really random while they are taken into account as seriously as the podium. Let me wish that our great minds organizing the game would consider some changes next time (still keeping the game easy to score).

As somebody who is trying to organise another Predictions Game for National Championships using largely the same rules, I am obviously going to disagree with you about the rules of the Game being to blame.

For me there are 2 reasons for the excessive randomness. I have already expressed them in another thread, so I will just quote what I wrote then:

This has to be the most unpredictable GP Series ever! :rolleye: In previous seasons, no matter the composition of the entry list, we kinda knew who would slot in where. But this season, there are so many juniors coming up, and so many new partnerships.

A thing I have noticed so far with those that have already had 2 appearances. The trend seems to be that everybody has been doing better than expected in one of their GP's, and not as well as expected in their other GP. And it is making things a nightmare for the Predictions Game!

For some, they are stunningly good in their first GP, and then we expect them to be stunningly good again in their 2nd, and they do not live up to those expectations. For others, they are disappointing in their first, and we expect them to be disappointing again in their 2nd, but they are brilliant!

It is normal for the season after an Olympics to be a season of transition. But, there seems to be more changes this time than there was after Vancouver.

And we do not usually see such large contrasts in performance between what a skater does at one Grand Prix, and what they do at their next.

No matter what rules are used, they will not be able to deal with these factors.

Just wait and see. If the GP Predictions Game is held again next season (which I really hope it is!), the results will not appear to be as random. All the upheaval after the Olympics will have settled down. We will be used to all the new faces appearing, and will have a good idea of where they should fit in compared to their opponents.

After that, it is all down to the skaters themselves, and how they perform on the day. And however much we may want to, we cannot control that.

So, please don't blame the rules of the Game.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
If I had gone with the predictions I had on paper this week at TEB, I would have done better. But when it comes time to post to the predictions thread, I lose my objectivity and have been going with my heart not my head (especially in Dance). Anyway, thanks again to the scorers and good luck next week everyone!!

desertskates

Medalist
Amazing how my best scores are from disciplines I know nothing about :laugh:

:D Me too. I did fairly well in dance this time. But I usually pay attention most to the ladies and my predictions this time around are so bad that my score kind of makes me cringe!