2014 Finlandia Trophy | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2014 Finlandia Trophy

LRK

Record Breaker
Is anyone planning on attending (maybe rehearsals as well) and writing a report a la Alex D?

I'm thinking of doing something like that, but I probably won't be able to go to the rehearsals...

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, TMC! It's great to have "our own reporter" on the spot. :)

TMC

Record Breaker
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, TMC! It's great to have "our own reporter" on the spot. :)

I'd be so grateful for any reports you can give. :)
I love reading first hand reports...and opinions too.

Glad to hear this, as I hadn't decided yet if it really would be worth it :) I was really excited about doing it, because I do love reading those reports myself, so much.

But then a couple of weeks ago poor Alex D got blasted for some things he wrote, like daring to prefer a no-name skater's spins to Julia's. I'm quite a sensitive person and even though I should just go "ah well I don't even know these people what do I care what they say about me", I will instead legit lose sleep if cause people to get angry with me because of something I say. It's a stupid problem of mine and I really ought to get over it already, but it's difficult because of some things that have happened to me irl that left me a bit "weak" so to speak. Or I guess vulnerable would be a better word :eek:hwell:

Anyway, maybe doing this would be a challenge and an opportunity to grow a thicker skin in the process, who knows? ;) I think I will write something. I'll try to write in the least offensive way I can think of...I guess I could imitate the style of Ryan Stevens whose sweetness and attitude I greatly admire!

Mrs P. already encouraged me to do this, and now you (and evidently I myself) have convinced me to give it a go!

I'm one of those people whose enjoyment of a thing is greatly increased by sharing it with other people. So if (and hopefully when) people (my faves being Adam and Sammi) skate well, I will be over the moon to be able to describe the skates and gush over them together with you :biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Oh please do! For me, sharing the event via a friend's report is almost as good as being there :love:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
So there seems to be some confusion as to whether Artur will still compete at Finlandia - he's still listed on the ISU's official entry page (last update on the 7th). Maybe he was warming up at the Russian Cup event? If he does go, then he can definitely win - he landed every single jump in the LP at the RC event, including 4T and 4T-2T and 2 3As.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Mrs P. already encouraged me to do this, and now you (and evidently I myself) have convinced me to give it a go!

I'm one of those people whose enjoyment of a thing is greatly increased by sharing it with other people. So if (and hopefully when) people (my faves being Adam and Sammi) skate well, I will be over the moon to be able to describe the skates and gush over them together with you :biggrin:

Look forward to reading your reports, TMC. :)

(In addition to the skating, I am interested in Finlandia's mitten project. Hope the skaters appreciate the craftmanship. I am not a knitter myself, but have enjoyed seeing all the colorful patterns on the Finnish fed's FB page. I see that Finlandia is trying some other unusual stuff too ... such as the skater art project and the Angry Birds mascot. :think:)

Is the live streaming not free this year? It was free last year, IIRC.

Purchase of a Finlandia streaming pass is necessary this year. (Note: the pass will not work in Japan, where taped [I believe] coverage of the competition will be broadcast.)

LRK

Record Breaker
@TMC - cheer a little for Liza on my behalf, please? pretty please? I do so wish her to do well! :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
So there seems to be some confusion as to whether Artur will still compete at Finlandia - he's still listed on the ISU's official entry page (last update on the 7th). Maybe he was warming up at the Russian Cup event? If he does go, then he can definitely win - he landed every single jump in the LP at the RC event, including 4T and 4T-2T and 2 3As.

He won't be there...here is the results page as of yesterday, with Petrov instead of Artur:

http://www.figureskatingresults.fi/results/1415/CSFIN2014/CAT003EN.HTM

Also on the official page of FSRussia, Petrov is listed.

The composition of the competition in Finland

October 7, 2014
In the Finnish town of Espoo from 9 to 12 October will be an international tournament, "Finland Trophy", which this season is part of a series «ISU Chellenger Series».

The tournament consists of three individual events, except for the guy skating; plus a synchronized figure skating.

In the Russian team five singles, a dance duet and one team in synchronized skating.

The composition of the tournament:

Women : Maria Artemyev, Elizabeth Tuktamysheva.

Men : Sergei Voronov, Artur Dmitriev, Alexander Petrov.

Dancing : Alexander Stepanov - Ivan Bukin.

Team Synchronized Skating : "Paradise" (St. Petersburg).

TMC

Record Breaker
@TMC - cheer a little for Liza on my behalf, please? pretty please? I do so wish her to do well! :)

Of course I will - and for my own behalf as well, for sure! She is one of my faves as well, I really loved her sass and determination at Nebelhorn ;)

TMC

Record Breaker
Look forward to reading your reports, TMC. :)

(In addition to the skating, I am interested in Finlandia's mitten project. Hope the skaters appreciate the craftmanship. I am not a knitter myself, but have enjoyed seeing all the colorful patterns on the Finnish fed's FB page. I see that Finlandia is trying some other unusual stuff too ... such as the skater art project and the Angry Birds mascot. :think:)

Thank you :)

And yes they really went all in this year it seems. The draw for starting order was held today in a shopping mall, they were really trying to make it into a big event. You could meet the skaters there and stuff. I'm glad they're really trying to do something to "bring the sport from the rink to where the people are", but I don't know how it's going irl. Hopefully well! Anyway, most Finns seem to be total suckers for anything that smells of celebrity so I'm sure there was a bunch of people watching the event, even if they don't care / know about about the sport itself that much :biggrin:

LRK

Record Breaker
Thank you :)

And yes they really went all in this year it seems. The draw for starting order was held today in a shopping mall, they were really trying to make it into a big event. You could meet the skaters there and stuff. I'm glad they're really trying to do something to "bring the sport from the rink to where the people are", but I don't know how it's going irl. Hopefully well! Anyway, most Finns seem to be total suckers for anything that smells of celebrity so I'm sure there was a bunch of people watching the event, even if they don't care / know about about the sport itself that much :biggrin:

That's quite funny... I believe that my first reaction when reading this was "A shopping mall? Really?" - but I believe that was probably my Snobbish Side speaking. And, really... hang my Snobbish Side! I don't know if it's going to work, or what it will "do", but... you know what? At least they are trying to do something - and kudos to them for that!

TMC

Record Breaker
That's quite funny... I believe that my first reaction when reading this was "A shopping mall? Really?" - but I believe that was probably my Snobbish Side speaking. And, really... hang my Snobbish Side! I don't know if it's going to work, or what it will "do", but... you know what? At least they are trying to do something - and kudos to them for that!

You know I could've written that, those were my exact thoughts as well! From "What is this now? Seriously?" to "Well who am I to say it won't work" to "Heck, kudos to them for trying!"

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
TMC, here is another one who will love your nice report. Promise not to bash you or your opinions :)

Figure Skating to the people :laugh:

Has it already happened? Here it says Thursday 6.30 pm. The skaters will also 'paint a piece of art' that will be shown at the Arena and then auctioned for the benefit of children in need.

Anyone who knows something about the Finlandia banner picture…. the sailor skating with his girlfriend… from the fifties?

TMC

Record Breaker
TMC, here is another one who will love your nice report. Promise not to bash you or your opinions :)

Figure Skating to the people :laugh:

Has it already happened? Here it says Thursday 6.30 pm. The skaters will also 'paint a piece of art' that will be shown at the Arena and then auctioned for the benefit of children in need.

Anyone who knows something about the Finlandia banner picture…. the sailor skating with his girlfriend… from the fifties?

Oh you're right - I saw an ad somewhere that said Wednesday yet the date was correct!

ETA: Artwork - here you are http://www.finlandiatrophy.com/en/nw/9606/the+story+of+the+artwork+for+finlandia+trophy+espoo.html

Found it the other night when I watched Henna&Ossi's long and noticed that the lift looked very familiar :biggrin: Did some digging and foud this article.

I absolutely LOVE it. But then I love the 1950s New Look style anyway. Even my wedding dress was a copy of an actual 50s tea-length dress ;)

Sackie

Medalist
This should prove to be an easy win for Adam! Canada could learn a lesion from the USA by sending skaters to all these B events. The USA sends skaters that end up getting good results and therefore get noticed by the judges and set themselves up well for future competitions.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This should prove to be an easy win for Adam! Canada could learn a lesion from the USA by sending skaters to all these B events. The USA sends skaters that end up getting good results and therefore get noticed by the judges and set themselves up well for future competitions.

Basically I think it's Adam vs. Sergei (Voronov) for the win. Should be interesting.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Basically I think it's Adam vs. Sergei (Voronov) for the win. Should be interesting.

I think Sergei will win unless something goes very wrong (though I do like Adam). I'm more curious about the bronze...Petrov, Bychenko, or even Misha Ge? :laugh: It would be nice to see Misha on a podium once...

Meoima

Match Penalty
Please skating god, please let Misha Ge on podium this time. Fingers crossed!!

LRK

Record Breaker
I've nothing against Misha, but.... I'll be cheering for Petrov. :)