2014 Japan Open | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2014 Japan Open

cebi26

On the Ice
Elena is amazing! And Ashley really needs to stop doing that face everytime she doesn't receive the scores she wants (but what a gorgeous red dress!)

Alba

Record Breaker
I do wish Pogo would pay a visit to Madison Chock's hairdresser.

I must say I loved the messy hair. I thought it was perfect with the music, and I was wondering did she made that on purpose or what? :laugh:
I don't think so, but I loved that. :biggrin:

Barb

Record Breaker
The PCS score surprises me a little. I thought Anna's artistry was improved. She didn't seem frantic and flailing about like she has in the past.

I do wish Pogo would pay a visit to Madison Chock's hairdresser. And if she could take Polina Edmunds with her when she goes, that would be great. Both these ladies could use a new 'do.

:laugh: :yes:

SkateFigurin I did not want to watch Taka performance because I knew he was bad but I just watch it and yes, it was really beautiful program and skating (except the obvious mistakes) but what happened with him?, it was a heart breaking performance, mistakes in the spins and step seq, he was nervous or injured:confused:?, poor Taka :cry:

desertskates

Medalist
Ashley had a bad skate day and a bad hair day imo. Hope her old two foot nemesis is not coming back. This was a very sloppy skate.

Agreed. And the hair? Yeah, not good. I hope she puts all of the hair in a low, short pony next time.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I actually like Anna's costume, haha. Just not the gloves.

I won't say I like her costume but I do think without the gloves it would be decent. Let's just say I've seen some pretty awful ones over the years. There are very few Firebird costumes that don't make me want to hurl.:slink:

slider11

Medalist
Have to agree, Ruffles78, that Mirai definitely has potential with this program. Could not see the under rotations they pegged her for but I presume there was cause. But if they are under rotated she's very close to full so that should be encouraging. Ashley did look beautiful in that red dress but the program is still rough and needs some Moulin emotion. Her jumps were more noticeably deficient. Good for Patrick with a gutsy performance. Sometimes you need to be away from something to get back the fire. I think it's good for him to chill this year and regain the fire. I know Davis and White were there. Exhibition? Anyone have the link?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I cannot find a final standing and score report. I am so happy to see both Radionova and Anna did very well, while I am a little disappointed at Maria Sotskova and Alexandra's performance on the junior circle.
I love Anna's dress, hair and interpretation. Can anyone explain why Anna scored much lower than Satoko? Anna had a single axel, but the GOE for most of her jumps should be high, which is the opposite of Satoko's. I thought Anna also improved her spins and overall had a much stronger presence than Satoko. Wonder how much of the gap is related to the competition being hosted by Japan.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I feel after the Olympics, Ashley has lost some motivation to continue, especially with the rise of Polina and Gracie. It's a matter of time both young girls will increase their PCS scores, and Ashley will not get better, if not lower TES. I don't really see the chance of her getting ahead of Polina and Gracie.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
A quick fix of Radio's "hairy" dress. just take away all the sequins etc. only leave the pearls, on the opening close-up, the pattern of those pearls actually is quite elegant.:)

EDIT: for someone like Radio who does not have a long, prominent neck, too much decoration on the neck area is not ideal... I think white pearls with simple pattern is a nice compliment to that blue dress.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^ agreed Radionova indeed has some sloppy parts in her program, but considering it is just the beginning of this season and she is very young. She is truly amazing. She will definitely be a threat to the current top 2 Russian ladies.
SkateFiguring , thanks for clarifying the current costume designer situation for Patrick. I also believe that a veteran like Patrick know what is best for him in terms of coaching team etc. just my good wish that his jump could be better in the future. This program has a lot of potential. I also like the music editing a lot. Can someone find out what Chopin's music is included in this program.
EDIT: I just watched Michelle's SP, I find some borrowed moves... (also the band-leg lay-over spin position is a bit Yuna ;)). Could be a tribute to those figure skating greats. Learn from the best as they say.

Chan's music, at the beginning, is the Revolutionary Étude. The middle part is a prelude best known for being one of the five easy pieces in the Jack Nicholson movie. I do not know what the last part is.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
The PCS score surprises me a little. I thought Anna's artistry was improved. She didn't seem frantic and flailing about like she has in the past.

I do wish Pogo would pay a visit to Madison Chock's hairdresser. And if she could take Polina Edmunds with her when she goes, that would be great. Both these ladies could use a new 'do.
Agree about the hair, but I really didn't like the program, 59 was very generous for me: her skating is actually still frantic and unrefined, definitely not worth more than 7 for PE, CH or IN (some judges actually gave her all 6s), so far I like her SP but I'm not sure about this FS :eek:hwell:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Agree about the hair, but I really didn't like the program, 59 was very generous for me: her skating is actually still frantic and unrefined, definitely not worth more than 7 for PE, CH or IN (some judges actually gave her all 6s), so far I like her SP but I'm not sure about this FS :eek:hwell:

Agreed. I see slight improvement in Anna but, for the most part, she still has a long way to go. She still lacks polish and she's not connecting to what she's doing enough. I feel around 58 in PCS (or 59) was fair. I'm just glad she didn't get 64+ like she did at worlds earlier this year. Those were mega-inflated scores that she did not deserve. Anna still has a lot she needs to work on and by giving her a 59, hopefully she'll work on it.