2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Ladies SP 11/21 | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2014 Trophée Eric Bompard Ladies SP 11/21

begin

Medalist
Oh goodness Lipnitskaia's PCs have finally come down to earth. It feels like forever since I've seen a well-scored event.

Amei

Record Breaker
While I don't agree that Ashley is wearing "almost nothing," there is a difference in how a 15 year old is supposed to dress/act and the dress/behavior of a 21 year old.

It's funny that we are not supposed to comment on body type, but it's totally okay to say young girls have "improper" programs. And Ashley's costume is "proper" how? 15-year-old girl dancing to Jlo = improper. 21-year-old wearing almost nothing = interpreting music.

I feel the younger skaters can't win - Yulia dresses like a 15-16 year old & does themed programs to her age - she gets criticized, Elena dresses like an older skater & skates to JLo music - she gets criticized.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This isn't a knock or anything on Ashley but instead an honest question. I'm having trouble placing the facial expressions Ashley uses during her SP. At first my reaction was she was portraying disbelief then I started to search for faces of disbelief online and wasn't convinced. Then I started to look for bewilderment and that didn't really gel either. So how exactly does one describe her facial expressions. I really am curious and kind of disappointed in myself for not being able to properly identify it. Any help in educating this skating nerd would be greatly appreciated.

Not that every program needs a story but is there one for this particular program that would shed light. FWIW I had to watch it with no sound so I don't even know what music she used.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
This isn't a knock or anything on Ashley but instead an honest question. I'm having trouble placing the facial expressions Ashley uses during her SP. At first my reaction was she was portraying disbelief then I started to search for faces of disbelief online and wasn't convinced. Then I started to look for bewilderment and that didn't really gel either. So how exactly does one describe her facial expressions. I really am curious and kind of disappointed in myself for not being able to properly identify it. Any help in educating this skating nerd would be greatly appreciated.

Not that every program needs a story but is there one for this particular program that would shed light. FWIW I had to watch it with no sound so I don't even know what music she used.
Maybe... "wonder"?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker

Not sure. Her ending expression looks distraught imo :eek:hwell:

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
This is unusual for me, but after looking at both JLip and ERadio, I think Lip deserves to be in first over Radio. I think Julia was spot on for the most part. Some of Julia's spins traveled a bit and she of course doesn't have the best double axel in terms of technique, but Julia is a bit less rushed and frantic than Elena at this point. I especially think it's cool that Julia came back so strong from her first GP. I thought Ashley looked great out there and determined. Ash should have a bit more on PCS in my opinion. I also felt that Meite deserved to be above Artemieva, especially with Meite skating in her home country. I guess judges felt that they already gave Meite a few extra points for being in France, compared with how badly they low-balled her at her previous GP. I also think Sammi Cesario should have a bit higher PCS than her compatriot, Courtney Hicks.

Radionova comes across as a prepubescent child with "adult" programs. She is a technical wonder, but awkwardly gawky. There is a wobbly look to most of her skating, which I think will disappear as she gains physical maturity. She is extremely talented with an infectious personae on ice. But her skating lacks the poise, finesse and maturity of Wagner or even Julia. In direct competition with a clean Elizaveta, I don't understand how Elena wins. (And while I on the soapbox, I don't understand any beauty or appeal to all the awkward lunging, flailing footwork that seems unrelated to the character of the overall program skated.) I have been following and attending FS events for decades, and I must admit that I have lost a measure of love and devotion to the sport and the direction it is headed.

thoakun

Final Flight
Not sure. Her ending expression looks distraught imo :eek:hwell:
Was she supposed to portray Phygia, the wife of Spartacus, and she was trying to express the deep loving union between Phygia and Spartacus?:scratch: Or is her interpretation not meant to stay close to the ballet? I'm under the impression that most of Ashley's programs are more about herself than being concerned with recreating a certain character.

Last edited:

Jungle2

Rinkside
But her dress looks more like Egina. This program left me confused, though I really like Ashley.

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight

I thought she was portraying suffering or torture.

But as Ashley said in her interview the story in her SP is about ... her! :cheer:
"The whole program is about me taking control and reaching out to the audience so they can understand just how desperate of a time my character is going through."

Tried to share the link, but the wild message appeared about the site not being in partnership with golden skate bla bla bla
In case you are interested, you can find a full interview by googling the quote.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I really don't get the fine quality in Yulia's skating, especially this season. She moves her arms like crazy (waving to be exact, which is fine if she is portraying a sailor) in the short program, but since she does not have long or skinny arms like Edmunds, or Anna, the problem may not be that obvious. Her arm movement is much less refined than Radionova or Ashley.

shine

Record Breaker

Maybe watching with sound on will help you relate better??

I really don't get the fine quality in Yulia's skating, especially this season. She moves her arms like crazy (waving to be exact, which is fine if she is portraying a sailor) in the short program, but since she does not have long or skinny arms like Edmunds, or Anna, the problem may not be that obvious. Her arm movement is much less refined than Radionova or Ashley.
I think she's adequately polished overall but definitely not a vision of elegance. I wouldn't say she flails, but I do find her arm movement very formulaic and repetitive. Radionova's arm movement is a lot more meaningful and specific to the music, but I don't think she is able to control her limbs yet, which makes her appear very frantic.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I was finally able to watch the SP. I'm not impressed with Radianova. I think Lipnitskaia is overrated and I'm glad her PCS is finally realistic. Her jumps are a gnat's breath off the ice. She has beautiful rotation and wonderful spins but she never looks like she's having fun out there. It's like she's reported for work that day. Ho hum!

It was soooo refreshing listening to Ryan Bradley instead of Peter Carruthers. Ryan felt Ashley was underscored and, quite frankly, so do I. I thought she skated one of her better programs.

Can't wait for the LP.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Radionova comes across as a prepubescent child with "adult" programs. She is a technical wonder, but awkwardly gawky. There is a wobbly look to most of her skating, which I think will disappear as she gains physical maturity. She is extremely talented with an infectious personae on ice. But her skating lacks the poise, finesse and maturity of Wagner or even Julia. In direct competition with a clean Elizaveta, I don't understand how Elena wins. (And while I on the soapbox, I don't understand any beauty or appeal to all the awkward lunging, flailing footwork that seems unrelated to the character of the overall program skated.) I have been following and attending FS events for decades, and I must admit that I have lost a measure of love and devotion to the sport and the direction it is headed.

Agree completely, I think Radionova is technically great but otherwise... I mostly agree with you about the direction in which the sport is headed. People with beautiful skating but not 100% nailed down technicals get left behind while we are forced to watch war horse programs and "jumping/spinning contests". :slink:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yulia smiles a lot in her new SP and people are still saying she doesn't look like she's having fun out there. :confused2:

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
About Elena. Well, I somehow think it's partly because of her built. She has really long limbs combined with a really thin frame that makes her look awkward and gawky sometimes. Hopefully, she can use it to her advantage to create more beautiful lines and movements on the ice. She does have a lot of competitive fire in her, which I really admire.

I honestly don't mind that she's performing to a music that might be considered sultry or a little too mature for her age, as long as the interpretation and her performance is not seductive, adult-like or something (which luckily, isn't).

Last edited:

Mangomango

On the Ice
About Elena. Well, I somehow think it's partly because of her built. She has really long limbs combined with a really thin frame that makes her look awkward and gawky sometimes. Hopefully, she can use it to her advantage to create more beautiful lines and movements on the ice. She does have a lot of competitive fire in her, which I really admire.

I honestly don't mind that she's performing to a music that might be considered sultry or a little too mature for her age, as long as the interpretation and her performance is not seductive, adult-like or something (which luckily, isn't).

I actually liked her music! It was fun listening to J-Lo again, and I agree with you, her interpretation wasn't supposed to be seductive...
But it seemed too much like... A gala programme, and her step sequence was has helicopter-ish as Gracie, with skinnier wings. She needs to work on defining her movements.

I also don't see how Elena can win Liza at this state. Her tight shoulder makes her look even more gawky. She probably wouldn't have beaten Yulia if she hadn't reduced the difficulty of her programme and jumped the triple lutz triple toe loop. But no one enjoys the stage as much as Elena does, so you go girl! And I would think of changing the costume, or at least taking off that glove thing. :no:

thoakun

Final Flight
Yulia smiles a lot in her new SP and people are still saying she doesn't look like she's having fun out there. :confused2:
Alas, I think skaters in general can't win. They will always be criticized for putting on a blank face (Mirai), smiling too much (Elena), skating to childish themes (Julia), skating to too sultry music (Elena), skating to warhorses (Liza) etc. For me, if a skater gives it her all and enjoys the stage, her music choice is just a backdrop.

Last edited:

Mangomango

On the Ice
Alas, I think skaters in general can't win. They will always be criticized for putting on a blank face (Mirai), smiling too much (Elena), skating to childish themes (Julia), skating to too sultry music (Elena), skating to warhorses (Liza) etc. For me, if a skater is really into her program and enjoy themselves out there, their music choice is just a backdrop.

The music is never a backdrop!!
It carries the idea which they should skate to. So I can play a Rachmaninoff piano concerto and not think it matters when the skater does a tango-like routine but has a lot of fun?

Of course it's very important to enjoy and be confident. Figure skating is a type of performance. But what makes it dance-like and artistic? It's the music!
I must say I disagree completely with you. Music is the essence of figure skating.
If music didn't matter, these girls can start speed skating next season.

thoakun

Final Flight
The music is never a backdrop!!
It carries the idea which they should skate to. So I can play a Rachmaninoff piano concerto and not think it matters when the skater does a tango-like routine but has a lot of fun?

Of course it's very important to enjoy and be confident. Figure skating is a type of performance. But what makes it dance-like and artistic? It's the music!
I must say I disagree completely with you. Music is the essence of figure skating.
If music didn't matter, these girls can start speed skating next season.

What I mean is that if a skater brings out her A-game, I can temporarily forget the flaws in the choreography and enjoy the performance as a whole. I don't like J.Lo music and I prefer Spartacus but I enjoy Lena's performance the most because she just has a flair for performance. If other skaters use that music, I may never enjoy it that much. If a skater skates to Rachmaninov in a tango style, she can't be considered as understanding the music. Btw, I'm talking about how a skater will be always nitpicked for certain things, but it's important to note that when fitting pieces together, it's the whole picture that matters.

Last edited: