2015 JGP Colorado Springs Mens SP Sep 3 | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Colorado Springs Mens SP Sep 3

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan's is the highest SP score by some 9 points. I don't think it's performance where he needs to give it more, it's the spins that weren't at the level they should be. He maybe relies too much on performance and doesn't pay attention to the technical details of his spins.

He is portraying Michael Jackson in his SP and that is an easy way of getting out of one's shyness (i.e. 'being' someone else means it isn't really you out there), but then the technical Nathan isn't quite in control.

However---Nathan's program was the cleanest program with a 3a and it was clearly the best Men's SP we've seen so far in the JGP.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Finally Nathan Chen got his big 3A. The height of the other two jumps look borderline though. He is the Boyang Jin type of fast rotator, so he may not need that much height in his jumps. The performance part is I enjoy most.

sbaker

On the Ice
Just watched the event. I'm so happy that Nathan put out such a strong performance.

Nathan's SP score of 77.13 TES 42.20 PCS 34.93 is the highest in the JGP so far by 8.29 points.
His TES is the highest by 5.37 points and his PCS by 1.92.

The performance is the weakest part of this program, but it's really not bad. I think he's off to a great start and that his interpretation will only improve as he gains confidence throughout the season.

Since Nathan and Nam are often compared, I thought it would be interesting to share that Nam's SP Personal Best from Worlds was 77.73 TES 42.02 PCS 35.68.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Yes, Nathan was excellent! He reminded me of Yuzuru's short at the Olympics. Nathan 3A was not as good as Yuzuru, but the energy and the design seemed similar. I have a question...It's the first time I see Nathan, and I was troubled by his curly hair. It can't be natural...Is he of Chinese/asian background?
Other than his hair, I loved him!

PS: Now I think he did that because of the Michael Jackson theme...stupid me

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Nathan Chen's 77.13 score today is the highest jgp score ever., beating Sota Yamamoto's 76.14. Sota's already been eying Nathan as his toughest competition this season and that seems to have been reinforced today.

I thought his performance was fine? I think he has work to do on the spins.

Yes, Nathan was excellent! He reminded me of Yuzuru's short at the Olympics. Nathan 3A was not as good as Yuzuru, but the energy and the design seemed similar. I have a question...It's the first time I see Nathan, and I was troubled by his curly hair. It can't be natural...Is he of Chinese/asian background?

I'm of Asian descent and my hair is naturally wavy and fine, which stems opposite of the straight and thick hair most have.

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Yaaaaaaaay, Nathan!

Frigging fabulous.:clap:

(Slightly delayed reaction due to watching everything on a slightly delayed schedule).

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker

PS: Now I think he did that because of the Michael Jackson theme...stupid me

Looks natural to me. My dad, brother and son all have that same type of thick, curly hair. My grandfather did as well. We're also of Asian descent.

Was so looking forward to seeing Nathan perform this program flawlessly. He didn't disappoint. Nice job!

Cdimop

Rinkside
That seems like a big accomplishment for Boucher. I think he is a late bloomer and placed 9th at junior nationals (USA) last year. This is a big break through for him assuming he skates a good long.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Jackson won!!:cheer2:

& 2 Sorpionses & Bond :bow:

Jimmy Ma & Alexei Krasnozhon are commenting on Youtube
lol good thing Krasnozhon wasnt reading our cyrillic comments about him from the Riga comp :laugh2:

I really don't know how to feel about his outfit :think:

eta: SAVAGE GARDEN
oh SG was playing in there too!!????
edit: I guess it was background music
Someone def should make a FS program to SG! it would be my dream come true!:cheer:

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
oh SG was playing in there too!!????
edit: I guess it was background music
Someone def should make a FS program to SG! it would be my dream come true!:cheer:

A fellow fan! :dance: And yeah, just bg music, but I was still excited to hear them :biggrin:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Apologies if I missed a mention of this: Nathan Chen's 77.13 score today is also a new SP record for junior men, beating Sota Yamamoto's 76.14 from the JGPF last season.
Do they separate JGP records from Jr Worlds records? I just noticed this. Anyway I think Nathan Chen has the best overall skating among junior men and he could beat Shoma Uno's Jr Worlds score too if he stays healthy. Unless he goes to Sr Worlds instead?

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Do they separate JGP records from Jr Worlds records? I just noticed this. Anyway I think Nathan Chen has the best overall skating among junior men and he could beat Shoma Uno's Jr Worlds score too if he stays healthy. Unless he goes to Sr Worlds instead?

i dont know :think: i think they shouldnt, just to mention shoma's JW score is 84,87

back to competition;
Finally new PB for Nathan after 3 years!! :cheer: i loveee that program, i agree that he needs to perform more but i think he was more into the program than he has ever been, esp after landing 3F, i dont know what happened with his spins, they are usually better, seemed like he was trying new positions for his combo spin , that would explain missing level , and he has to drop that illusion spin :hopelessness: i loved the new ending pose and his jumps seemed higher to me; he lost too much points on spins, he really can break Shoma's record ! and of course Ted had to ask him about Nam
such a shame about the 3A for Sota, he was struggling with it during warm up but landed one at the last second, i love the timing of the 3Lz3T, perfect with music and his performance was good, better luck for the FP!! :cheer: and please dont butcher his name
tomoki was great except that popped flip, he could have been 2nd or 3rd (i would put him 2nd :biggrin:) going into free, he has very good spins and one handed biellman!
Mitsuki was technically good but i didnt feel anything during his program,he could have been skating to any music; he is still young though and very promising
i am really impressed with Yaroslav and i love James' smile right before he started !!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh I forgot about Shoma's junior worlds score! Doh! Opps. Guess out of sight, out of mind...

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Apologies if I missed a mention of this: Nathan Chen's 77.13 score today is also a new SP record for junior men, beating Sota Yamamoto's 76.14 from the JGPF last season. Sota's already been eying Nathan as his toughest competition this season and that seems to have been reinforced today.

I thought his performance was fine? I think he has work to do on the spins.

I'm of Asian descent and my hair is naturally wavy and fine, which stems opposite of the straight and thick hair most have.

Spins and expression. I think he changed his facial expression twice the entire program. You're skating to music called "Smile" [hint, hint]. I did like the hand to head [hat] gesture--very MJ. The elements are very good, it's actually all pretty good. But a little more emotional engagement will really make it sing.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Apologies if I missed a mention of this: Nathan Chen's 77.13 score today is also a new SP record for junior men, beating Sota Yamamoto's 76.14 from the JGPF last season.
It may be a record for junior GPs, but it's not a record for junior mens SP overall - Shoma Uno got 84.87 points at the last Junior Worlds.

Edit: Oops, I was much too slow (doing other things while writing my response).

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It may be a record for junior GPs, but it's not a record for junior mens SP overall - Shoma Uno's got 84.87 points at the last Junior Worlds.

Yep, I realized my error, see my post above. :)

Sabrina

Record Breaker
about Nathan's curly hair.
http://www.anime-planet.com/images/characters/tsukasa_domyoji_6877.jpg
This is the main character of one of the most popular manga (Boys over Flowers) in Asia, And his signature look is coarse, thick, curly hair, just like Nathan's:biggrin:
I did some "research" and Nathan has natural very thick straight hair. I think he did those curls because of M. Jackson theme, and I am absolutely OK with that. He has this hair only during SP!
But curly or straight, I loved him.

Last edited: