2015 JGP Cup of Austria Ladies Short Program Sep 10 | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2015 JGP Cup of Austria Ladies Short Program Sep 10

witcher

Match Penalty
I have never seen skater so shocked and confused after a spin(!).
It must have been some great pain, because what else? :shocked:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Maria was just gorgeous. She should be the leader with a hefty margin because her skating is just so much better than anybody else's here. But she is only the second. She is closer and closer to Caro in her style. Well it is going to be enough for the final, although I do hope that she will close the gap and win this event. Cannot say that I was overwhelmed by her LP in Riga but her SP is a masterpiece and she was even better this time. Mia is an OK performer - sort of Satoko style. But this is not my piece of cake. The only junior Japanese girl that impressed me so far was Marin Honda.

As for Wakaba, it is sad what happened - hope she will do her best during FP.I have never been a big fan of her skating and even judging by the first part when she was still OK not much has changed since the last year. And once again she got the same 46 as Anastasia Galustyan received for a clean skate in Colorado.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Didn't Wakaba miss some training time this summer because of an injury (and that's why her first JGP was later)? Maybe it flared up again during the layback?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Anastasia did not have a clean skate in Colorado, she had 3 UR's and an ! edge call in the sp.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/jgpusa2015/jgpusa2015_JuniorLadies_SP_Scores.pdf

She did, however, have a very pleasant-to-watch performance, because the errors did not affect the continuity of the program. Unfortunately, such programs do not score well under current rules.l

This is the kind of performance that Mirai Nagasu of the US often gives, causing endless arguments among fans in the US Ladies thread.

I hope Anastasia can fix her technique problems!

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Didn't Wakaba miss some training time this summer because of an injury (and that's why her first JGP was later)? Maybe it flared up again during the layback?

Apparently she pulled out of Asian Trophy earlier this year due to injury. I wonder the same

chloepoco

Medalist
Maria was just gorgeous. She should be the leader with a hefty margin because her skating is just so much better than anybody else's here. But she is only the second. She is closer and closer to Caro in her style. Well it is going to be enough for the final, although I do hope that she will close the gap and win this event. Cannot say that I was overwhelmed by her LP in Riga but her SP is a masterpiece and she was even better this time. Mia is an OK performer - sort of Satoko style. But this is not my piece of cake. The only junior Japanese girl that impressed me so far was Marin Honda.

As for Wakaba, it is sad what happened - hope she will do her best during FP.I have never been a big fan of her skating and even judging by the first part when she was still OK not much has changed since the last year. And once again she got the same 46 as Anastasia Galustyan received for a clean skate in Colorado.

Not sure if you intended that as a compliment or a criticism. But as far as I'm concerned, if she's anything remotely like Satoko in style, that's a good thing. Really good.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Miahara wins. Then she and Maria will both have 28 points and they will both make the final. WIN/WIN.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope the technical problems are gone for the remaining events. I don't want to get up early in the AM to find I can't watch live skating.....

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I like Maria's SP so much. I agree she performed it better at this outing, although the axel was a bit scratchy. To me, she really has the whole package.

Da Bin I am liking more and more this season. I know the SP music is goofy, but I think she likes it and is performing better than she has in the past. I sort of wish for her to make the JGPF.

Sad for Wakaba.

Pervushkina definitely brought the melodrama but I am not loving her program as much as some others... I am not sure I would have her above Da Bin.

I am just not sold on Mihara's skating yet... her skating seems small. And that layback position! :hopelessness:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I also noticed that Maria is closer to Caro's style now. And I think Maria is actually a better performer. She should change to a different dress for her LP. The music and dress don't match.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my...just had a chance to catch up on the SP.

I kind of think Wakaba was lucky she didn't lose more points. TBH it looked like a pretty bad 3f(e) with borderline > potential. I just don't like this program for her and TBH feel she deserves way better choreo. I'm not convinced she is injured because it looked like what a skater does in warm ups when they skip an element and wait for the music to jump back into the choreo. It's too bad because I liked her more and more as last season unfolded but this SP isn't doing much for her IMO.

Please Wakababy pull a SochiMao and wow us in the free :cheer:

Masha is getting more comfortable with this program and it shows in her interpretation. Much better and she is starting to sell it. I just love this girl and how she does things her own way.

I watched a few more programs but nothing really kept me interested unfortunately.

I like Da Bin's FS way better than her SP. I'd wager an Avatar bet with anyone that she gets on the podium here :yes:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Sotskova has presence on the ice, she is an elegant skater but she hasn't got that wow factor or star quality for me. Also She has to work a lot on her speed and also her landings. For now I think Polina is the best junior lady of Russia, even I am not a fan of her skating at all, Mai Mihara has good flow, ss but overall she also lacks that sparkle ( and her layback tho :hopelessness:p) Hopefully Wakaba will have redemption skate today, so sorry for her.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Well, I have to say that I loved what Wakaba did until the mistakes happened! She looked by far the one with the best ss of all and her choreography looked definitely complex and not your usual mambo-winky [EDIT: I just discovered that this adjective doesn't seem to exist :confused:] program (even if maybe not the most suitable for her)... I actually thought she would receive a higher PCS despite the mistakes! But, again, that's just my two cents and I see that many others were not as impressed as I.
The bad part is that she didn't fix her flip problems, so her scores will always be affected by deductions there :hopelessness:

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
haha not everyday u hear Meladze music in FS :biggrin:

Diana was awesome! Happy to see another Olga Glinka program! this woman:rock:
asha is indeed mre & more comfortable in this SP!

havent expected this skate from celebrated Wakababy
Satoko is much better than Mia for me. There's something very grownup in her expression despite her looking & jumping small.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Well, I have to say that I loved what Wakaba did until the mistakes happened! She looked by far the one with the best ss of all and her choreography looked definitely complex and not your usual mambo-winky [EDIT: I just discovered that this adjective doesn't seem to exist :confused:] program (even if maybe not the most suitable for her)... I actually thought she would receive a higher PCS despite the mistakes! But, again, that's just my two cents and I see that many others were not as impressed as I.
The bad part is that she didn't fix her flip problems, so her scores will always be affected by deductions there :hopelessness:

Very glad somebody else saw what I saw! I thought she was more powerful and smoother than all the others by quite a margin. And her choreo looks more complex than last season, IMO.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just finished watching Group 5 (so only one group to go!)

Boys, but that was a rough skate from "See-ara" Hoey! I hate to say it, but when you compare her to everybody that went before her, it was right that she went straight to the bottom. :disapp:

But, as always, Ted managed to find something positive to say about her! He complimented her smile! :)

Just a pity that he doesn't know how to pronounce her name... :slink:

To be fair, Ted has an excuse. There is an American singer called Ciara (Wikipedia), and she pronounces her name the same way as Ted did ("See-ara"). But that is not the Irish pronounciation.

"Ciara" is a very common name from the Irish language. And the best way of describing how it is pronounced is to take a look at the Anglicised spelling of the name ("Kiera"), and say what you see! (i.e. "Keer-ra")

Incidentally, the same principle can be used with the male version of the name. "Ciarán" (Irish spelling) is pronounced "Kieran" (English spelling)

Ted pronounced her first name wrong, but got her surname right ("Hoo-ee"). The announcer over the PA pronounced her first name right, but got her surname wrong ("Hoy"). So, maybe we should get them to have a chat before Ciara's next GP in Zagreb! ;) :laugh:

You know, after watching Ciara, I am getting concerned. When I saw that there were 2 Juniors competing in the Irish Championships this year (Ciara Hoey and Fianait Bligh), I thought it was a good sign for the future. These 2 girls would be pushing each other on, and raising the standard higher than what Clara Peters could achieve on her own.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Now, I think it would be better if Clara didn't manage to find a partner for Pairs, and instead stuck to the Singles skating for a few more years. That way it would give the Juniors more time to get to a similar level to where Clara is now.

Either way, based on what I saw in the Linz SP, Ciara has a lot of work to do if she wants to improve Ireland's position in the Ladies figure skating.

I feel really bad for being harsh on somebody from my own island. Let's face it, it's not as if this island is coming down with figure skaters, so we need to be grateful for those that we do have! But it's better to be honest than to sugar-coat it.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: