2015 Junior Worlds Men's Short Program March 6 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2015 Junior Worlds Men's Short Program March 6

pandatours

On the Ice
Just watched Nathan Chen's skate online...it was a bit hard to get through. Is it just me or has his posture deteriorated? I'm only a casual juniors observer but I remember him being the NEXT BIG THING. Is he just having a rough season?

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Just watched Nathan Chen's skate online...it was a bit hard to get through. Is it just me or has his posture deteriorated? I'm only a casual juniors observer but I remember him being the NEXT BIG THING. Is he just having a rough season?

Injuries.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

He's dealt with a lot of injuries in the last two years. Plus he's growing.

I think he's doing OK considering those factors. I've seen other skaters struggle much more under similar circumstances.

paulusfr

On the Ice
Adian's lutz is amazing and it was underscored. I think he has all the chances for a quad lutz in the future.
What about the champs - it hurts me he willn't be able to compete for the gold because of the judging (too). Of course, Shoma has REALLY great skating skills, but the difference between him and Adian (and other skaters) isn't so big as judges's think. His GOE's are just crazy. He has 47 TES WITHOUT a quad. This is just unbelievable. I have no idea who else can get something like this in the whole world. This competition does not make a sense because the winner of this is known in advance. Even if Boyang will land all his quads, he has NO CHANCES to win. And a year later, no one will have a chance to beat him in seniors already, well maybe just 2-3 top skaters like Fernandez, Ten... It's a strange fashion on male japanese skaters: any japanese skater who reach good level will receive comparable scores.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Adian's lutz is amazing and it was underscored. I think he has all the chances for a quad lutz in the future.
What about the champs - it hurts me he willn't be able to compete for the gold because of the judging (too). Of course, Shoma has REALLY great skating skills, but the difference between him and Adian (and other skaters) isn't so big as judges's think. His GOE's are just crazy. He has 47 TES WITHOUT a quad. This is just unbelievable. I have no idea who else can get something like this in the whole world. This competition does not make a sense because the winner of this is known in advance. Even if Boyang will land all his quads, he has NO CHANCES to win. And a year later, no one will have a chance to beat him in seniors already, well maybe just 2-3 top skaters like Fernandez, Ten... It's a strange fashion on male japanese skaters: any Japanese skater who reach good level will receive comparable scores.

FWIW, Jason Brown had a TES of 45.98 without a quad at Trophee Eric Bompard last season. But he was third since he was competing against Patrick Chan and Yuruzu Hanyu. And that was with only one jumping pass in the second half (the 3F-3T was not).

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra2013/gpfra2013_Men_SP_Scores.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRznue2sI80

In fact, the total score was a mere .10 apart. (84.77 for Jason, 84.87 for Shoma).

Last edited:

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I am super tired but I will post some little comments anyway(have to leave my impression from arena somewhere)
- Shoma UNO - great flow, nice axel(though overscore IMO) but... his other jumps are sooo low...
- Adian PITKEEV - jumps were great! amazing height. but he lacks attack and looked a bit tired towards the end...
- Alexander PETROV - I looved his performance and for me it was on par with Shoma... but again, other than axel his jumps are low. and by low I mean really low...
- Boyang JIN - I am sorry, but he did nothing for me, like nothing. You want to get at least some emotion from a skater and here was none...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I think Nathan is still not recover form his injure. I think he should retire from this competition.

Honestly, I wish he hadn't come to Tallinn at all if not fully healed. But he seems to be one of those stubborn guys who refuses to quit no matter what.

I am super tired but I will post some little comments anyway(have to leave my impression from arena somewhere)
- Shoma UNO - great flow, nice axel(though overscore IMO) but... his other jumps are sooo low...
- Adian PITKEEV - jumps were great! amazing height. but he lacks attack and looked a bit tired towards the end...
- Alexander PETROV - I looved his performance and for me it was on par with Shoma... but again, other than axel his jumps are low. and by low I mean really low...
- Boyang JIN - I am sorry, but he did nothing for me, like nothing. You want to get at least some emotion from a skater and here was none...

Thank you for sharing, very interesting. I would also like to know what you thought about Deniss, if you don't mind.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
What about the champs - it hurts me he willn't be able to compete for the gold because of the judging (too). Of course, Shoma has REALLY great skating skills, but the difference between him and Adian (and other skaters) isn't so big as judges's think. His GOE's are just crazy. He has 47 TES WITHOUT a quad. This is just unbelievable. I have no idea who else can get something like this in the whole world. This competition does not make a sense because the winner of this is known in advance. Even if Boyang will land all his quads, he has NO CHANCES to win. And a year later, no one will have a chance to beat him in seniors already, well maybe just 2-3 top skaters like Fernandez, Ten... It's a strange fashion on male japanese skaters: any japanese skater who reach good level will receive comparable scores.

I get that Shomas 3A is overscored, but if you read through some of this posts, you'd feel he was an untalented little rapscallion that only leads because his oh-so-powerful federation (lol) spent all their money on getting the judges some new cars (or whatever floats their boats). There's some "he's good at that... " thrown in, but it looks as if it's only used to make the "but" afterwards seem more reasonable. Ugh.
And for this specific post... nobody will have a chance to beat Shoma in seniors next year? Give me a break... DTen beat him by 8,7 points in the SP at 4CC (while Shoma had a 4T in his SP too), he's not going to 'maybe' beat Shoma next year if he skates well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Honestly, I wish he hadn't come to Tallinn at all if not fully healed. But he seems to be one of those stubborn guys who refuses to quit no matter what.

FWIW, he is still the highest placing American (granted by not much), despite this error. I can imagine there's another U.S. man of junior age who could do better, honestly.

I get that Shomas 3A is overscored, but if you read through some of this posts, you'd feel he was an untalented little rapscallion that only leads because his oh-so-powerful federation (lol) spent all their money on getting the judges some new cars (or whatever floats their boats). There's some "he's good at that... " thrown in, but it looks as if it's only used to make the "but" afterwards seem more reasonable. Ugh.
And for this specific post... nobody will have a chance to beat Shoma in seniors next year? Give me a break... DTen beat him by 8,7 points in the SP at 4CC (while Shoma had a 4T in his SP too), he's not going to 'maybe' beat Shoma next year if he skates well.

I don't hold this view at all (as you probably know). My questioning is strictly from an academic standpoint. Like how much of the overscore can be accounted by the field he's competing in relative to the senior field he competed in just a few weeks ago.

I'm not saying the judges are consciously thinking this. But perhaps after 7 hours of skating with much of the field who can't even do a decent 2A, maybe Shoma's 3A was seen as a much superior product, hence the tendency to give him higher +GOE.

Also the obvious: If there were a different set of judges, he might have scored lower. Who knows. This is sort of the problem with COP. We're told not to compare between competitions because of differing judging/technical panels, yet key assignments (i.e. GP assignments) are based on season's bests, which are a comparative tool....among competitions. :sigh:

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
but it looks as if it's only used to make the "but" afterwards seem more reasonable. Ugh

Great point:thumbsup:

It seems like these days everyone is just trying to sell their but(ts) ;)

Last edited:

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight

Thank you for sharing, very interesting. I would also like to know what you thought about Deniss, if you don't mind.
Sorry, I was at work and managed to come after he has skated. I will tell after the FS:)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

And is it ok for people to do that to Russian ladies? They seem to get it 10x worse, from what I've observed. I mean, they all get picked apart over tenths of points whenever someone else's fave is "robbed." I can't bring myself to care that much or I wouldn't enjoy this sport at all.

Bonesfan

On the Ice
And is it ok for people to do that to Russian ladies? They seem to get it 10x worse, from what I've observed. I mean, they all get picked apart over tenths of points whenever someone else's fave is "robbed." I can't bring myself to care that much or I wouldn't enjoy this sport at all.

I thought this was the men's SP thread, not the Ladies??

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I thought this was the men's SP thread, not the Ladies??

My point is that Shoma is far from the only skater that receives OTT criticism in these threads. It's the norm. And if he was Russian I'm sure the "conspiracy!!1!" crowd would be much larger.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
I feel like Jin Boyang's SP would be amazing if it was skated by Lambiel/Takahashi/Joshua Farris or even Joubert. Like I'd totally make gifs of them shimmying to the music and saving it into a folder called 'HOT' :slink:

Flaya

Match Penalty
Here are the results in comparison to this year's best scored at an ISU competition:

1.) Shoma Uno, JPN 256.45* 1
2.) Alexander Petrov, RUS 231.67* 3
3.) Boyang Jin, CHN 221.92 5
4.) Adien Pitkeev, RUS 219.38* 2
5.) Sota Yamamoto, JPN 213.12 7
6.) Daniel Samohin, ISR 209.93* 12
7.) Nathan Chen, USA 208.93 9
8.) Jin Seo Kim, KOR 207.34* 4
9.) Alexander Samarin, RUS 196.92* 6
10.) He Zhang, CHN 196.20 11
11.) Denis Margalik, ARG 193.44* 14
12.) Roman Sadovsky, CAN 192.44 13
13.) Andrew Torgashev, USA 182.57 10
14.) Deniss Vasiljevs, LAT 181.42 8
15.) Chih-I Tsao, TPE, 178.46* 27
16.) Ivan Pavlov, UKR 177.07 21
17.) Simon Hocquaux, FRA 175.04 29
18.) Graham Newberry, GBR 174.71 23
19.) Nicolas Nadeau, CAN 172.26 25
20.) Julian Zhi JIe Yee, MAS 171.95 18
21.) Niko Ulanovsky, GER, 170.62 15
22.) Kevin Shun, USA 169.84 16
23.) Matteo Rizzo, ITA, 168.46* 20
24.) Sondre Oddvoll BOE, NOR, 164.40* 26
25.) Illya Solomin, SWE, 160.11 REPLACED
26.) Slavik Hayrapetyan, ARM 159.40 22
27.) Hiroaki Sato, JPN 156.92 17
28.) Petr Kotlark, CZE, 156.76 28
29.) Irakli Maysuradze, GEO, 155.04 24
30.) Anton Karpuk, BLR, 149.15 35
31.) Jiri Belohradsky, CZE, 140.85 39
32.) Larry Loupolover, AZE, 139.29* 33
33.) Krzysztof Gala, POL, 134.02 38
34.) Roman Galay, FIN 130.23 36
35.) James Min, AUS, 129.29 31
36.) Marco Klepoch, SVK, 119.84* 30
37.) Glebs Basins, LAT, 109.25 40

ISU SB not available:
Samuel KOPPEL, EST 37
Aleix GABARA ESP 32
Nicola TODESCHINI SUI 19
Nicky OBREYKOV SWE 34

Unfortunately, Denis Margalik ARG just barely missed the TES required to go to senior Worlds. Chih-I Tsao TPE who also hoped to go, also missed it big time. That means that the maximum number of male skaters in senior Worlds will be 31 (only!).

It is very surprising that only 1 out of 4 Canadian single skaters managed to make top 24. I cannot remember such a performance by Canadian skaters for some time. Hope all four will not get discouraged.

Last edited: