2015 NHK Pairs Short Program | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2015 NHK Pairs Short Program

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Wow!! Amazing skate :cheer: I wonder what happened at the end though! Not their usual ending pose. Maybe they're improvising their endings just like S/H :laugh:

Jin was a tiny little bit late to get to where he needed to be for the ending pose. Yu was supposed to lean into his arm which was not in the right position, so she sort of had to brake. It was good that she didn't lean against air:luv17: smart girl

Kittosuni

Medalist
Can someone justify how D/R has higher PCS than S/K and Y/J??? I get that they are attempting more difficult elements but that doesnt translate to better SS or TR or even presentations.

humbaba

Final Flight
That's twice that S/K have gotten away with a SBS hand down.

I'm curious about your choice of words. What did S/K get away with? They were penalized with negative GOE on the 3S. They got all -1 except for one -2. Do you think there should have been additional penalties? Interestingly, Eric Radford also had a hand down on the 3Lz. D/R were penalized with negative GOE on that jump--all -1 except for one -2. Same error, same penalty. Seems like consistent judging to me. Or am I missing something?

Not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to learn about how scoring works.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Scimeca/Knierim medal, then they'll possibly make it to the GPF. When was the last time an American pairs team made it to the senior GPF?

tulosai

Record Breaker
If Scimeca/Knierim medal, then they'll possibly make it to the GPF. When was the last time an American pairs team made it to the senior GPF?

And if they get 2nd they definitely make it, which isn't outside the realm of possibility...

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
very happy for B/D
I was already fawning over them last year
What a beautiful pair:luv17:

hehhhee :laugh2: keep hearing stavay, what does it meaaan?
Its 'vstavay' means 'stand on your feet':biggrin:

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
Got to remember where worlds is taking place this year. That might explain S/K's higher GOE and PCS marks here.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
TAT D/R shade - my fav moment
Hopefully more to come tomorrow:laugh::hap10:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm curious about your choice of words. What did S/K get away with? They were penalized with negative GOE on the 3S. They got all -1 except for one -2. Do you think there should have been additional penalties? Interestingly, Eric Radford also had a hand down on the 3Lz. D/R were penalized with negative GOE on that jump--all -1 except for one -2. Same error, same penalty. Seems like consistent judging to me. Or am I missing something?

Not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to learn about how scoring works.

Sorry, I should clarify... at Skate America they were leading after having a hand down in the SP (while other teams like W/W and S/B went clean) and here they had a hand down and are in 2nd. I'm not arguing with the judging, the GOE and scoring of the jumps were fine and it's not a judging error.

I'm saying, even with a SBS error, Scimeca/Knierim have still positioned themselves to win silver/gold. I would however argue that they "got away" with getting a personal best PCS score, in spite of not having a clean program (which I really dislike.... judges giving personal best PCS when errors are made and skaters have previously skated cleaner).

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
I really don't get why Scimeca/Knierim get such high PCS, I really don't. Yes they improved, but they're still are pretty average pair. They have a couple of big elements to have TES, but they have nothing to show to get such PCS. Where's intricate choreography? Difficult transitions? Clean elements? One of the judges even gave them higher mark for Skating Skills than Duhamel/Radford. In what reality? They were gifted silver at SA over Seguin/Bilodeau, and it seems there will be repeat of that here, in Japan.

Last edited:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
From the start of 2014-2015 season, D/R won everything and probably this won't change here so I just wanted to say congratulations:clap:

Olympic

On the Ice
I really don't get why Scimeca/Knierim get such high PCS, I really don't. Yes they improved, but they're still are pretty average pair. They have a couple of big elements to have TES, but they have nothing to show to get such PCS. Where's intricate choreography? Difficult transitions? Clean elements? One of the judges even gave them higher mark for Skating Skills than Duhamel/Radford. In what reality? They were gifted silver at SA over Seguin/Bilodeau, and it seems there will be repeat of that here, in Japan.

IDK. I'm not sure about the 'clean elements' comment because they had one small error. But, the judges might be awarding them PCS for skating 'big' overall, not just on a couple of elements - Their twist, throw and lift show cleanliness, explosiveness and good amplitude. Their death spiral is well executed and the pair spin was fast. Only the SBS jumps need fine-tuning, but again the mistake wasn't major.

Plus, they move faster than I've seem them ever before, they have decent lines together, and have music that seems to fit their personality which would help w/ the connection between them and the judges. I DON'T like the music, believe me, but it seems to fit and the judges are obviously agreeing.

As far as Seguin / Bilodeau, just theories, but they don't skate 'big' yet. You obviously are entitled to your opinion that S/B should have beat them at SA. But both teams get good marks, and they are close to Scimeca / Knierim as it is.

------

ETA - What do S/K need to do her to make it to the GPF?? A medal w/ D/R on the podium will do it, but are there scenarios where they get to the GPF finishing 4th? Trying to figure it out in my head, but can't :scratch2:

Last edited:

s_parks

Record Breaker
ETA - What do S/K need to do her to make it to the GPF?? A medal w/ D/R on the podium will do it, but are there scenarios where they get to the GPF finishing 4th? Trying to figure it out in my head, but can't :scratch2:

I think a fourth place would do it since they're sp score total from the two events are higher than S/B's or J/C's, unless J/C place 3rd or higher, which I can't really see happening right now.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think a fourth place would do it since they're sp score total from the two events are higher than S/B's or J/C's, unless J/C place 3rd or higher, which I can't really see happening right now.

I think 4th does it only if Y/J also don't place second or higher which would be unlikely in the event that S/K place 4th- presumably they'd be one of the pairs who rose to beat them.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I think 4th does it only if Y/J also don't place second or higher which would be unlikely in the event that S/K place 4th- presumably they'd be one of the pairs who rose to beat them.

Ah, I see. I'm still confused with all the possible scenarios. :laugh:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
IDK. I'm not sure about the 'clean elements' comment because they had one small error. But, the judges might be awarding them PCS for skating 'big' overall, not just on a couple of elements - Their twist, throw and lift show cleanliness, explosiveness and good amplitude. Their death spiral is well executed and the pair spin was fast. Only the SBS jumps need fine-tuning, but again the mistake wasn't major.

I was talking about both events, NHK and SA. They got PB in PCS for their disasterous FP in US. And I agree, some of their elements are great, but they need better programs and clean execution to receive such PCS. But you're right, just my opinion.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Ah, I see. I'm still confused with all the possible scenarios. :laugh:

This year especially it's a confusing situation. I also am at least a little confused about the possible scenarios in both pairs and dance... I feel I have a grasp of the ladies and men but the men this year are shockingly the simplest IMO and the ladies have been broken down for dummies by other posters so many times by now I am finally feeling like I'm getting it :rofl:

s_parks

Record Breaker
This year especially it's a confusing situation. I also am at least a little confused about the possible scenarios in both pairs and dance... I feel I have a grasp of the ladies and men but the men this year are shockingly the simplest IMO and the ladies have been broken down for dummies by other posters so many times by now I am finally feeling like I'm getting it :rofl:

Pairs is especially confusing, I agree. The field is so deep and this is without S/M and V/T contending for gpf spots!