2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy general discussion

Barb

Record Breaker
I haven't read your posts so I don't know how you fellow posters reacted to this, but I've just watched the Shibs' FD and I found it absolutely magnificent :love::points: Then I saw the score and I couldn't believe it (one judge gave them 9s, so at least I'm not the only one :dance:)... I think it could very well be my favourite program of theirs ever: finally something sophisticated, mature, completely different from what everyone else is doing!

I am with you but it is a program very criticized.

Country
Russia
Relatively few people watched Lombardia; it is not a Challengers series event, so of course no one talked about it.
Challengers or not, if Jason Brown, Shibs, top Russian Ladies and Pairs etc. would be at Lombardia instead of Nepela, people would be interested in Lombardia more than Nepela.

At Lombardia were only Marchei/Hotarek and Capellini/Lanotte of really high level.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I haven't read your posts so I don't know how you fellow posters reacted to this, but I've just watched the Shibs' FD and I found it absolutely magnificent :love::points: Then I saw the score and I couldn't believe it (one judge gave them 9s, so at least I'm not the only one :dance:)... I think it could very well be my favourite program of theirs ever: finally something sophisticated, mature, completely different from what everyone else is doing!

:agree:

uhh

Medalist
That is still 50 some threads in the folder.

It's 38: 10 events, 4 disciplines at 8 of them and 3 at the other two. And having it broken down a bit more would make it easier to follow than searching through a thread that is over 100 pages.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Maybe she got the times mixed up. Maybe she left the rink to be back in time and got caught in traffic. Maybe she overslept. Cut the girl a little slack I'm sure she isn't aiming to be a serial offender. Podium police :laugh2:

Agree. I didn't think it was that big a deal last season when this happened with Lipnitskaya, and in that situation, it was feasible that Lip had skipped the ceremony due to embarassment/shame/being upset and 16. So I saw it as she either forgot/fell asleep/mixed up times or at the worst, was being a little moody and immature. She paid the fine and didn't try to resist it though so I didn't think it was a huge deal. Further, Artemieva is 22 and she skated well in both programs and seemed happy with her scores so I don't think she was being a brat by missing the ceremony. Something probably just came up. If she gets fined I'm sure she'll pay it no questions asked.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That is still 50 some threads in the folder.

It's 38: 10 events, 4 disciplines at 8 of them and 3 at the other two. And having it broken down a bit more would make it easier to follow than searching through a thread that is over 100 pages.
It would be 48 threads in the folder.

10 of the very helpful threads devoted just to Videos (one per event, of course) + 38 = 48.

And I do understand that the prospect of 48 Challenger threads getting jumbled together (depending on which threads people continue to post in) is undesirable.

Meanwhile, a question for Doris:

I gather that it is not feasible for the Challenger subforum to have sub-subforums for the 10 events -- analogous to the structure of the subforum for JGPs and the one for GPs. All the TEB threads are permanently grouped together in one sub-subforum, separate from the sub-subforum for NHK, for example. And all the JGP Torun threads have their own sub-subforum, separate from the JGP Logrono sub-subforum.

But the reason why sub-subforums are not feasible for the Challenger subforum is not obvious -- at least not obvious to me :hopelessness:. Can you shed any light?​

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker

I'm sure that part of the issue is the labor involved in creating or maintaining 8-9 threads for each competition - keeping links and information updated is undoubtedly time consuming. Assuming the forum owner / Mods have no other concerns related to adding the extra threads, perhaps you and others who feel strongly about this could volunteer to take care of it for one of the upcoming events.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By the way, what is an "I spin"?

Maybe I am using an incorrect term, but I use it to refer to when a (usually ladies) skater yanks their ankle up by their head and spins. You can tell by the way that I describe it that I am not a fan:eek:hwell: I am not impressed by whatever athleticism it is supposed to demonstrate and the position is as ugly as a male butt spin. It makes me uncomfortable.:slink:

Luckily I don't watch the ladies much so I don't see it much. /rant over.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It would be 48 threads in the folder.

10 of the very helpful threads devoted just to Videos (one per event, of course) + 38 = 48.

And I do understand that the prospect of 48 Challenger threads getting jumbled together (depending on which threads people continue to post in) is undesirable.

Meanwhile, a question for Doris:

I gather that it is not feasible for the Challenger subforum to have sub-subforums for the 10 events -- analogous to the structure of the subforum for JGPs and the one for GPs. All the TEB threads are permanently grouped together in one sub-subforum, separate from the sub-subforum for NHK, for example. And all the JGP Torun threads have their own sub-subforum, separate from the JGP Logrono sub-subforum.

But the reason why sub-subforums are not feasible for the Challenger subforum is not obvious -- at least not obvious to me :hopelessness:. Can you shed any light?​

I have fielded the idea of subforums to the site owner (who would be the one creating them).

The assumption was that these events were not popular prior to being Challenger Series events (or even last year, during the first year), so hence the decision to not do subforums. It's clear there is demand, so the site owner is open to doing them. Stay tuned.

Just a general note for everyone: In the interest of not clogging up competition thread with forum stuff --- please post any thoughts on the forum structure to our Feedback thread: http://goldenskate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?17-Announcements-and-Feedback
The mods and the site owners are notified when threads are posted to that particular forum. That is not the case with this thread.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm sure that part of the issue is the labor involved in creating or maintaining 8-9 threads for each competition - keeping links and information updated is undoubtedly time consuming. Assuming the forum owner / Mods have no other concerns related to adding the extra threads, perhaps you and others who feel strongly about this could volunteer to take care of it for one of the upcoming events.

Thx, papagena :).

I know that your post was addressed to uhh, and not to me -- but I want to add that I hope that my query to Doris above did not sound as if I were taking her many efforts for granted.
I do recognize and appreciate that each all-in-one Challenger thread already is very labor-intensive for Doris. And that in the OPs for each discipline at the top of the threads, she has been including/updating all the Challenger starting orders, program music, schedules, links to results, etc. -- in similar fashion to the segment threads for JGPs and GPs.
But I can see that wrangling multiple threads per comp would create another layer of work.

Anyway, I/we can never say it enough: Thank you, Doris :bow:.

I have fielded the idea of subforums to the site owner (who would be the one creating them).

The assumption was that these events were not popular prior to being Challenger Series events (or even last year, during the first year), so hence the decision to not do subforums. It's clear there is demand, so the site owner is open to doing them. Stay tuned.

Just a general note for everyone: In the interest of not clogging up competition thread with forum stuff --- please post any thoughts on the forum structure to our Feedback thread: http://goldenskate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?17-Announcements-and-Feedback
The mods and the site owners are notified when threads are posted to that particular forum. That is not the case with this thread.

Thank you, Mrs. P :).
Totally understand that the much higher interest in Challengers this year could not have been foreseen.
Happy to stay tuned :).

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thx, papagena :).

I know that your post was addressed to uhh, and not to me -- but I want to add that I hope that my query to Doris above did not sound as if I were taking her many efforts for granted.
I do recognize and appreciate that each all-in-one Challenger thread already is very labor-intensive for Doris. And that in the OPs for each discipline at the top of the threads, she has been including/updating all the Challenger starting orders, program music, schedules, links to results, etc. -- in similar fashion to the segment threads for JGPs and GPs.
But I can see that wrangling multiple threads per comp would create another layer of work.

Anyway, I/we can never say it enough: Thank you, Doris :bow:.

Thank you, Mrs. P :).
Totally understand that the much higher interest in Challengers this year could not have been foreseen.
Happy to stay tuned :).

I didn't think there was anything at all wrong with your post - it was actually a very sensible one. I was just trying to be practical and honestly I agree that separate threads are useful. Anyway it looks like there will be a solution, which is the important thing! :)

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Not sure whether this has been discussed already. Anyone knows why Maria A. was not at the victory ceremony for her Bronze medal?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Challengers or not, if Jason Brown, Shibs, top Russian Ladies and Pairs etc. would be at Lombardia instead of Nepela, people would be interested in Lombardia more than Nepela.

At Lombardia were only Marchei/Hotarek and Capellini/Lanotte of really high level.

This is very true.

But it is also true that if Lombardia had been a Challenger's Cup event, more elite skaters would have chosen to compete there.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
WHOA WOW LOOK AT HOW AWESOME THIS IS OH MY PLUSHENCHRIST

dorispulaski is QUEEN OF THE UNIVERSE!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
WHOA WOW LOOK AT HOW AWESOME THIS IS OH MY PLUSHENCHRIST

dorispulaski is QUEEN OF THE UNIVERSE!

I know! I wanted to thank Doris too, but I didn't know where to do it. There were just to many threads / sub-fora to choose from! ;) :biggrin:

I know I've said it a number of times over the past few months, but she has really gone above and beyond the call of duty this time!

It must have taken an awful lot of hard work, time and patience to sort through all those comments in the original Ondrej Nepela thread and put them into separate threads. I honestly don't know how she managed it!

:bow: WELL DONE DORIS!!! :bow:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks, Mrs. P! How on earth did you find the time to do that? Isn't it a little soon to send Baby P. off to boarding school?

Aw, thanks!

I've sent Baby P off...to sleep. :) She usually goes to bed at 7 p.m. and I usually don't go to bed until 10 p.m., so I have a few hours to do various things. Decided to tackle this as my Monday project. :)