2015 World's Practice Reports | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015 World's Practice Reports

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Kerry - Fell on opening quad attempt (tripled iirc), then didn't attempt any other jumps in the run-through, but I saw some nice jumps afterwards. (Particularly 3A, I think). I enjoyed his performance.

Oh, thankyou! I'm glad you liked him. His deep landing knee gets him out of trouble regularly so I hope it will during the comp!

Anyone else think Amano will tear Satoko's jumps to shreds?

I hope he does. I was horrified to watch that jumpamatron video and see that she almost does a full rotation on her toepick. It would be disgraceful if someone with that poor jump technique was on the podium.

I prefer an honest caller, but given the current penalities for flutzing, I'd rather the caller was lenient with his calls. Like it's literally the base value of a spin that he could elect to deduct from a flutzer.

Nope. If it's a flutz, I want them to call it a flutz. It's the flutzer's problem, not the TS's, if they have bad technique. Not the TS's fault that they haven't fixed their flutz.

To flip it around on you: that's literally the base value of a spin that a lenient technical caller could elect to ADD to the score of someone with bad technique and give them ground on someone like Liza, who has put the hard yards in and has a correct edge on all her takeoffs.

And yes, I am painfully aware this means Brooklee is headed for an "e" on the 3Lz.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is it bad that i wish Gracie has bad practices here then finally nails it in the competition? She usually is great in practice but never seems to skate the same when it counts. She seems to leave her best on the practice ice.

Scovies

Final Flight
Her jumps are pretty small, but I went back and rewatched some video, and they're not as tiny as I thought.

That said, I will not be shocked if she gets a < or two. Or three.

No problem with that so long as the rigor is applied consistently, across all skaters in all groups.

In fact, I prefer an honest caller. It's a disservice to the better jumpers otherwise.

I have no problems with an honest caller, but too often that can turn into a caller who'll mark a jump as UR when it... really wasn't UR, or be harsh on skaters with reputations for underrotating even if what they actually perform in the competition doesn't deserve a downgrade. I'll be white-knuckling it through Satoko, Kanako, and Ashley's programs because 1) they don't always rotate their jumps, BUT 2) I've also seen them get UR calls when I don't think they were deserved. Kill it, ladies! On that same note, Polina should really consider replacing her 3F in the SP with a loop instead. She'll only lose a few tenths in base value, but I don't think it's worth risking a possible (e) call.

karne said:
I hope he does. I was horrified to watch that jumpamatron video and see that she almost does a full rotation on her toepick.

Just so I can educate myself here, what's the official stance of the ISU on how pre-rotation should be judged? I know about the 1/4-turn-on-landing rule, but not much at all about what constitutes a pre-rotated jump, and exactly how much pre-rotation is "allowed" before a jump can be marked UR.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I have no problems with an honest caller, but too often that can turn into a caller who'll mark a jump as UR when it... really wasn't UR, or be harsh on skaters with reputations for underrotating even if what they actually perform in the competition doesn't deserve a downgrade. I'll be white-knuckling it through Satoko, Kanako, and Ashley's programs because 1) they don't always rotate their jumps, BUT 2) I've also seen them get UR calls when I don't think they were deserved. Kill it, ladies! On that same note, Polina should really consider replacing her 3F in the SP with a loop instead. She'll only lose a few tenths in base value, but I don't think it's worth risking a possible (e) call.

Thinking about all the concern for Ashley, Rika, and Satoko, I had forgotten about Polina's flip...which she continues to insist is on an inside edge. :hopelessness: I think a generous tech caller would give it an !, perhaps, but now I won't be surprised at all if she receives an e instead. I'm not sure how well skaters adjust to changing jumps in programs; it might be too late to replace it with a loop, although given her stance on her flip, I don't think she would change it anyway. I agree that an e call is not worth the risk though, particularly in the SP.

I'm in favor of a strict technical caller, provided the calls are consistent, which I think Amano is. Lenient callers are unfair to the skaters who do the jumps correctly (like Liza), but callers who are strict on some ladies and ignore the flawed jumps of others are even worse. But I am concerned about Ashley receiving potentially undeserved calls simply because of her reputation.

On another note, thank you to everyone posting practice reports! They get me even more excited for the actual event!

jkun

Final Flight
I hope he does. I was horrified to watch that jumpamatron video and see that she almost does a full rotation on her toepick. It would be disgraceful if someone with that poor jump technique was on the podium.

I completely agree. Looking at her jumps in real-time, it made no sense to me that she could possibly get her rotations in with the height she gets. The jumpamatron confirmed it. She pre-rotates excessively on all her jumps. She is lucky to be able to do proper double jumps.

jkun

Final Flight
Just so I can educate myself here, what's the official stance of the ISU on how pre-rotation should be judged? I know about the 1/4-turn-on-landing rule, but not much at all about what constitutes a pre-rotated jump, and exactly how much pre-rotation is "allowed" before a jump can be marked UR.

As far as I know, there's no "official" stance. But in terms of proper technique on jumps: a toe jump of any kind should have minimal pre-rotation. You are expected to vault in the air after planting your toepick.

In terms of edge jumps: some pre-rotation is expected, because that is how an edge jump gathers the energy to propel a skater into the air.

In that respect, I'd consider any pre-rotation on a toe-jump to be counted as an under-rotation if greater than >1/4. In terms of edge jumps, I think there would have to be more leniency.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Li looks so ethereal in ice! I hope she does well...

So no one is actually sure if Radionova has practiced yet? I haven't been able to find any videos showing her on the tudou site.

NaVi

Medalist
So no one is actually sure if Radionova has practiced yet? I haven't been able to find any videos showing her on the tudou site.

AntonioThunderhunter said she was at practice today and didn't do well but I think he's making it up for many reasons.... no one mentioned her on the japanese or chinese sites, there's no photos of her from the wires, she's not in the background of the fan cams of that practice, Radionova said that she would be arriving in Shanghai about the same time as that one practice and that today would be a day of adjustment, tomorrow training, and the day after that is the competition... and also he said Pogorilaya didn't do well and the fan cam showed otherwise.

I honestly think AntonioThunderhunter is spreading FUD and shouldn't be listened to at all.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
I don't think AT is creating any rumours about Elena. The skaters do have two practice sessions so maybe Antonio stayed in the session where Elena didn't do so well whilst the other Japanese/Chinese sites are taking account of a different session.

NaVi

Medalist
I don't think AT is creating any rumours about Elena. The skaters do have two practice sessions so maybe Antonio stayed in the session where Elena didn't do so well whilst the other Japanese/Chinese sites are taking account of a different session.

No, no, no... the only session he could be talking about is the early morning session at the main rink as that's the one open to the public and that's when he made his post. There are many photos of Liza and Pogo on the wires/twitter and none of Radionova... Radionova most likely flew in early today along with Kovtun(who there is also no reports on) and Tarasova. Radionova said that she would arrive that day and it would be a day of adjustment... and all 3 of them were featured on Russian TV yesterday showing their pre-world's practice.

The only sort of "innocent" explanation possible is if he mistook one of the other skaters for Radionova and if Pogorilaya really did struggle outside of the SP run through.

Last edited:

CarneAsada

Medalist
As far as I know, there's no "official" stance. But in terms of proper technique on jumps: a toe jump of any kind should have minimal pre-rotation. You are expected to vault in the air after planting your toepick.

In terms of edge jumps: some pre-rotation is expected, because that is how an edge jump gathers the energy to propel a skater into the air.

In that respect, I'd consider any pre-rotation on a toe-jump to be counted as an under-rotation if greater than >1/4. In terms of edge jumps, I think there would have to be more leniency.
On toe loops it's when you're facing forward or past forward on takeoff. But up to 1/2 turn seems permissible. Usually there is a bit less pre-rotation on flips and even less on proper Lutzes, but I don't think they pay as much attention to pre-rotation on those. Only when it's an egregious case like Satoko, who we've seen do over 3/4 of a turn on the ice.

Seruleane

Final Flight
AntonioThunderhunter said she was at practice today and didn't do well but I think he's making it up for many reasons.... no one mentioned her on the japanese or chinese sites, there's no photos of her from the wires, she's not in the background of the fan cams of that practice, Radionova said that she would be arriving in Shanghai about the same time as that one practice and that today would be a day of adjustment, tomorrow training, and the day after that is the competition... and also he said Pogorilaya didn't do well and the fan cam showed otherwise.

I honestly think AntonioThunderhunter is spreading FUD and shouldn't be listened to at all.

Hmm, does seem suspicious, though why anyone would bother to spread lies about a skater's practice session is beyond me. In any case, I'd be happy if his/her report weren't true.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Sorry I definitely have missed something. Where is the jumpamatron video you are talking about?

Globetrotter

Medalist

While I agree that some pre-rotation is generally seen in edge jumps, I believe that strict tech callers like Shin Amano will take that into account. Asada's 3A and 3R (in her 3F-3R) often get the < although most audience disagree, which I suspect is because Amano will start counting the rotation at the actual take off after the pre-rotation. If you examine the superb axel techniques of say Han Yan or Yuzuru or Midori Ito, that forward skid and pre-rotation is really quite minimal. Mao generally does not get called for < on 3R when it is a first jump but even her 2R jumps get called for < when it is in combo. A loop jump in combo needs an almost immediate snap and up after landing the first jump (it is thus much harder than tagging a toe loop), any delay will see a significant pre-rotation and a tendency to cheat.