2015 Worlds Short Dance March 25 | Page 65 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Short Dance March 25

Alba

Record Breaker
I’m finally back and can give some thoughts about SD...Big sorry for the lenght of my post (you don't have to read it, I just have to release all these thoughts made...)

I agree with many of your points. :thumbsup:

Alba

Record Breaker
I do as well, for the same reason; however, that is not clouding me when I say that this performance should NOT be higher than the French this year!! She was practically stabbing the ice with her foot, and her posture was terrible; their edges were NOT better than the P/C. Terrible judging.

This! :thumbsup:

Their edges are the worsed of the top 6 couples. I actually think the second Italian team are better than them in that department.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Just watched (finally!) my Eurosport HD recording (grumble stupid timezone difference grumble). Am very sad about P/C, to me that was just mesmerizingly beautiful. But happy about the Americans, I really like their SD.
Just hope that the FD will see the French move up, preferably into second position... but I'll take first, too. :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I may be crucified for saying this, but I think the fact that P/C's FD is so ruthlessly memorable has led a good many people to overestimate how good a PD their SD is. It's actually pretty average in choreography, a little better than average--usually--in performance. But as I said earlier, I wouldn't rank it in the top 5 SDs of this pretty mediocre year. YMMV of course.

Alba

Record Breaker
I may be crucified for saying this, but I think the fact that P/C's FD is so ruthlessly memorable has led a good many people to overestimate how good a PD their SD is.

No, I agree with you there. I don't think is the best SD, and yes, maybe many have overestimated their SD based on their FD and them as a couple.

beabstress

On the Ice
Regarding P/C:

No, I agree with you there. I don't think is the best SD, and yes, maybe many have overestimated their SD based on their FD and them as a couple.

I probably agree, too. And I also agree with the British Eurosport commentators who think that Gabrielle and Guillaume gave the most convincing portrayal of "a man and a woman dancing," or however they put it. They have the best combination of costumes and chemistry (which aren't/shouldn't be scored per se, but which DO contribute to the overall effect).

Alba

Record Breaker
And I also agree with the British Eurosport commentators who think that Gabrielle and Guillaume gave the most convincing portrayal of "a man and a woman dancing," or however they put it. They have the best combination of costumes and chemistry (which aren't/shouldn't be scored per se, but which DO contribute to the overall effect).

It does contribute to the overall impression, performance, yes. However, costumes and chemistry is also subjective, to a certain point. I think they have a great chemistry, but IMO their chemistry comes out at their best in the FD.
Their SD is not on my top 3 list, but there is something which I like a lot about it. It has a kind of "dark" mood, if I'm making any sense.

Last edited:

beabstress

On the Ice
More on P/C:

Their SD is not on my top 3 list, but there is something which I like a lot about it. It has a kind of "dark" mood, if I'm making any sense.

Yes! That makes total sense. They create a mood different from all the others.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I just watched the performances of the top ten teams after the SD and I have to mention, that I'm surprised about a couple of things.
1. I didn't excpect Luca and Anna to do that well, I was positivley surprised, I liked their performance very much. Fierce and sharp.
2. Madison's and Evan's lead margin is kind of ridiculous. I really don't like their midline step seq and the score they get for it is ... well. Not understandable. At all. And I like the rest of the program, but the NtMiSt really destroys the whole performance for me. It looks easy and it's supposed to be level 4? I know that this is level 4 according to the rules, but I don't have to like that.
3. Maia and Alex. I didn't like their SD much this season but this performance was great. I also think that their score is hurt by the fact that they're US no2. Such a shame.

Elena and Ruslan did well today, but they looked tired. Not their best possible performance. With Kaitlyn and Andrew something was missing today, they didn't draw me in. And Gabriella and Guillaume were wonderful.

text_skate

🇺🇦
Medalist
Country
European-Union
The German Eurosport commentators liked P/C paso doble best in terms of expression, emotion, what a PD should be.

slider11

Medalist
Ok, so I am bummed at the placements from the SD I am ready to concede and go on. I'm curious how others see the order of skate for the FD. Questions to ponder: Can the Shibs make a statement by skating last in the the third group and really knock the socks off the judges? Will the Shibs take the attitude- "we'll show you we do belong!" Will the judges feel just a teeny-weeny guilty after giving Chock and Bates similar to better scores than the Shibs with twizzles in the SD? Can Weaver and Poje make a negative to a positive in skating first in the last group by just going out and skating hard and expressively and not letting nerves impact their performance? They've got the track record this year. Can Madison and Evan hold off the competition and do a technically sound FD? Their second position, I think, is an advantage for them-not too long to think about it after the warm-up. But if others can skate to their full potential Madison and Evan are vulnerable. Can Elena and Ruslan become rookies of the year (or maybe that belongs to Gabby and Guillame?) Can Papadakis and Cizeron deliver a stunning and moving performance in the FD as they have in the GP series? And, last but not least, can Anna and Luca blow all predictions and somehow bring out that veteran-savvy and win - again!!

Crystal ball results: 1. Weaver and Poje 2. Papdakis and Cizeron 3. Chock and Bates. 4. Shibs 5. Anna and Luca 6. Elena and Ruslan (I like the Russians, I just don't think they're quite ready).

kresslia

Medalist
I just watched the SD on TV and I'm, frankly, a bit disgusted with C/B's score.

Honestly, I'm losing my enthusiasm for ice dance a bit with scores like that.

CBC commentators were complaining a lot about C/B's program.

Last edited:

rosacotton

Final Flight
Ok, so I am bummed at the placements from the SD I am ready to concede and go on. I'm curious how others see the order of skate for the FD. Questions to ponder: Can the Shibs make a statement by skating last in the the third group and really knock the socks off the judges? Will the Shibs take the attitude- "we'll show you we do belong!" Will the judges feel just a teeny-weeny guilty after giving Chock and Bates similar to better scores than the Shibs with twizzles in the SD? Can Weaver and Poje make a negative to a positive in skating first in the last group by just going out and skating hard and expressively and not letting nerves impact their performance? They've got the track record this year. Can Madison and Evan hold off the competition and do a technically sound FD? Their second position, I think, is an advantage for them-not too long to think about it after the warm-up. But if others can skate to their full potential Madison and Evan are vulnerable. Can Elena and Ruslan become rookies of the year (or maybe that belongs to Gabby and Guillame?) Can Papadakis and Cizeron deliver a stunning and moving performance in the FD as they have in the GP series? And, last but not least, can Anna and Luca blow all predictions and somehow bring out that veteran-savvy and win - again!!

Crystal ball results: 1. Weaver and Poje 2. Papdakis and Cizeron 3. Chock and Bates. 4. Shibs 5. Anna and Luca 6. Elena and Ruslan (I like the Russians, I just don't think they're quite ready).

So many questions!! And I would be happy with those crystal ball results as well. The Free Dance should be exciting!

BlackPack

Medalist
Hmm, 4CC Short Dance results?

1. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA 70.38
2. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 69.65
3. Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN 68.31

I missed the 4CC.... if that's the case, I'm even more baffled. How did C&B suddenly become the V&M or D&W of ice dancing? It's like saying they're superior and untouchable in relation to everyone else, and I think all the top teams are closer in ability and talent the results show.

What's more baffling is rewarding the Shibs in 4CC and then crucifying them at Worlds, more or less putting them out of medal contention. Certainly, the Shibs should be ahead of C&L and possibly P&C and Ruslena.

Please..... I hope the Canadian Orser Curse doesn't extend to Kaitlyn and Andrew too. If they get silver again, I may just not watch skating until 2018.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I missed the 4CC.... if that's the case, I'm even more baffled. How did C&B suddenly become the V&M or D&W of ice dancing? It's like saying they're superior and untouchable in relation to everyone else...

How is this sudden? I don't know how they are superior or untouchable to everyone else? If you look at the 4CC results, C/B had a bigger lead over W/P going into the FD (compared with Worlds), but W/P still won. Scores may be inflated for most of the top teams, but placement and score differential is essentially the same... and W/P would theoretically be in a better position now than they were at 4CC.