2016 JGP St Gervais Ladies FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP St Gervais Ladies FS

gmyers

Record Breaker
How much pressure? A lot! Because if she didn't deliver, she wouldn't get second event. Russians have only 13 spots left and 9 girls to share the spots.

I totally agree! You show any vulnerability you can be replaced In a second! It's so amazing these girls don't make mistakes! So many people show potential and promise. These girls go out to a competion and really don't have major errors! It's extraordinary. Any error could mean "goodbye international competition"

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Alina deserves to win here. Maybe I am a little biased here, because I want to factor in the factor this is her first year at JGP circle, at the age of 14, and Kaori is 16, at her 4th JGP year. Not to mention that Rin is already 19yr, and in her 3rd yr competing at JGP.

Alina has never been under my radar of Russian young ladies, and she finished 9th at this year's Junior National (?). So imperfections here and there are to be expected. She has a nice presence and looks a mature performer, while Ye Lim Kim looks very junorish and unrefined. Kaori also somehow skates facing down.

Alexia is a beautiful skater, but she is not a jumper at all. Her jumps cover little distance, similar to how Christina Gao jumped. She is only 14. With growth coming, her jumps can only get worse, unless she increases her muscle power, and change her technique.

tinnychan

On the Ice
I agree Alma deserves to win here, she almost hit all the jump elements, but other girls did not. However, the back loading of jump elements in FS was just so boring.

After watching her free skating, I can only remember jump jump jump in the second half:shocked:

9 elements in the second half in 1 minute 45 seconds... 10 seconds per element:hopelessness:

gotoschool

Medalist
I liked Alina's spins, the others positions she hit in the SP and the rippons were nice looking as well. I also thought she was a good competitor. I was a lot more impressed with her skating, posture, expression, positions and landings in the SP and thought her margin of lead was fair going into the LP, but I didn't see a clear distinction in the scoring between her SP and LP, which looked to have more errors technically and to be not as graceful or under control in terms of skating skills. One of the main reasons has been mentioned which is PCS. To me, Alina was marked too high in PCS relative to the other skaters, but I think she was also marked too generously in tech. She received over 4 points higher in PCS than both Kaori and Rin even though I actually liked their skating skills and expression in the LP better, especially Kaori's.. As I was watching the LP in real time I also noticed what looked like several urs for Alina that became clearer in slow motion. First of all, the backend triple loop in the triple lutz / triple loop combo looked like a ur with a large hook and tilt on landing, yet there was no call. I do commend her for trying to do a more aestheticallly pleasing backend 3 loop though, but her scoring was too generous on this combo. Also in the 3 F / 2Lo / 2 toe combo, both the 2 Lp and the 2 toe had significant hooks on landing that looked like clear urs and the 2 toe a stiff shaky landing as well. Yet, no ur was marked and the entire combo received a +.8 GOE. That said Kaori and Rin had technical errors as well which were quite noticeable, but under the system urs are scored harshly too.

I terms of overall performances, I liked Rin Nitaya's freeskate the best with her smooth and fully extended expressive motions in and out of jumps and Alina's SP the best for her picturesque positions and rippons. But, I also really like Kaori for her combination of power, genuine expression, and grace. I do think that Alina was clearly overscored though.

Last edited:

Lipea

Final Flight
yes but some have already complain this disrupts the flow of the program, and suggests of minimizing the allowed number of jumps to be backloaded or even penalizing in transition scores. Eteri Tutberidze knows how the IJS works, that is why her students maxes out on the bonus points. Tanos galore + backloaded jumps, Medvedeva, Tsurskaya now we have Zagitova.

Zagitova has prospect but she really needs to improve her glaring skating skills weakness, also the hunched back to gain speed and pitch forward jumps. Hope she fixes this in the coming events.

Who cares what "someone" on the internets think? The rule of 10% score addition is not a secret that just Eteri knows. There is a reason why it costs more, as there is a reason why not many skaters do it. It is sport first of all, which means that technical score, being the most objective, is the most important, and determines your position as a skater, and, therefore, the level of PCS.

I liked both programs a lot, but I agree that they are yet sloppy and the performance needs to be more inspiring/connected. But it was the first competition in the season, and it is Alina's FIRST international competition. The fact that she is technically on such a high level does not mean that she is supposed to be some kind of a genius to have the whole package immediately :sarcasm:. Both the programs and the performer need time to mature and to feel comfortable. I am looking forward to her next appearances.

And no doubts, Tsurskaya is more uniquely talented; hope she comes back in her full strength after the injury.

Eteri team - wonderful job. :clapper:

shyne

Final Flight
I don't like Alina's backloaded FS program. Her second half is just jump after jump, nothing special. All I can see is that she is in a rush to finish her program. I don't have any issue with her TES, all 7 of her jumps are in the second half. But her PCS is way too high for my liking. I don't think her skating skill is anywhere near Kaori's. Only the judge from Finland acknowledged this, Mr. Pekka LESKINEN (#8 for FS, #5 for SP) gave Alina 5.5/6.0 and Kaori 7.0/7.0 for skating skills)
The Russian judge (#9 for FS, #2 for SP), Ms. Sofia KITASHEVA, gave Alina 7.5/7.75 and Kaori 6.25/6.75 for skating skills :scratch2: Giving Alina 1.25/1 point higher in ss than Kaori? I don't know if we are seeing the same competition.

Last edited:

Pracygr

On the Ice
What I find sad is the fact that there is not place for mistakes/weakness in Eteri's group: I mean... if you don't perform everything perfectly you will be set aside since a more perfect skater will take your place...
Yeah. Just like that one skater, Alina Zagitova I think was her name. She completely flunked her previous season - no clean two programs at any competition, and was immediately replaced... Oh wait!

THere must be a terrible mood in Eteri's group... I start getting how Lip used to feel :sad21:
Competition in sports: always causes terrible mood.

Lipea

Final Flight
The point of the rule is highlight distribution.

Well, this point is just your opinion, as long as it is not specified anywhere in ISU rules.

If it would be about distrubution, and having all jumps in the second half wouldn't be much harder, we would have many skaters doing it, since the rule has been there for a while.
Instead, even in SP, which has only 3 jump passes, many still do two of them in the first half, if not all three. While with other elements everyone fights hard for each decimal of a point. To have 10% advantage on all the jumps makes a big difference, look at Zagitova's impressive base value in LP. Still, Eteri's youngsters are now seem to be only skaters using this advantage.

randomfan

Record Breaker
And with only the first ISU competition of the season there's already odd scoring...

1. Alina Zagitova: TES-wise, I'll take the BV, but most of her jumps had at least slightly iffy landings that did not look good at all. GOE should have been lower for most elements. However, I have a bigger problem with her PCS this time. Honestly, both Kaori and Rin should've beaten her here. Alina's SP performance was pretty good, but her FS seemed sloppy and a bit messy, even with all the jumps landed. Having all the jumps in the second half didn't help either. She deserved to win this competition, but 194 is way too much...(also her stumble at the ending was cute :biggrin:)

2. Kaori Sakamoto: I guess Kaori's biggest weakness is that most of her jumping passes are in the first half. While Alina is better with the content, Kaori did a better job of executing what she planned out. Sadly, if other skaters in the future execute their planned content very well, Kaori will be at a disadvantage. Still, nice to see her win silver here.

3. Rin Nitaya: I really liked her dress! And it was nice to see her fight and land the jumps. Too bad about the axel though. And the judges seemed to have been more cautious with her, not giving her very high GOEs.

4. Ye Lim Kim: Seems like she was pretty nervous here for both programs. Again there were combo issues and the deductions were severe. I was really hoping that Ye Lim would make the Final this year but seeing how she did here and seeing the skaters in her next competition, I don't think that will be happening...:slink:

Last edited:

kalee

On the Ice
Final prospect

1) Zagitova: She needs to finish 4th or higher @her next one, which means her ticket is pretty much locked. Her next JGP is not determined yet.
2) Sakamoto: She needs to be 2nd or higher/ 3rd still possibility @her next one. She will face Marin, Alisa, Sofia and Mako Yamashita, who is the new Japanese girl from Machiko Yamada, @ Yokohama, Japan
3) Nitaya: She needs to win/ 2nd still possibility @her next one. Her next JGP is not determined yet.
4) Kim: She needs to win @her next one. She will face Marin, Kaori again, Alisa, Sofia and Korean American girl whose name I cannot recall right now.

Zagitova is assigned to JGP Slovenia along with Polina Tsurskaya. Even though just about everyone else is listed as a sub, she's probably done enough to keep her place there :agree2:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Zagitova is assigned to JGP Slovenia along with Polina Tsurskaya. Even though just about everyone else is listed as a sub, she's probably done enough to keep her place there :agree2:

There will be Marin Honda as well. Will not we have a trial of the junior worlds final group there?

sneakers

Match Penalty
Well, she doesn't seem to do that great with boys. All her ladies usually medalled at their JGP events, gold if possible, although silver is also ok. Boys- Pitkeev has done well to some extend, but he was never as succesful as Lipnitskaya,Medvedeva or Tsurskaya. And now Skirda has his debut and it is not that great either. Not bad, but doesn't have the consistency of Tutberidze's ladies. I don't know why thirteen year old girl can come and beat everyone, and thirteen year old boy can't do the same.

because Tutberidzes boys lacks the harder jumps like 3Axel and quads, they dont go for the harder jumps until they are around 15-16.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
What I like about Zagitova (and also Tsurskaya now that I re-watched her from last year) is that they both have the ability to do jumps right out of steps, there are no long preparation edges whatsoever. With the ways Zagitova's program was desinged this was almost emphasized - she had so little time to set up each jump...

What I keep wondering is why there is no similar advance in technical content with the ladies as with men? I mean, the female 3A was introduced back in the late 1980s only to reappear in a relatively similar fledgling manner the 2010s; in between the biggest thing has been 3+3 combos.

The envelope is now being pushed by doing the Medvedeva-Zagitova backend jumping passes to get at least a small advantage in BV which might translate to larger final TES. But why is there no push for women towards doing 3As and quads? If 11-year-old boys can do it, why not girls?

I find it hard to believe that it would depend solely on physical differences btw men and women - Midori Ito and Liza Tuktamisheva are both tiny and Mao Asada is not much bigger either... And that 11-yead old Canadian boy doing quads now does not look like a powerhouse. Boyang Jin is basically a stick figure and yet the 4Lz and everything else is there. Does it depend upon girls not being encouraged to take on more technical difficulty?

(puzzled) e

hanca

Record Breaker
because Tutberidzes boys lacks the harder jumps like 3Axel and quads, they dont go for the harder jumps until they are around 15-16.

That's not the reason. Tutberidze's girls have been super consistent. They usually don't fall (or only very, very rarely) and very rarely make a mistake. If you look at Skirda's skate yesterday, even without the harder jumps such as triple axel and quads he could be in top three if he went clean. Zagitova's score (at least the one in the SP, can't talk about her score for FS because junior men have not skated yet their FS) would do well in junior men. So it is not the lack of the harder jumps, it is their lack of consistency. Skirda can do exactly the same jumps as Zagitova and yet he is achieving much lower scores with them.

bluelutz

On the Ice

Yes, yes, I realized that after that post.
But even with the presence of Tsurskaya & Marin, it does not change the prediction that
Zagitova is most likely going to the final since all she has to do is to finish 4th or higher.
However, to predict who else will fill other five spots is impossible
as most of Russian new comers are so strong, and also some Japanese.
I like to say Tsurskaya is most likely going
because she is above everybody else if she is 100% back in her last year's shape.
Yet last year I predicted that Sima was definitely going to the final, but she totally bombed.
So I cannot say definitely or most likely to Polina especially as she just recovered from her injury.
We will see what kind of shape she is in with in a few weeks or so.
(Saying that, I still kinda believe Polina will be in the final :laugh:)