2016 World Junior Pairs SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 World Junior Pairs SP

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
14 Bianca MANACORDA / Niccolo MACII (ITA)

Music: Wild Side by Roberto Cacciapaglia

Both in aqua blue costumes

3Tw - bit low catch
3STh - scratchy hand down
2F
BoDs
PCoSp3p
4Li
StSq

Some minor errors, but overall solid. She fistpumps

SP: 27.77+22.03 = 49.80 (PB), 6/14

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well, congrats--your "children" did very well!! Nice parenting job. :agree:

Thanks. But, I'm afraid I can't take any credit for that amazing performance! It was all them!

But, what I can take credit for is the good luck message I sent about 40 minutes ago! ;) :biggrin:

(Still amazed that Martin was checking Facebook so close to them going on the ice. I would never have had that down as part of the preparations! Just shows you how down to Earth they are! ;) :biggrin: )

CaroLiza_fan

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
15 Chelsea LIU / Brian JOHNSON (USA)

Music: Tango de los Exilados by Walter Taieb and Vanessa Mae

Black dress with yellow flower bodice / black costume

BoDs
2A - she fell, maybe UR
3Tw - bit late catch
3STh
PCoSp3p
StSq
4Li

Shame about the fall

SP: 31.34+23.78-1.00 = 54.12 (PB), 5/15

Last edited:

Bumdid

Record Breaker
Yes. So glad to see Anna/Martin doing well. Can't believed I missed the first half of Junior Worlds :drama:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Liu/Johnson helps keep Team USA in the mix for three spots in 2017 with a 5th place finish, despite a fall by her. I hope they work on their SBS jumps because they can rack up the points elsewhere (the story of the top US pairs it seems).

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
great to see em doing better than I expected :points:

now I can go to bed :bed:

still rooting for team SPb aka MM in the free tho:cool:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Liu/Johnson helps keep Team USA in the mix for three spots in 2017 with a 5th place finish, despite a fall by her. I hope they work on their SBS jumps because they can rack up the points elsewhere (the story of the top US pairs it seems).

They have one more season left of eligibility for juniors as Brian will not be 21 yet by the time this season ends.

Layback11

Record Breaker
A new PB! YES!

50+ with a fall? That must've been a great PCS score! Or really good pair elements? IDK. But this puts the US in position to get three spots if nobody bombs the FS. (Same in men's, but with more room to spare.) Good for them + M/M + D/B! :cheer:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
They have one more season left of eligibility for juniors as Brian will not be 21 yet by the time this season ends.

Might be good to stay an extra season. It looks like she's grown a bit since we saw her last fall.

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Anna DUSKOVA / Martin BIDAR CZE 64.71 1 video
2 Anastasia MISHINA / Vladislav MIRZOEV RUS 59.50 2 video
3 Renata OGANESIAN / Mark BARDEI UKR 59.30 3 video
4 Ekaterina BORISOVA / Dmitry SOPOT RUS 58.56 4 video
5 Chelsea LIU / Brian JOHNSON USA 54.12 5 video
6 Bryn HOFFMAN / Bryce CHUDAK CAN 52.20 6 video
7 Bianca MANACORDA / Niccolo MACII ITA 49.80 7 video
8 Lindsay WEINSTEIN / Jacob SIMON USA 48.75 8 video
9 Justine BRASSEUR / Mathieu OSTIGUY CAN 48.08 9 video
10 Joy WEINBERG / Maximiliano FERNANDEZ USA 47.54 10 video
11 Anastasia GUBANOVA / Alexei SINTSOV RUS 45.07 11 video
12 Chloe CURTIN / Steven ADCOCK GBR 44.74 12 video
13 Hope MCLEAN / Trennt MICHAUD CAN 44.05 13 video
14 Yumeng GAO / Bowen LI CHN 42.24 14 video
15 Ekaterina KHOKHLOVA / Abish BAYTKANOV KAZ 32.36 15 video

Alex D

Record Breaker
Pairs SP, as it happened

Let´s start by saying that it was an incredible fun competition to watch, as we saw great variety and lovely story lines, which lead to several PB´s. While in theory the basic elements were very similar, as for example the triple Sal throw that was performed by everyone except Ekaterina and Abish who offered a double, the competition never felt boring and it was a joy to see, how different those elements can be placed and interpreted in the short programs, by the skaters.

Another important aspect was the relation of the skaters to each other and I said it before, the days of truck drivers in pairs skating are numbered. The guys of today, have so much more artistry to offer than their previous generation and you also need to give a lot of credit to the girls, many of them are not even 16 years old yet and still, they can offer a great expression and are not afraid to look at their partner or the audience.

That being said, there was one girl today, who was so much a lady already and she goes by the name of Joy Weinberg, :love: coming 10th with her partner Maximiliano Fernandez. The 19 years old, looks like a million dollars and will give every men in this world, soft knees if she looks at him. She has great motion in her hands, they are a part of the choreography and it´s not less good by the "knife throwing" Max either, who hopefully does not practice his knife throwing skills, with the beautiful Joy in the target zone.
Full on target were both skaters with great presence and in character skating, combined with her amazing ability to skate with her partner, but at the same time with you in the audience – a really nice US American pair.

They don´t have the levels yet and no double Axel side by side, but for a pair in it´s first season together, an amazing level of artistry, huge expression and presence on the ice. Jim Peterson is the mastermind behind these two, coach and choreographer in one person!

Currently leading with 64.71 are Anna Duskova and Martin Bidar. For me, they have excelled everything they did so far! :thumbsup: If you consider how shaky they were a few months ago, I would have never guessed that they would have a shot on the medals and now they are about five points in front of Anastasia Mishina and Vladislav Mirzoev with 59.50 points.
Both pairs, did the exact same program, based on their elements, but the Czech managed to grab that level four for their steps, while the Russians only got a level three there. In general, seeing both pairs is a real joy for me, as the so called "strong male part" is present, but you also have the girl with all her beauty and the smiles and together they create something super amazing. So different and yet, so equal!

The Bolero of Anastasia and Vladislav is for me, one of the best I have seen in the past 10 years. It´s a different type of Bolero than for instance of Caroline, yet not less good! The elements are perfectly on beat, like their hop after the lift, or the turns and arm movements in their step sequence. What she does with her right hand on the back at the throws is so unique and so is what she does with her shoulders and elbows, it just looks really good to me and not lose at all with strong posture and a very charming expression. I love how the 14 years old always pulls out the smartphone after her skates, maybe checking the reports here at Goldenskate. ;) :scratch2:

As for Anna and Martin, they absolutely skate at the limits for me. Limits, in regards of what you can gain and perform as a juniors pair. As example, they skate very close to each other and at the edge of the ice, they are very well aligned and find each others hands flawlessly while going in hold. If you look at their lift, look how he puts her on the ice, sideways, behind his back! Both are so close to the end of the ice there and he even dares, to not look at what he is doing with her and yet, it´s super soft and gracious.
These two have improved most of all junior pairs that I saw this season, not just because of their current first position, but the whole program looks ace to me. They are indeed super talented and admired by the senior couples. Well balanced and present, huge smiles and difficult entries and exits make this sympathetic pair from Prague so charming and it shows, that you can achieve a lot with strong will and confidence, it´s not all about the money, but so much more about the heart! I am sure that they can play a role in future, also at senior level.

Third came our race drivers from the Ukraine, Renata Oganesian and Mark Bardei with 59.30 points. Personally, I think that both the Russians and Ukrainian's suffered a little bit, for their starting number, something that reflects in their PC´s and again, it´s unnecessary if you ask me. That being said, both pairs lost out also in TES.

As for Renata and Mark, their twist is breathtaking, the best we saw today and I so love their outfits, great in character and a super landing by her at the Sal Throw too, full of confidence, making it look so easy. In general, their program was performed really on top today, the super high risk stuff, at the more energetic first phrase of the soundtrack and the pair spin, perfectly placed at the more quieter piece of music, making space for the last acceleration and their no touch sequence. Said step sequence, offered great distance travelled, good use of the more uplifting part of music too, but sadly it was just a level one today, which cost them the second place and a closer gap to the Czech couple.

I don´t know about you guys, but I am so looking forward to the free skates. We are going to have vampires, sexy ladies and strong men – what else do we want?

Last but not least a small shout out to all the other pairs, especially Anastasia Gubanova & Alexey Sintsov who only came 11th with a not so good performance today. I don´t want to call it a disaster, but ya... it was definitely not what they are capable of, about 10 points behind their PB, errors like the catch on the twizzle, the fall by him during the step sequence, were very costly today. Still, these two are so young, don´t take it too hard, such things just happen and there will be many more skates in future and the free is a chance to prove, that this 11th spot, is not where you guys belong!

Thanks to all the skaters for their performances, until the free! :biggrin:

Protocols:

Starting Order for Free Skate @ 19.00 CET

StN.
Name
Nation
Rank
Ekaterina KHOKHLOVA / Abish BAYTKANOV

KAZ
Yumeng GAO / Bowen LI

CHN
Hope MCLEAN / Trennt MICHAUD

CAN
Warm-Up Group 2
Joy WEINBERG / Maximiliano FERNANDEZ

USA
Chloe CURTIN / Steven ADCOCK

GBR
Anastasia GUBANOVA / Alexei SINTSOV

RUS
Justine BRASSEUR / Mathieu OSTIGUY

CAN
Warm-Up Group 3
Lindsay WEINSTEIN / Jacob SIMON

USA
Bryn HOFFMAN / Bryce CHUDAK

CAN
Chelsea LIU / Brian JOHNSON

USA
Bianca MANACORDA / Niccolo MACII

ITA
Warm-Up Group 4
Anastasia MISHINA / Vladislav MIRZOEV

RUS
Anna DUSKOVA / Martin BIDAR

CZE
Ekaterina BORISOVA / Dmitry SOPOT

RUS
Renata OGANESIAN / Mark BARDEI

UKR

Last edited:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
A well deserved first place for the Czech. They are in a very strong position going into the free with a 5+point lead. I feel that M/M were marked a little harshly on both the GOE and PCS. I like this programme from them, it's a different bolero but it certainly stands out (possibly a little similar to S/K from 11/12). The Ukrainians probably gave my favourite performance, this programme works for them, real power and attack. They could have got 60+ but the only had a L1 for the steps. I thought B/S were going to be further back after their fall but they are very much in touch and not out of the medal hunt but they can afford no mistakes in the free. Apart from the fall on the 2A it was a strong performance.

Of the others I enjoyed L/J in 5th although I didn't think they look overly happy in the K&C. I was disappointed with G/S there was too many errors in the programme, she was ur on the 2F, he fell on the steps and the 3TW was messy.

I think it is the Czechs to lose now. They have a nice cushion but the others will put them under pressure. Looking forward to the free, hopefully everyone skates their best.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I've watched 5 pairs including the leaders- I mostly enjoyed Bolero by Mishina and Mirzoev. I saw them for the first time and I felt a strong male lead in that pair, had to check if he had skated as a single- and yes he did, lots of personality and presence on the ice. And I love that he's artistic and is pushing his partner to keep the same rhythm as he does. Hope they progress. And he's such a good looking young man and is clearly enjoying the skating. I love to see people who skate with joy you know. It's really hard to be excited about a new talent when they enter the ice with so much sorrow on their faces as if they'd rather cut the grass on a sweep somewhere in Jersey. And Vladislav wore a black costume, black- and looked so chick in it, I mean- most look meh but he looked very cool. :biggrin::luv17:

Country
Russia