2017 JPG Croatia Cup Ladies FS | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2017 JPG Croatia Cup Ladies FS

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Huh, surprising. I'm the only one who thought You Young's FS was quite empty and was actually judged fairly? It's so surprising to me seeing so much praise for it. Most of the time it's element -> circling -> element -> circling.
it was really empty..
agree

breadstal

Record Breaker
Young got 3Z and 3F <. I agree with the 3Z, surprised about the 3F. And a lot of lost points on spins.

People are praising the performance and her engagement with the audience. She'll learn the transitions and other stuff. Listen to Ted...he LOVED that program because she was engaging and fun to watch. That still matters in this sport.

That 3F was almost there, ugh but yeah underotated a bit :/ I agree it was interesting program and yes, not technically the most difficult but still enjoyable :agree:

tjb

Match Penalty
who is you young choreographer, lori? if so, why can't she choreograph for her at least level 3 StSq? this steps are awful, both in the short and in the long

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Anastasia Tarakanova had three falls, barely managing to stay on the podium. I think she got tense after failing the first jump and she could not recover from that. Her FP score was 30 points below her personal best. This is just like what happened to Yuzuru Hanyu at the Autumn Classic in Canada.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
who is you young choreographer, lori? if so, why can't she choreograph for her at least level 3 StSq? this steps are awful, both in the short and in the long

Shae-Lynn Bourne.

I doubt that it was choreographed as a level 2. Everything is choreographed for level 4 (or level 3), it's a matter if you execute. I expect she'll work on those steps for her next JGP.

Last edited:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
That was a great skate from Sofia. I'm delighted for her and Mishin. Nice to see a non Eteri skater win for Russia. I thought she was a little undermarked in PCS but she still was a clear winner. I guess that guarantees her a 2nd JGP. Danil was very supportive to a clearly disappointed Tarakanova, she was quite composed on the podium and seemed genuinely happy for her teammate.

Ender

Match Penalty
That was a great skate from Sofia. I'm delighted for her and Mishin. Nice to see a non Eteri skater win for Russia. I thought she was a little undermarked in PCS but she still was a clear winner. I guess that guarantees her a 2nd JGP. Danil was very supportive to a clearly disappointed Tarakanova, she was quite composed on the podium and seemed genuinely happy for her teammate.
Sambo girls often fall in their second JGP or GP assignment. Last year was the same for Zagitova and Medvedeva. I guess they will be ok by JGPF.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Young got 3Z and 3F <. I agree with the 3Z, surprised about the 3F. And a lot of lost points on spins.

People are praising the performance and her engagement with the audience. She'll learn the transitions and other stuff. Listen to Ted...he LOVED that program because she was engaging and fun to watch. That still matters in this sport.

:yes: I absolutely love good transitions and packed programs are super difficult and should be rewarded of course, but it doesn't mean it's the only thing skaters deserve praise for. Young has a lot of talent and great potential, and a lot of time to work on those things as well. She has a good team when it comes to these as well, I'm sure she'll be just fine!

Regarding the scores, I can see her < calls (especially the lutz), but I still think by comparison with the others she was called stricter. Makos 2nd 3Lz and her 3T after the 2A were URed as well, but she didn't get either call. Kind of like in the SP, when Young was called on her flip edge and Mako was not. Well, gotta rack up that reputation I guess.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Sambo girls often fall in their second JGP or GP assignment. Last year was the same for Zagitova and Medvedeva. I guess they will be ok by JGPF.

Too much expectations on them i would say. And they put a lot of pressure on themselves because of that

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:yes: I absolutely love good transitions and packed programs are super difficult and should be rewarded of course, but it doesn't mean it's the only thing skaters deserve praise for. Young has a lot of talent and great potential, and a lot of time to work on those things as well. She has a good team when it comes to these as well, I'm sure she'll be just fine!

Yeah, I didn't realize she was with B. Orser's team now! I think she actually has really nice pop on her jumps but just needs a bit more efficiency in her rotations. And considering her growth spurt -- I almost didn't recognize her in the SP -- she did pretty well here.

Myslitel

On the Ice
I was checking out how Samodurova has been doing in the Russia cup this season and she's been to two events... scores 199.99 and 199.96. That's pretty brutal.

In fact it was not Russian Сup - it was Saint-Petersburgh Cup (yes, both times). Different judging. Only St-Pb skaters - judges are more generous. Sometimes even overly.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Just checked the results and found Tarakanova had a meltdown. Is it possible she won't make to the JGPF?

moriel

Record Breaker
Just checked the results and found Tarakanova had a meltdown. Is it possible she won't make to the JGPF?

She made the final, even with a meltdown.
Also, not sure if its a meltdown - i still need to re-watch, but it looked like she hit her head on the first fall, and things derailed after that.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Sofia Samodurova -> so happy for her! last season she was a little wuzrobbed at JGP Japan and finished off the podium and after that competition her scores in Russia went lower and lower because she wasn't considered a top skater anymore, despite she was still delivering clean performances most of the time. This event was her chance to make a statement and she did when others failed. Enjoyed the program, she is still jumping like Satoko: tiny and just about fully rotated.

Mako Yamashita -> Not her best program, she could have attached a 3T somewhere and maybe even win this competiton, some costly mistake here and there, but i like her style, madame butterfly beautiful but overused in Japan. The reactions from her coach are so funny

Anastasia Tarakanova -> definitely not her day, she is a human after all. Hard fall right at the start, and then she tried to come back with the 3-3 but fall even there and at that moment the confidence was gone. Still bronze medal so most likely she will go at the finals.

You Young -> Many people said that she is the next Yuna but based on what i've seen here, Eunsoo Lim is much stronger than her. Nice personality she was having fun but the steps sequence was empty, and her skating skills aren't great. Good fight on all the jumps, but there were underrotations (i wonder if these pants affect the jumps) and missed the 3T in the second combo.

Kara

Final Flight
Well I was pretty shocked to wake up and see those results..:slink: Just gotta say Korean girls and their legendary lost spin levels!!! If Young had gotten more levels on them she would have gotten bronze. Wake up call yo. And I want to complain about the tech panel. I feel they were harsher on YY and the other skaters more than the top 3 from SP. A call on YY's 3F which in slow-mo I can see, but no call on Mako's underrotated 3T on her 2A-3T combo?:disapp: Not to mention the last 2T on her 3lo-2t-2t combo. I'm not scrambling for calls to make YY win the bronze because I think YY lost it from the moment she missed her combo in the SP along with the lost levels everywhere, but it's frustrating to see.

YY - "Gotta love those pirates". Oh Ted.:laugh: Good job girl! I'm not sure how I feel about the pants.:think: I prefer the skirt though I know it's more "pirate" like this way. I don't believe Shae-lynn would choreograph a step 2 step sequence, so I'm sure she just has to work on her stamina and brush up everything. The spin levels though lmaooo. Sit spins are just not good and got even worse after she grew so much. I LOVE Pirates of the Caribbean so the sword fighting really made me happy and I'm excited to see the program develop.:love: She's fun and interacts with the audience which I love. Seriously needs to tighten air position though, but I'm sure the crew at the Cricket club will help her slowly with that.:agree:

Mako - Yeah I'm not feeling this program either. She's such a sweet girl and you can tell that so easily from the moment she ends her programs and her reactions in the K&C, but I just cannot like the packaging her team has given her this year.:mad: It's a pity that she couldn't add even a 2T to the 2nd lutz to prevent zayacking. Also please be kind to your knees. At least she finally got higher than a bronze though. It must have been frustrating to keep putting out scores over 180 but stuck with bronze every time.

Tarakanova - Oh god poor girl.:sad21: Feels like I jinxed her though I know it must have been the nerves. Everyone needs a meltdown every now and then, but she'll come back strong. The first fall looked so painful that I'm not surprised the rest of the program went haywire especially as she loosened up her air positions and had that leg sticking out so much..She's pretty much made it to the final though so hoping for glorious miss free revenge programs there!:hap10:

Sofia - I really enjoy her skating! The Eteri girls winning streak has been broken...by another Russian girl!:laugh: She saw the opportunity and took it. Not the biggest fan of her tano arm, but she got everything down and is the rightful winner of this event and the highlight of it for me.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
:yahoo::yahoo::dance::bow::party2:

Lol no smiley can express My joy:cheer2:
SPb showed em!!!!!
& team Mishin!
& justice actually exists! After that Japan Jgp & constant wins by Eteri skaters she made it!!!!!
What a great result & skating
Ofc congrats to other gals as well:giveup:

Really hard for me to root for any Korean skater bc of their YouTube fans but I'm a huge POTC fan so coulnt help but loooved YY prog!:biggrin:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Even though I’m not a big fan of Sofia’s style, I still find myself rooting for her, especially because of how unlucky she was last year. She ended up 4th at JGP Yokohama with a score that would’ve given her a silver at a couple of other events. So she wasn’t given a second assignment at all. So congrats to Sofia for rising on the occasion and earning a well-deserved gold! :clap:

So glad to see Mako finally win something higher than bronze. I know that her chances her very slim, but it would be nice to see her at the final.

It was sad to see Anastasia so nervous and do poorly in her FS. She’s still guaranteed for the final though, so I hope that she can bounce back from this disappointment and do well at the final. You can do it! :cheer:

I think Young You had a small case for bronze, but more than that I’m just relieved that her FS was better than her SP. Even though she probably won’t get into the final anyway, I hope that she can have even stronger performances at her next event and stand on the podium!