2017 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Men FS | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Men FS

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
That was simply BAD. I mean, seriosuly? What kind of choreo is this? And the music cuts? And on top of that undeperforming... Ugh. Well, I've would have changed the program if I were Lord Samarin.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
That was nice one, Sergei!

Glad both Mika and Sergei will podium :hap10:

whatif

Medalist
So, without those 4s falls and lz error, Kolyada would have gotten to almost 200 in FS? your are getting there, boy.
I am happy for Kerry. Always nice to see a non-traditional skating country winning medals.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
So pleased that Mikhail came back from his disastrous short, that Sergei showed his determination to be relevant for the Russian Olympic team, and that Brendan medalled in back to back competitions (lol, maybe Ricky's a good luck charm?:laugh:). Sad for Grant because that's a beautiful program for him, but hopefully he'll skate it to perfection by Nationals.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
WOOHOO! Two medals in two weeks! Yaaaaaaaaaay Brendan!

Team Australia is in your competitions, WINNING YOUR MEDALS, TAKING OVER THE WORLD

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Looks like Kolyada is Russia's main hope to compete with Canada for the team Gold in men. If he is on and lands his quads including 4Lz in both SP and LP he may be higher than Chan (he already was once). The only other hope is Aliev. He improved a lot artistically - he was the best guy in Sochi. But he is untested yet. And his 5 quad ambition may not materialize - he had big stamina issues.

I would think that Mikha has very few chances against Hanyu, Shoma, Javi, and Nathan. Getting ahead of Patrick and Boyang will be a big challenge as well. Then individual podium seems out of reach and focusing on the team event looks like the best strategy for him and his team. I mean: get to the peak form before the team event. Give it all that you have there. And show whatever is left during the individual event.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haven't been able to watch any of the competition but stopped by to see the results. Congrats to all medalists. Especially happy for Mika's comeback, hooray for Gramps Voronov, and thrilled to death for Brendan! Two weeks in a row for Brendan. Awesome! :clapper:

Tulipstar

Medalist
I was in the audience and Nadeau had great presence. Even in the warm up, he drew my attention. It was great to most of the last two groups especially, despite the falls, though with the two Japanese guys it kind of overwhelmed their programs. Felt sorry for them.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I was in the audience and Nadeau had great presence. Even in the warm up, he drew my attention. It was great to most of the last two groups especially, despite the falls, though with the two Japanese guys it kind of overwhelmed their programs. Felt sorry for them.

After Mikhail's tepid Elvis program I really missed Nic's even more. I'm sorry, but one little hip swivel does not an Elvis program make. If you aren't going to get into the character, why bother? His PCS was way too high. Fine, he got the 4Lz at last. Great. But the choreo is a mess (and it looks v. similar to the last 2 LPs...where is Elvis?) Plus 2 falls...and it's like everyone already forgot how badly he did in the SP. I guess all is forgiven if you can do a 4Lz.

Then I watched Samarin and I cannot for the life of me figure out how he got 74 PCS? For that absolute trash? It might even be worse than Petrov's' SP.

Sergei's choreo is not quite there either, some parts looked like he was behind the music, but at least he committed to it and wasn't falling all over the place like most others here. He and Brendan both competed 2 weeks back-to-back, and Sergei wasn't even supposed to be here, so it's a real testament to his character that he was able to show up and outperform almost everyone else.

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
After Mikhail's tepid Elvis program I really missed Nic's even more. I'm sorry, but one little hip swivel does not an Elvis program make. If you aren't going to get into the character, why bother? His PCS was way too high. Fine, he got the 4Lz at last. Great. But the choreo is a mess (and it looks v. similar to the last 2 LPs...where is Elvis?) Plus 2 falls...and it's like everyone already forgot how badly he did in the SP. I guess all is forgiven if you can do a 4Lz.

Then I watched Samarin and I cannot for the life of me figure out how he got 74 PCS? For that absolute trash? It might even be worse than Petrov's' SP.

Sergei's choreo is not quite there either, some parts looked like he was behind the music, but at least he committed to it and wasn't falling all over the place like most others here. He and Brendan both competed 2 weeks back-to-back, and Sergei wasn't even supposed to be here, so it's a real testament to his character that he was able to show up and outperform almost everyone else.

I'm a big fan of Sergei as well, but with all due respect I do not share your view of Mikhail's skating, his program, or his score. In terms of his elements, he did not just do the quad Lutz -- he also did two big triple axels, one in combination and one in the back half, and a triple lutz half loop triple sal again in the back half, and he received level 4s for all his spins and his footwork sequence. As I understand it, the technical elements do influence the component scores. Also, while this may not be the program I would've chosen for him, I personally find his skating and performance style to be very engaging, exciting, and somewhat unique, so I can appreciate his programs on an emotional level even if I wouldn't run out and buy the cd. I wouldn't be surprised if most fans felt that way about their favorite skaters. So, rather than finding it tepid, I found lots to admire in Mikhail's fs performance, not the least of which is the stamina required to see this very high energy program through to the end. So it all comes down to personal preference, taste, etc. You're entitled to your view of Kolyada, of course, but I do not share it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I think the 4Z definitely added to his PCS stock, but I'm actually surprised he didn't score higher given the Russian fed's stock in him. 2 falls and a 3Z error though and getting 85.9 PCS is still a bit too high, but not egregiously so. Very good on him for finally landing it though - hopefully that adds some confidence.

Samarin on the other hand... yeah... :slink:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
234.07 and second place for Voronov

I thought it was finished. I forgot about Grant!!
That's the problem. Everyone forgets about Grant. He always gets lost in the American shuffle between the well rounded Adam, the fierce Max, the popular boy Jason and the IT jumper Nathan and the up and comer Vincent add to that the fan crazy or obseseed Josh and Ross. Poor Grant gets lost kind of like his fiancee Zhang :(