2017 Wild Rose Invitational | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Wild Rose Invitational

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Was Aislinn's music from Cirque du Soleil? The singing voice sounds familiar.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I think Kaetlyin should change her costume in a more appropriate one to either black or white swan, a fluffy tutu maybe. The choreography could be a little changed. It looks too much like La Boheme.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Final standings:

1. Kaetlyn Osmond 196.87
2. Larkyn Austman 162.38
3. Aislinn Ganci 131.86
4. Jane Gray 131.36
5. Deidre Russell 128.26
6. Nicole Joe 115.51
7. Isabella Bardua 103.55
8. Mackenzie Wavryk 86.47

TGee

Record Breaker
what level is gold women? is this competitional?

Gold is the highest test level for each discipline, but it's also the highest level in the STARSkate recreational event stream.

Once skaters are through the STAR 5 test, they either track over to the competitive stream at pre-Juvenile or move up the recreational stream from STAR 6-10 and Gold under the renewed STARSkate system that rolled out this past year.

However, skaters can cross back and forth between the two streams. And some pairs and dance skaters in the competitive stream carry on participating in events as singles in the recreational stream if they aren't able to dedicate the training time to two competitive disciplines.

Here's the most recent content table for STAR 1 to Gold posted by Skate Canada: https://info.skatecanada.ca/hc/en-c...-STAR-1-GOLD-Content-Overview-DRAFT-May-2017-

Heisenberg

Rinkside
Does anybody know what Dawson Nodwell scored in the Junior Men's Long Program earlier today? My live feed cut out just before his marks were announced. Also, could someone confirm that Eric Liu scored 121 something in his Long today. The announcer's voice was a bit garbled and this is what I thought I heard, however, based on his shaky and slow performance, his announced points seemed incredibly high for what he did today. Thanks.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
^^ the archives are up for the entire Jr Men FS event now. You can go back and watch it. I found that the marks were inflated for what I was seeing but Nodwell total was something like 158.xx(?) with significant errors and Liu's total was over 190.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I am quite familiar with Star skate but I thought competitions for recreational levels never mix with the "professionals". It looks I was wrong.
But i have a question. Aren't pre novice or novice levels limited to age 14 ? So, if you are 16-17 in Star skate and want to jump to competition level you need to reach levels for junior skating?

Ps I managed to find out the age limit (16y.o. for pre-novice and 17 for novice), and you need Gold test passed to jump to novice or juniors

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Kaetlyn has two good vehicles to show power and grace. Bravo... Yes, the LP could differ a bit more from last year's LP but why risk it this year? The SP is very different already. The LP keeps the same layout as last year but the double axel which i suppose will be in combo is at the very end after the step and choreo seq. I love the costume's details and that Kaetlyn is not overbirding the LP. Considering she doubled a flip, left out a 3 jump combo and simplified the first combo, she still has room to grow but we have to look at the real positives in here... she already had 5 good triples in here, one of each kind. She needed 6 for worlds silver. Her 3loop looks very good so I am thrilled about that... anyways.. just a few random thoughts here... go K.O.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Protocols for the Senior Women LP: http://skateabnwtnun.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2017WRSeniorWomenFP2DRO.pdf

Does anybody know what Dawson Nodwell scored in the Junior Men's Long Program earlier today? My live feed cut out just before his marks were announced. Also, could someone confirm that Eric Liu scored 121 something in his Long today.

You can look at the Junior Men LP protocols here: http://skateabnwtnun.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2017WRJuniorMenFP2DRO-1.pdf

And in case you might want it, here's the Junior Men SP: http://skateabnwtnun.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/2017WRJuniorMenSP1DRO.pdf

TGee

Record Breaker
I am quite familiar with Star skate but I thought competitions for recreational levels never mix with the "professionals". It looks I was wrong.
But i have a question. Aren't pre novice or novice levels limited to age 14 ? So, if you are 16-17 in Star skate and want to jump to competition level you need to reach levels for junior skating?

Ps I managed to find out the age limit (16y.o. for pre-novice and 17 for novice), and you need Gold test passed to jump to novice or juniors

Skate Canada events are actually now usually a mix of competitive and STARSkate events, with the exception of provincial STARSkate Championships on one side and Challenge and nationals on the other.

Minto Summer Skate was an exception among the summer competitions in not having STAR 7-10 and Gold recreational events. This was due to the large volume of registered participants from pre-Juvenile to Senior on the competitive side that had to be accommodated as part of the National Summer Series. Wild Rose is more typical.

On the age break question, Skate Canada has moved as far as it can towards a biological or developmental age framework and away from strict age cut offs. The LATD model adopted a few years ago states that the approach is to have skaters progress in relation to biological age to the extent possible within ISU requirements. Sport Canada has required all the national federations that it funds to realign their programs based on sports science and the science of physical and psychological development in children and adolescents.

What this means on one hand is that for skaters who go through their growth spurt and puberty late, there is less pressure to advance just to meet an an age cut off based on average development timing. On the other hand, it pushes coaches and skaters to advance skating specific skills [such as jumps] earlier in girls who are likely to go through puberty younger.