2017 Worlds on-site reports | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds on-site reports

Eclair

Medalist
so how was the men's sp live? Even watching at home it felt like an incredible competition! Anyone wants to share his/her thoughts on that? :)

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I think we will get two Mononoke Himes this FS. The other one has a better music cut and definitely a better costume!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
so how was the men's sp live? Even watching at home it felt like an incredible competition! Anyone wants to share his/her thoughts on that? :)

Crazy!!!! Especially Boyang doing his shoulder shimmy thing right in front of me and Hanyu playing to this part of the crowd, well, that really is quite an experience. Plus everbody was just So Good, it felt completely surreal!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Crazy!!!! Especially Boyang doing his shoulder shimmy thing right in front of me and Hanyu playing to this part of the crowd, well, that really is quite an experience. Plus everbody was just So Good, it felt completely surreal!

Did you like Brendan?

Pamigena

Record Breaker
It was nuts. There were so many amazing skates. I spent half the time wondering if I just had some kind of bizarre fever dream or if someone had spiked my cookies because I had not expected any of this. Especially since practices didn't go particular well for some of the guys and I saw a lot of frustrated eye rolling, and then they go out and do that. Total insanity. Crowd went bonkers again and again.

da96103

Record Breaker

Did he strike your heart with his web?

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Apropos nothing: there are way too many hot skaters around for it to be appropriate to keep playing a song that goes "I'm in love with the shape of you, I'm in love with your body" :biggrin:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Apropos nothing: there are way too many hot skaters around for it to be appropriate to keep playing a song that goes "I'm in love with the shape of you, I'm in love with your body" :biggrin:

They play that song a lot. Door lady still seems unimpressed by all the gorgeous people, haha.

TMC

Record Breaker

I know!!! I was at the practice rink today and the sight of some of those guys in their tights is enough to give one palpitations :D

sallycinnamon

Medalist
The first rows were full of Japanese fans, I really felt like I was watching NHK Trophy instead of Worlds in Europe. :)

Anyway it was a rollercoaster of emotions to me. I don't think I have ever seen a men's event with so many great performances. There were many standing ovations! I really liked Denis Ten's, Deniss Vasiljevs', Mikhail Kolyada's, Moris Kvitelashvili's, Michal Brezina's, Misha Ge's performances, to name a few.

There were lots of others who also skated new personal/seasons bests and who can be very proud of themselves (Jinseo Kim, for example). Fernandez, Jin, Chan or Uno skated their short programs of their lives, they delivered under pressure.

I didn't like Chen's SP though.. I think his short is still better than his FS, but I don't like his programs or his skating style. I thought his sp would look better live than in the TV, but I was wrong - his style is not really nice imo and not pleasant to watch, he skates without any ease. I felt he rushed through the elements but can't feel the connection to the music (really sorry to write this but I had this impression).
Uno or Chan skated beautifully (Patrick's SS are to die for..), Javi performed this very well choreographed Malaguena really great and with very good musicality.

To me my dream came true that I saw Hanyu and his Let's Go Crazy in person. It was an amazing performance and the audience went totally crazy during and after the program for every good reason. He is able to reach the audience like no one other skater. I feel very happy and lucky that I saw this performance live.

I'd rather not talk about his 4S combo and deductions now though.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
The first rows were full of Japanese fans, I really felt like I was watching NHK Trophy instead of Worlds in Europe. :)

Anyway it was a rollercoaster of emotions to me. I don't think I have ever seen a men's event with so many great performances. There were many standing ovations! I really liked Denis Ten's, Deniss Vasiljevs', Mikhail Kolyada's, Moris Kvitelashvili's, Michal Brezina's, Misha Ge's performances, to name a few.

There were lots of others who also skated new personal/seasons bests and who can be very proud of themselves (Jinseo Kim, for example). Fernandez, Jin, Chan or Uno skated their short programs of their lives, they delivered under pressure.

I didn't like Chen's SP though.. I think his short is still better than his FS, but I don't like his programs or his skating style. I thought his sp would look better live than in the TV, but I was wrong - his style is not really nice imo and not pleasant to watch, he skates without any ease. I felt he rushed through the elements but can't feel the connection to the music (really sorry to write this but I had this impression).
Uno or Chan skated beautifully (Patrick's SS are to die for..), Javi performed this very well choreographed Malaguena really great and with very good musicality.

To me my dream came true that I saw Hanyu and his Let's Go Crazy in person. It was an amazing performance and the audience went totally crazy during and after the program for every good reason. He is able to reach the audience like no one other skater. I feel very happy and lucky that I saw this performance live.

I'd rather not talk about his 4S combo and deductions now though.

Then tell us about Daisuke looking suave! ;)

And Winnie, I think I spotted you! (No, I'm not a stalker)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
What a night. Great performances by so many ladies. Uplifted by Mai's redemption skate... wept tears for Anna... sad for Rika, Wakaba, Ivett... Evgenia hit it out of the park as usual... Karen, Gabby and Kaetlyn were awesome... Dabin made the top ten and earned 2 places for the Korean ladies at their home Olympics... awesome competition...

And here's a few photos from yesterday, a bit off the beaten track...

Kiira Korpi and Tatiana Tarasova

Phillipe Candeloro

Simon Reed and Chris Howarth

seniorita

Record Breaker
Awesome competition, I love the audience so much, so supportive! I really like Karen Chen and Wakaba from newbies and I finally got Mevdeyeva live!

Giselle

Medalist
Currently watching the ice dance FD practice stream because I'll miss the ice dance competition tonight:

S/B looked a bit tight. bobble on the spin IIRC.
G/P looked very good after S/B's tango, it makes theirs look better.
Bobrova/Soloviev a little hesitant on lifts.
C/L as usual.
W/P a bit flat, especially the anti-climatic ending.

I think G/P and B/S have the best chance to move up from that group.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
What a night. Great performances by so many ladies. Uplifted by Mai's redemption skate... wept tears for Anna... sad for Rika, Wakaba, Ivett... Evgenia hit it out of the park as usual... Karen, Gabby and Kaetlyn were awesome... Dabin made the top ten and earned 2 places for the Korean ladies at their home Olympics... awesome competition...

And here's a few photos from yesterday, a bit off the beaten track...

Kiira Korpi and Tatiana Tarasova

Phillipe Candeloro

Simon Reed and Chris Howarth
Omg Simon and Chris are here? :)

Giselle

Medalist
C/B looked in great shape, probably get all level 4 from DOSTATNI if they deliver.
S/S not my cup of tea. Skate small and slow.
P/C I think they'll give 100% tonight. Not a huge fan of the new ending.
V/M twizzle so close to each other it's crazy. Sharp.
H/D nailed the twizzles. Deep edges. New ending.

madison

Record Breaker
C/B looked in great shape, probably get all level 4 from DOSTATNI if they deliver.
S/S not my cup of tea. Skate small and slow.
P/C I think they'll give 100% tonight. Not a huge fan of the new ending.
V/M twizzle so close to each other it's crazy. Sharp.
H/D nailed the twizzles. Deep edges. New ending.
In my opinion, a fair ranking, judging on their skating skills and connection would be:
V/M
P/C
H/D
W/P
B/S
S/S
C/B
C/L
G/P