2017 Worlds on-site reports | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds on-site reports

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I got in this morning only at 9.30 (well, I have a good exuse: a root canal made at 8 am Monday morning) and missed the group with all the American girls, saw only bits of Osmond, no Daleman. No Kostner. No Russians. But the Japanese girls were there, Mihara and Higuchi ok, Hongo did not jump much during her RT.

In the men's the Japanese and the Americans were the big attraction. Both Hanyu and Uno did ok sessions, nothing spectacular though. Jason did a complete RT and did very well indeed, Nathan much more patchy. Boyang did bits and pieces, but managed to look better than what I remember him being previously. Ten looked good - even the first part of the SP looked a bit like a performance unlike what he has done previously.

Fernández was a no show, as were also the Canadian men. Javi played soccer instead (see his fan fest for details) - his skates were apparently left behind in Oslo on Sunday and had not yet arrived by morning practice.

My biggest thing maybe was seeing Jason Brown live for the first time and I must have expected him to make a big impression on me, because I was wildly, incredibly disappointed. He did technically a very good and neat RT, with even some performance put in, but the only things that looked in any way interesting or spectacular were a couple of his transitions (the splits ARE great), otherwise nothing particular really... I was equally curious when I saw Denis Ten in Paris last fall for the first time and despite his programs being rather empty, Ten has absolutely fantastic moments when he does his step sequences, but Jason was just, I dunno, flat (?) through and through. I hope the competition performance will be better...

It was actually good that there were so many gaps in the groups, because I was socializing like crazy all the time :laugh: Most of my skating friends had already arrived and then there were discussions online with those on the way. Overall, a nice morning and early afternoon. Had to skip the rest for taking care of some business (visits to my home country are like this, despite this being a bit like a vacation).

E

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Arena Wi Fi -- spotty at best but better than nothing. In the late afternoon it started kicking me out. Twice after I had written long paragraphs, I lost them! :sad4: :console: :angry1:

ETA -- I was wanting to post other pairs info (wasn't ignoring the S/ K request) but finally had to give up because of the Wi Fi and my Kindle was down to 9% charged.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The more practices reports I see, the more I want to change my predictions :drama:

breadstal

Record Breaker
@rockerskating Practice: Nathan Chen FS runthru: 4Lz, 4F(step,hand), 4F2T, 4Lz, 3A, 4S, 4T, 3Lz. Possible 6 quads for Nathan.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Is it confirmed to be a stream from the practice rink? Cuz I saw the photo, but I think I need more convincing than that. ;-)

The tweet is from the ISU - is there any further need for a confirmation (or who else could confirm it)??

E

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

:love: How nice! If they can pull off this in competition, it is gonna be really exciting to watch and Aliona and Bruno's efforts for the hard trick would be finally rewarded. Of course they need to make the other elements cleanish though.

I'm wondering how my another queen and knight from China is doing at practice.