2017 Worlds Pairs FS | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Pairs FS

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight
OK, a complete reset here.

Is it two spots for USA Pairs? Or is it just one?

Conflicting info all over the place, so please don't speculate.

Personally, I'm fine with one. But I want to know.

1 for the Olympics, 2 for the Worlds.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Really happy about Sui/Han, who are my favourites, winning their first world title! Congratulations.

I'm relieved that the Canadian teams pulled out the 3 spots.

How many world medals has Savachenko won now?

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think who ever does Moskvinas programs should do T/M. T/M have gorgeous likes and are a beautiful pair. Why not take as advantage of this in a team.

eta

Medalist
Trying to figure out spots for next Olympics, someone help/correct me?

3 spots:
China (1+4=5 <=13)
Russia (3+5=8 <= 13)
Canada (6+7=13 <=13)
^9 pairs

2 spots:
Germany (2+19=21 <=28)
Italy (9+13=22 <= 28)
^4 pairs

That's 13 pairs, so 3 more to make 16. Wikipedia says "in order of their skaters' placement in the world championships," does that mean the placement for the top team? Like:
France (8), USA (10), Czech Republic (14), and remaining 4 pairs decided by Nebelhorn Trophy?

Thanks for helping.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think who ever does Moskvinas programs should do T/M. T/M have gorgeous likes and are a beautiful pair. Why not take as advantage of this in a team.
Trust me, Mozer will find a way to give T/M horrible programs next season, as usual... :palmf:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Trying to figure out spots for next Olympics, someone help/correct me?

3 spots:
China (1+4=5 <=13)
Russia (3+5=8 <= 13)
Canada (6+7=13 <=13)
^9 pairs

2 spots:
Germany (2+19=21 <=28)
Italy (9+13=22 <= 28)
^4 pairs

That's 13 pairs, so 3 more to make 16. Wikipedia says "in order of their skaters' placement in the world championships," does that mean the placement for the top team? Like:
France (8), USA (10), Czech Republic (14), and remaining 4 pairs decided by Nebelhorn Trophy?

Thanks for helping.

You should take a look in the 2018 Spots thread here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?63420-2018-Olympic-and-World-Championship-Spots

I already listed everything there.

I also copied the Pairs specific post to this thread, on page 52: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...lds-Pairs-FS&p=1687758&viewfull=1#post1687758

Last edited:

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
Yu/Zhang: Technically, they're getting the "tricks" but I certainly don't feel the same connection that Sui and Han convey. Does Hao have another season in him?

They are planning on 2022 Olympics, believe it or not. It seems Hao Zhang will never retire, and the Chinese fed. will continue trying to find him partners. I will say the new Zhang parternship is working out way better than I ever thought it would thus far so kudos to them for that, even if I dont find them remotedly appealing to watch.

medvedevasocks

Match Penalty
Watch your potty mouth lol. I was hoping you would say V and T were returning but they aren't mentioned in your predictions unless they are everyone else combined.

I dont care if they return, they are not a factor, and yes I just put them in "everyone else" as far as the gold medal or even medals go. Like i said in another thread they have been retired in reality since their Sochi LP finished. They did compete in body a bit last season as zombies and total shadows of their old selves with no heart or mind in the effort at all. It is funny to see some people mention Russian pairs when V&T retire, as if they havent basically been retired since the 2014 Olympics despite a couple token appearances last year which I put akin to the few Sotnikova has made since Sochi in competitions as well.

And I am not a V&T hater, was thrilled to see them win in Sochi, but just being real here. The one thing about if they do make a comeback for the Games I am almost certain they would be "given" the 3rd Russian spot behind Tarasova & Morozov and Stolbova & Klimov in that case, which would be a shame as they probably wouldnt earn it. They might even be used in the team event in one of the round with some cheesy excuse to give them a free gold medal/medal like Plushenko in Sochi, but atleast Plushenko was arguably still the best Russian man at that point. So yes a potential comeback by them is significant and likely heartbreak for some deserving Russian pair with dreams of skating in the Games, even if it has virtually no barring on potential medals of any sort.

Last edited:

yqs100

On the Ice
I got the sense that the crowd was behind SM more because they are a European pair who did well recently at Europeans and especially Savchenko simply is more well known than S/H. This doesn't feel like a particularly knowledgeable skating audience. (The height of a triple twist earned gasps, understandably, but little acknowledgement of the two quad twists.)

I agree that SM's program is the most enchanting of them all, and Savchenko's qualities only added to it (Massot was also really good). But the two footed, low landings did feel jarring to me (maybe not to some of the audience whose view angles might have prevented them from seeing the touch-down). As a viewer I was like, you get so much height and distance on those throws so why are you always two footing them? What a waste on that height! And after all it's just not a clean element. So I think the GOEs on those elements definitely should be negatively affected.

S/M was quite inflated in the SP, the jump and the throw all got positive GEO( European judges did a pretty good job)

Then come to LP, the jumps again has some problem and the 3A throw too... what I don't understand is the twist got level 4, anyone can explain?

Yes S/H fell on the 3S but the rest is much higher quality. So the total score should be a bit higher than what they got.

But keep in mind it's in Euro, the inflation might be reasonable,,, that's the only thing can explain the tiny margin

yqs100

On the Ice
And for Yu/ Zhang, this is just the first season, and I love their LP,, just one of the soft, light but beautiful programs I've ever seen.
And both of them have improved a lot this season on the posture, skating skill and connection.

This partnership really works! Thanks for the coach team made this switch. It was a good job!

Trust they will be much better in the Olympic season

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Yu/ Zhang, this is just the first season, and I love their LP, just one of the soft, light but beautiful programs I've ever seen.

Trust they will be much better in the Olympic season

I think they will be held down, regardless if they skate perfect or not. They should have won the Bronze here over Tarasova/Morosov, but didn't because they are the "2nd rate" Chinese team and T/M are "Russia #1".

Sui/Han, Savchenko/Massot, "Russia #1", and "Canada #1" will all be given more importance by the judges, so even if one of those teams skates relatively poorly (as happened in this competition with "Canada #1"), that still leaves Yu/Zhang in 4th place, off the podium. Sad but true.

bobbob

Medalist
The top two teams were in a class of their own today. It was a shame that Sui/Han had that fall because otherwise that might have been one of if not my favorite free skate of all time (and a world record at that). All of the other elements were excellent, and I think if they spend their off-season perfecting their 3S to get consistently clean programs every single competition, they may have a V/T-2014 type season next year.

Savchenko/Massot (like S/S with V/T in 2014) will be nipping at their heels though, never giving up certainly and experimenting with their 3ATh and maybe 4Tw? I think their free skate here was a masterpiece, and was every bit as good as Sui/Han's program, though I do feel like they need to stop two footing their throws because clean throws are a hallmark of every successful pair and I can't see them winning Olympics with three twofooted throws.

Tarasova and Morosov definitely need better programs which I have a feeling they will be getting--today they seemed flatter than at Europeans, though most of the elements were well executed. One thing I will say is that they need to make sure their lifts are consistent--they go for very complex positions but often mess up. I could make an argument that Yu/Zhang deserved the Bronze medal today, they had a sharper performance than T/M I thought and IMO their program shows more elegance--better program components. Stolbova and Klimov were also good, slightly messy, but an improvement from the short and (I thought) Euros as well. They should be good to go to be top-tier contenders for next season.

Kudos to Lubov and Dylan as well as Meagan and Eric for clinging on to three spots for Canada. Lubov and Dylan once again had a great program but she needs to work on her SBS desperately. They should be proud to be the top Canadian team here (their first time beating D/R)--congrats. Duhamel and Radford were injured and I commend them for fighting it out for themselves and for their country, though their were lots of small mistakes and the overall skate was extremely messy. They do still seem to have a small albeit present PCS buffer over J/C, Y/Z, and I/M which I do not agree with.

S/K did their best but unfortunately their compatriots didn't help and it is what it is, as long as they are the ones who get a chance to go... J/C had a decent skate today, not as good as Euros...they may be dark horses next year a la Stolbova Klimov did in 2014...

In terms of Olympic odds I would give S/H 40%, S/M 25%, T/M 15%, S/K 7.5%, D/R 5%, Y/J 2.5%, J/C 2.5%, other 2.5%

rain

Record Breaker
Sui and Han were completely mesmerizing. Just such a beautiful performance. Such a pure skating program, with the deceptively simple looking long, sweeping edges everywhere. I only hope they can equal the choreography of their programs this year during next year's Olympics. They have such authenticity in their performance.

I enjoyed Savchenko and Massot as well — which is to say, more than I've ever enjoyed Savchenko before with either of her partners — but to me, they were clearly second place. But boy do the judges seem to want to give this team everything plus the kitchen sink, even when there are clear, visible errors.

The two such exquisite programs above only highlighted how awful Tarasova and Morosov's material is. Dated doesn't even to begin to describe it. And with the success they've had now, will there be the incentive to change direction? I can only hope so. This pair has some great qualities but they are not being show to best advantage with that kind of dreck.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Tarasova & Morozov are really REALLY awesome and their programs aren't. Their choreographers should make an effort here, I hope that it won't keep them away from gold medals in the future !
S/H & S/M were mesmerizing, all of you that got to see it live you are so lucky ! :sad21:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Sui/Han's programs deserved to be their Olympic programs next year when they will be well seasoned. After all, they only skated them twice in international competitions - 4CC and Worlds.