2018-19 Russian Ice Dance | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ice Dance

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
They chose Evdokimova/Bazin over Zagorski/Guerriero for Europeans :disagree: :dev2:

Not really that surprising, is it? Z/G had a terrible FD, but they have a chance to go to Worlds, especially when E/B get drowned at Euros. It'll be a feat for them if they even get on the top ten, when Z/G could have a chance at the top 5 even, but what can you do.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Not really that surprising, is it? Z/G had a terrible FD, but they have a chance to go to Worlds, especially when E/B get drowned at Euros. It'll be a feat for them if they even get on the top ten, when Z/G could have a chance at the top 5 even, but what can you do.

But the rules say that only first two (seniors) have guarantied places for Europian team. So they could have chosen Z/G based on better international results they have, if they wanted to (while Z/G FD at Nationals was really a disaster, they internationally still have the best levels in Rhythm Dance comparing to all the teams in the world). It wouldn't be 'against the rules' decision :disapp: E: I mean decisions of Russians Ice Dance comittee were a mess all this season. They gave a spot to Morozova/Bagin at Rostelecom, when Spilevaya/Smirnov are obviously a better team. So im not suprised anymore, just dissapointed.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I'm surprised they followed the results of national so strictly. Z/G won medals at all their GP events and made it to the final. Pretty amazing considering they were a distant #3 ranked team. Who else, besides S/K and S/B, came close to that?

It's not like ice dance was like pairs where there was multiple teams (outside T/M and Z/E) who had big success. It was basically S/K, S/B, Z/G and no one else.

Eisfee

On the Ice

Russia has only to spots for worlds. I don't guess Z/G will go...

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Russia has only to spots for worlds. I don't guess Z/G will go...

Forgot about that. But then they wouldn't go anyway. I guess it's just unlucky for them, but its not like they got fantastic results all season. Especially in the FD, for me they were always stumbling around in the segment.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
lol I forgot we have 2 spots for Worlds so I was sure ZG would go:laugh:
I guess they didnt send ZG b/c Europeans doesnt mean much to the fed. #3 at least/ SK & SB will manage to fight with PC & the Italians pretty well on their own
Imo regarding #1 the Fed decided to not put all eggs in 1 basket (thankfully). They will have 2 teams closely & 1 falters the other can get similar support. TAT was pretty happy comentating & always emphasizing how we have TWO great teams. & even Besti said great things about SK & admitted SB's mistake !:laugh: I thought the world would turn upside down:rofl:

super extatic for SK!:luv17: Now they're so ready to take over the world (well not HD & PC I suppose:laugh:):luv17:
Lulzy that IK didnt even manage to become champs while Lena & Nik with different parters did!:laugh:

Especially in the FD, for me they were always stumbling around in the segment.
the dance is great in itself but it required better skills from the performers to fully show its brilliance.
The same feeling I have abt Sinkats's dances from Marina. They were great but skaters werent in the shape to give them justice.
OT but the same feeling I have about Smart/Diaz RT this year. Im such a fan of this rythm dance but I cant fully appreciate it performed by these skaters:slink:

But most of all he had a shoelace (?) issue and they skated through it.
lmao it was such an absurd comp
2 teams had shoes unlaced!!
has it ever happened before???:palmf:

malya

On the Ice
I thought I understood a bit about ice dance but I honestly can't see where Morozov/Bagin have improved so immensly to get 3rd with ~180 at the russian cup final after they got 130 something when they where host pick at Rostelecom...

Are they the new dance pair being pushed by RusFed?

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I thought I understood a bit about ice dance but I honestly can't see where Morozov/Bagin have improved so immensly to get 3rd with ~180 at the russian cup final after they got 130 something when they where host pick at Rostelecom...

Oh, they've been pushed for a time now, but they're not going anywhere, anytime soon.

malya

On the Ice
Oh, they've been pushed for a time now, but they're not going anywhere, anytime soon.

Maybe the host pick at Rostelecom again :)

I thought I was not seeing something and even watched their programs again back to back... We are used to national inflation but 50 points in IceDance?!?! That's a new level

On another note it was nice to see Jonathan + Tiffany again, I'm still sad about their nationals FD

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I thought I was not seeing something and even watched their programs again back to back... We are used to national inflation but 50 points in IceDance?!?! That's a new level

On another note it was nice to see Jonathan + Tiffany again, I'm still sad about their nationals FD

They got 151.55 at Golden Spin, so more like 30 points.

Weathergal

Medalist

They got 151.55 at Golden Spin, so more like 30 points.

I was wondering about that when I saw they were second in the FD and very close to Popova / Mozgov overall. I didn't find them very impressive during test skates, Rostelecom, or Rus Nats - but, to be fair, I haven't seen video (I don't know if there is any) of these latest performances. Still...everything I saw said they had a way to go to even catch up to a middle of the pack team like P / M although as SnowWhite pointed out, they did gain ground on them at Nats.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I was wondering about that when I saw they were second in the FD and very close to Popova / Mozgov overall. I didn't find them very impressive during test skates, Rostelecom, or Rus Nats - but, to be fair, I haven't seen video (I don't know if there is any) of these latest performances. Still...everything I saw said they had a way to go to even catch up to a middle of the pack team like P / M although as SnowWhite pointed out, they did gain ground on them at Nats.

Go watch https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFSRussia, you'll better understand the circus that is Russian ice dance. Just between me and you I am hoping that Dima grabs Lena's hand and says, let's just do this.

I understand now that Z/G are going nowhere, they are just too rough. Kustarova and Alexeeva are out of their depth in senior ice dance, I feel for S/A. The most impressive pair was the winning junior team coming out of Gorshkov's school. I hope they get through puberty unscathed, they are very very good.

elysium

On the Ice
Just between me and you I am hoping that Dima grabs Lena's hand and says, let's just do this.
From the YouTube clips on the ice show Lena and Dima did some months ago, she looks a bit out of shape for competition. I have come to peace now with that that she won’t come back.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Go watch https://www.youtube.com/user/TheFSRussia, you'll better understand the circus that is Russian ice dance. Just between me and you I am hoping that Dima grabs Lena's hand and says, let's just do this.

I understand now that Z/G are going nowhere, they are just too rough. Kustarova and Alexeeva are out of their depth in senior ice dance, I feel for S/A. The most impressive pair was the winning junior team coming out of Gorshkov's school. I hope they get through puberty unscathed, they are very very good.

I think when Z/G are “on” they are amazing but perhaps they just didn’t have the skill necessary to really pull off the FD. It was very complicated.

sunn1ly

On the Ice
Of course Morozov/Bagin will be pushed, I don't see any pair with more connections in Russia. They were the couple with the lowest score in the GP series and were chosen over Shpilevaya/Smirnov and now they were scored more than Popova/Mozgov . This is the most ridiculous thing. I dont mind the couple competing for other country with more equal start and not being pushed by both judges and authorities for the price of the hard work, health and talent of other better teams.
I am very sad for Popova Mozgov and even more for Z/G. Qualifying for the GP final and doing well to all your events means nothing, they were not worthy of Europeans because of one bad event with boots issue. And by the way Tiffany and Jonathan were wonderful on the cup final and probably would have been in top five in European. Rus Fed is doing their best to demotivate their talents. The ice dance is honestly the most ridiculous field in Russia. Russian ice dance doesn't deserve to medal at worlds, just because of the whole politics of connections over skills and killing talents. I don't mind SB and SK just the Russian Fed.

bramweld

Record Breaker
From the YouTube clips on the ice show Lena and Dima did some months ago, she looks a bit out of shape for competition. I have come to peace now with that that she won’t come back.

I am not there yet but I think I will need to in the near future :). But until then I hope she continues to do shows, she's really good in them and quite frankly I don't think I'll ever tire of her unique abilities. None of the current ice dancers have her qualities but I have my eye on a few juniors :)

bramweld

Record Breaker
Of course Morozov/Bagin will be pushed, I don't see any pair with more connections in Russia. They were the couple with the lowest score in the GP series and were chosen over Shpilevaya/Smirnov and now they were scored more than Popova/Mozgov . This is the most ridiculous thing. I dont mind the couple competing for other country with more equal start and not being pushed by both judges and authorities for the price of the hard work, health and talent of other better teams.
I am very sad for Popova Mozgov and even more for Z/G. Qualifying for the GP final and doing well to all your events means nothing, they were not worthy of Europeans because of one bad event with boots issue. And by the way Tiffany and Jonathan were wonderful on the cup final and probably would have been in top five in European. Rus Fed is doing their best to demotivate their talents. The ice dance is honestly the most ridiculous field in Russia. Russian ice dance doesn't deserve to medal at worlds, just because of the whole politics of connections over skills and killing talents. I don't mind SB and SK just the Russian Fed.

This :thumbsup:. The nepotism and politics has made me almost completely lose interest in Russian ice dance. However, there are some really great juniors coming up, and no amount of shananigans will deny their talent. So the Morozovas and Bagins should enjoy their ascent while it lasts.