2018 4CC entry (pre-event) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 4CC entry (pre-event)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley went to 4CC twice when it was very competitive. She won it with two strong skates the same year she was very, very close to medaling at worlds too.

It sounds like she’ll be there. If she’s hungry and determined - her chances of medalling should good. Her jump combos looked pretty solid in those Nats practice videos. The Japanese ladies will be a serious threat, but she’s faced worse odds. I really hope she goes, redeems herself and sets up for a more positive (probably final) next season.

True. She won it in 2012 over Mao Asada. It is kind of ironic that she gave up her spot last year to Mirai who got a Tier 2 bronze medal to add to her "body of work." If Ashley had gone and medaled, she would probably be on the Olympic team right now.
I wonder if American skaters will be more reluctant to pass on 4CC now that it is among the second-highest level criteria for the World and Olympic teams.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
True. She won it in 2012 over Mao Asada. It is kind of ironic that she gave up her spot last year to Mirai who got a Tier 2 bronze medal to add to her "body of work." If Ashley had gone and medaled, she would probably be on the Olympic team right now.
I wonder if American skaters will be more reluctant to pass on 4CC now that it is among the second-highest level criteria for the World and Olympic teams.

Not really ironic. Ashley has said that as she grew older, it was harder to manage a trip to Asia for 4CC, and then the World Championships. With travel time, jet lag and the stress and excitement of another competition, it was too hard on her body.

I find I'm really looking forward to 4CC. I'm excited to see LaLaLand again. I hope that she has a great redemption skate; in fact two of them! :hap36: I'm also really looking forward to Mariah and Starr's skates; Ashley / Timothy, Tarah / Danny, and Deanna / Nate in Pairs; Kaitlin / Jean-Luc, the Parsons, and Lorraine / Quinn in dance; and Jason, Max, and especially Ross in Men. I think it's going to be a great event.

To get back to the women, I'm really happy to see Mai Mihara and Kaori Sakamoto. And quite a few others that I was happy about when I read down the list. Someone in this event is skating to Bohemian Rhapsody! :) And I noticed quite a few of my favorite musical selections being skated to.

shyne

Final Flight

Yes. I think Americans will be more reluctant to opt out 4CC after this year's selection team, which is what the USFS always wanted: 4CC being a competition equivalent to the European Championship.
but it's really not fair considering how close the 4CC normally is to the World Championship and the weeks of rest between European and Worlds. Perhaps we will see more US/Canadian Nationals in early Jan and 4CC in late Jan/early Feb?

curious

Final Flight
True. She won it in 2012 over Mao Asada. It is kind of ironic that she gave up her spot last year to Mirai who got a Tier 2 bronze medal to add to her "body of work." If Ashftley had gone and medaled, she would probably be on the Olympic team right now.

She didnt beat a clean mao did she.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes. I think Americans will be more reluctant to opt out 4CC after this year's selection team, which is what the USFS always wanted: 4CC being a competition equivalent to the European Championship.
but it's really not fair considering how close the 4CC normally is to the World Championship and the weeks of rest between European and Worlds. Perhaps we will see more US/Canadian Nationals in early Jan and 4CC in late Jan/early Feb?

They need to hold 4CC in the US and Canada on a more regular basis. When Ashley won in 2012 (and went on to do well at Worlds), it was in Colorado Springs. As as aside, I'm not sure the USFS ever wanted 4CC to be more than what it is. They have a habit of assigning lower ranked (at Nationals) skaters to the event.

pearly

Record Breaker
She didnt beat a clean mao did she.

What does that have to do with anything? Hubbel and Donahue didn't win either event at their Nationals last weekend and came out first. Doesn't make their gold medal any less legitimate.

This wasn't a discussion on who's a better skater between Wagner and Asada, someone merely said she had gone to 4CC and won it in the past.

shyne

Final Flight
They need to hold 4CC in the US and Canada on a more regular basis. When Ashley won in 2012 (and went on to do well at Worlds), it was in Colorado Springs. As as aside, I'm not sure the USFS ever wanted 4CC to be more than what it is. They have a habit of assigning lower ranked (at Nationals) skaters to the event.

There's way more countries in Asia to make the location selection just.
Plus Taiwan gets a lot of support from their goverment and is hosting 4CC as a nonprofit event (FREE tickets:luv17:)
But US is holding the 2019 4CC.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Mainly just during Olympic years due to the timing of the event. The top skaters go in other years usually. And yes they are hosting it in Anaheim, Calif. in 2019.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mainly just during Olympic years due to the timing of the event. The top skaters go in other years usually. And yes they are hosting it in Anaheim, Calif. in 2019.

Yes, I know. I was disappointed that they changed the location from Colorado Springs. Anaheim is too far to travel for me. I was there in Colorado Springs in 2012.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
While I agree that US or Canada should more regularly hold 4CC in order to make their top skaters to participate in the event, I don't like any event held in Colorado Springs. I saw 2012 4CC and 2015 junior GP and a lot of skaters, especially from overseas suffered altitude sickness because of the location's high altitude, so many of them showed far worse performances than usual. I remember some skaters even fainted and had to withdraw during 2012 4CC because they had a sudden difficulty of breathing.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It looks like Satoko won't withdraw which means she is healthy enough to participate in the event. I somewhat expected she would be out and Wakaba be in instead. That'll be a good news for Satoko. I looks like the Japanese ladies are going to sweep the podium.

I'm happy to see Starr and Angela too.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I agree that US or Canada should more regularly hold 4CC in order to make their top skaters to participate in the event, I don't like any event held in Colorado Springs. I saw 2012 4CC and 2015 junior GP and a lot of skaters, especially from overseas suffered altitude sickness because of the location's high altitude, so many of them showed far worse performances than usual. I remember some skaters even fainted and had to withdraw during 2012 4CC because they had a sudden difficulty of breathing.

I think only one of the Shibutanis had a problem that caused them to withdraw but I also think it was only from the exhibition. I didn't notice any major problem with the skaters I saw, who included Wagner, Mao, Takahashi, Caroline Zhang and others who did not train in Colorado. But I am not tied to CS for the event except for my own convenience. It can be somewhere else in the US-- or in Canada. Vancouver, maybe? The point, as you note, would be to make it more convenient for the top NA skaters to attend.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Charlie White finished the FD but left the ice in bad shape after the FD GPF in Colorado Springs, gasping.. He has asthma.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I see Song and Sun are back this year. He was a board favorite last year dancing the Beyonce's "Single Ladies".

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I see Song and Sun are back this year. He was a board favorite last year dancing the Beyonce's "Single Ladies".

This year's programs for Song & Sun :)

Linshu SONG / Zhuoming SUN
SD: Rhumba: "Whatever Happens," Samba: "Waka Waka;" choreo by Anjelika Krylova, Pasquale Camerlengo
FD: "Make You Feel My Love" by Adele, "Rolling In The Deep" by Adele; choreo by Anjelika Krylova, Pasquale Camerlengo

I looking forward to seeing them dance to some of Anjelika's and Pasquale's choreo :love:

In dance more than the other disciplines, I think, there is a chance for lower ranked teams to really shine and be enjoyable!

Last edited: