2018 Golden Spin of Zagreb Pairs Short Program | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Golden Spin of Zagreb Pairs Short Program

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Knierims 64.04 in second place

Now go my favourite US pair :clapper:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Someday I will see Ashley & Tim skate that SP perfectly, and it will be glorious.

Still :luv17: it.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Hands down the best performance tonight… although the hand down :)

64.34 in second place

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love how Ashley:love:sparkles in that SP.

Something else I love: their SBS spins. They're one of the few pairs who manage to really coordinate their spins, including slowing down or speeding up with the rhythm of the music.

Great footwork too! I love how they sell their programs. they really reach out to the audience.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think that seeing Knierims and Ashley/Tim in one competition, former still kind of search for the optimal fit to that SP, more accurate timing to some of elements/transitions whole later are serving a program that is such a custom fit to their personalities and attitude, just matter of skating it cleanly. One positive thing in that hung above camera perspective was for me to see Ashley/Tim's technique on throw jump, Tim throws Ashley, not himself in the process, it looked quite crisp and elegant:)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I love how Ashley:love:sparkles in that SP.

Something else I love: their SBS spins. They're one of the few pairs who manage to really coordinate their spins, including slowing down or speeding up with the rhythm of the music.

Great footwork too! I love how they sell their programs. they really reach out to the audience.

They are infusing their programs and performances a lot with dance-related qualities I think. And it suits them as they are not that typical 'classic' pair. I am glad to see them getting better and pushing harder.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to think that Tim’s time off on the cruise ship helped his performance chops. I’ve been on those cruises and seen those ice shows, and it’s a tiny rink, and a tiny venue, and the audience can tell if you’re phoning it in.

Yes, I do love guys who are performers ;)

gold12345

Medalist
If Alexa & Chris could just stay on their feet, they would have a decent lead. Instead they're neck-in-neck with two others. Waiting patiently for them to get it all to click at the same time. It's not at all typical for Alexa to have issues with the throw in SPs, so there's something not fully gelling with this SP whether it's the transition into the throw or something else. And it's too bad because the throw 3F is one of their best elements and Chris has been landing every SP jump-- but Alexa hasn't looked really confident in this program yet.

I'm not as enthused by Cain and LeDuc's SP as some others but they do their best to sell it, and I think that might be their strongest quality (as long as Tim doesn't oversell it, because I don't think a pair guy should be over-the-top). Their twist was rough here and the jumps frequently plague her. I don't think they will ever have really strong pair elements in part due to the lack of size difference, but I can appreciate the way they sell it every time. Not a bad skate for them today.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Alexa & Chris could just stay on their feet, they would have a decent lead. Instead they're neck-in-neck with two others. Waiting patiently for them to get it all to click at the same time. It's not at all typical for Alexa to have issues with the throw in SPs, so there's something not fully gelling with this SP whether it's the transition into the throw or something else. And it's too bad because the throw 3F is one of their best elements and Chris has been landing every SP jump-- but Alexa hasn't looked really confident in this program yet.

That's the thing that kills me ... I used to hold my breath to see if Chris would double, hand down, or fall on the SBS jumps. Now he's making them so consistently, and .... well, I do think you're right about the transition or whatever into the throw. Something is throwing Alexa off -- yeah, bad pun. I just hope it isn't Chris throwing her off!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think they will ever have really strong pair elements in part due to the lack of size difference,

That's actually one of the things I love most about Ashley and Tim. They're making their weaknesses into strengths, little by little, month after month. Or forging ahead and choosing to shine in other areas .... making them very distinctive among pairs skaters. First of all, Tim wanted to skate with Ashley, and chose her without regard to height. What he noticed right away was how their technique on the lifts clicked. And because of the similarity in their height, long legs, long arms, they've chosen to emphasize the harmony in their movement, their rhythm, their performance sensibility.

Case in point on how they work on an element over time: when they first paired up, Ashley had never done a triple twist, only a double with her previous partner. She didn't know how it felt. Then, they got the triple, and it was crashy and often just level 1. They worked up to level 2, and now they're getting level 3s on it. They'ave had positive GOE on it once or maybe twice. So it's step by step.

Well, I really look forward to tomorrow's pairs free skates! It could be close and exciting. But it almost certainly will be beautiful!:love:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hands down the best performance tonight… although the hand down :)

64.34 in second place

The judges like this team (Knerims). They want to give them gold. The Russians don't have much of a chance. Unless the Knerims make a couple of errors gold seems to be at the Knerims footsteps.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
The Knerims are the class of the group as long as they don't make too many errors - they can make some. It is possible for an American sweep here but Ithink the Russians might end that party.

gold12345

Medalist
One positive thing in that hung above camera perspective was for me to see Ashley/Tim's technique on throw jump, Tim throws Ashley, not himself in the process, it looked quite crisp and elegant:)

I know some people like the look of a pair guy having minimal movement on the throw, but it's not actually good for pair skating. Ideally, you want the guy to be able to chuck the girl high and far into the air instead of the girl mostly throwing herself. The guy should look like he's doing a lot of the throwing. It is a throw after all, not an assisted jump.

That's actually one of the things I love most about Ashley and Tim. They're making their weaknesses into strengths, little by little, month after month. Or forging ahead and choosing to shine in other areas .... making them very distinctive among pairs skaters. First of all, Tim wanted to skate with Ashley, and chose her without regard to height. What he noticed right away was how their technique on the lifts clicked. And because of the similarity in their height, long legs, long arms, they've chosen to emphasize the harmony in their movement, their rhythm, their performance sensibility.

Case in point on how they work on an element over time: when they first paired up, Ashley had never done a triple twist, only a double with her previous partner. She didn't know how it felt. Then, they got the triple, and it was crashy and often just level 1. They worked up to level 2, and now they're getting level 3s on it. They'ave had positive GOE on it once or maybe twice. So it's step by step.

Don't get me wrong, I think Cain/LeDuc are doing admirable work to make the most out of what is not an ideal size difference for pair skating. But I see a ceiling with their elements. They are doing what they can to get by on the twist, the throws, the lifts. I don't see big GOE potential there. They still haven't gotten a clean catch on the twist (even if occasionally they somehow receive a level for it) and they have somewhat easier lifts. The don't get big air on their throws and she lands with her chest lower, probably in part because of her height affecting her center of gravity. These things put a lot of pressure on their SBS jumps to be perfect, and those tend to not always be easy for Ashley in particular. So while I see them improving from where they started, I also see a ceiling. It's not a knock on them as much as it's an acknowledgement that short girls have a built-in advantage in the discipline.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The judges like this team (Knerims). They want to give them gold. The Russians don't have much of a chance. Unless the Knerims make a couple of errors gold seems to be at the Knerims footsteps.

Snowflake was talking about Cain and Leduc, who are in second place after the SP.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not a knock on them as much as it's an acknowledgement that short girls have a built-in advantage in the discipline.

You're not wrong about that. But I really admire Ashley and Tim for not letting such considerations get in the way of their goal to become a world-class pairs team. And, since I like their artistic vision, their lines, unison, musical and performance abilities, I want them to do well, and to continue as long as they can. I like that they're improving their elements while also upholding and emphasizing the things that they do well.

gold12345

Medalist
The Knerims are the class of the group as long as they don't make too many errors - they can make some. It is possible for an American sweep here but Ithink the Russians might end that party.

Yeah I expect Efimova/Korovin to be on the podium. Judging by how these pairs have scored so far this season, I think K/K will have enough points to win if they can hit at least half of the big elements. They're going to need to land a throw or two since those are usually big point getters for them. They are the only team in this group to have reached 190 points and that was with almost no jump points. So it's theirs to lose.