2018 GP Helsinki Men's Short Program | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2018 GP Helsinki Men's Short Program

Seruleane

Final Flight

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
His 3A was better than Yuzuru's and his skating skills are impeccable as expected, but after Yuzuru, and with that very costly pop, I couldn't feel much for it. God Yuzuru, you almost made me forget you weren't 100% perfect, what spell have you put me under.

Brezina still in second place, I know it's the men but wow. Will Jin Boyang be able to beat him in the free? (Like honestly, Yuzuru won this. Unless he totally bombs no one can beat him.) Darling Junhwan's in 4th, hopes he keeps it (or better, if I dare hope).

Well that was breathtaking and extremely tiring. I'm going to watch Junhwan and Yuzuru again.

Once Yuzu goes perfect with this one.... I mean even now it is something no one else can probably touch. For brilliance, for score and for pure beauty, he is still in a masterclass of his own.

I think Junhwan was underscored, but we'll see what Junliet does for him, I do think people like it in performance even when they don't know why given the music :laugh:

Boyang, once he gets clean, is also going to be back with a blast, I think, that was a great routine :hap85:

And Bychenko - full marks to him, it's all too common when Yuzu does that and the crowd goes bonkers with screams and Poohs, for the next skater implode but he held it together...

Poor Mikhail. I'm hoping he now decides to do a Nathan (as from the Olympics) and just lets the pressure go and lets himself simply go for broke.

(ps - where did Brian get the tiny Pooh? - we should all watch out for it now, maybe it's lucky)

Thank you! I hadn't seen Weir's program before. I can definitely see his influence on Yuzuru. They have similar aesthetic. I love the part when Johnny extends his leg in front with a pointed toe, just like a ballet dancer. I hope he enjoys Yuzuru's program as much as we do.

Oh I should think he'll be thrilled, wouldn't anyone?

katymay

Medalist
Yuzuru's music, it is driving me crazy, who used to skate to this? Was it Maria Butryskaya?

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru's music, it is driving me crazy, who used to skate to this? Was it Maria Butryskaya?

Yes, according to Wiki. Then Johnny Weir obviously :) and wiki mentioned Polina Korobeynikova and Júlia Sebestyén (I don't follow women, sorry)

Shedi0806

On the Ice
Ran into Kolyada and Bychenko on the corridor. Michael is sooo tiny, but skates big. I love his movement. Watching it live his power radiates on the ice. Bychenko is such a sweetheart, he was very nice with everyone.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Until today Otoñal for me "belonged" to Maria Butyrskaya. From now on, whenever I hear it, I will first think of Yuzuru, then Maria and finally Johnny Weir.

Yuzuru without being perfect was simply incredible. And to my family's bewilderment, I rendered him standing ovation in front of my TV :) I hope tomorrow he will skate at the same level as today. I loved Plushenko's Tribute to Nijinsky and I would like to see Yuzuru skate his particular tribute to Plushenko clean.

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Not surprisingly, Hanyu leads. What a fantastic SP that is. I LOVE his footwork sequence. So good. I will nit pick a scoring issue I observed. Hanyu turned out of his combo and still was over +1 GOE for the element. Honestly he should of been around 0 for that. In any case it really didnt effect anything but i'm just saying..

Im super happy for Michal Brezina, he seems to be on fire for him self this year. Opened the season with a GP silver metal in the USA and now hes sitting in 2nd place after the SP with 93.31 which easily is his PB. If he can manage to skate clean and get a medal he is likely getting into the GPF in Vancouver.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
112.72 is the short program mens world record. Hanyu has that in 2017 Autumn Classic

Everything re-set with the changes in the scoring system, so basically whatever is the highest season's best score is the record. Hanyu has it.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
112.72 is the short program mens world record. Hanyu has that in 2017 Autumn Classic

Yuzuru's 112.72 is now the historical SP record (he holds all three, greedy boy :laugh: )

They then reset afresh for the new scoring system, for for the last few weeks several skaters have had the buzz of holding it briefly as it shot up, I think Shoma last took it at Lombardia... and now of course, Yuzu has it again.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Caught up on the men finally. Couldn't watch live because I had an exam today, so I had to study. Miscellaneous thoughts:

Alexei Krasnozhon - man that reminded me why I love him. The uber-intense-angry face while singing along totally into it, the dance break. Loved it. He's so not polished and not naturally an artistic skater (calling him a jock is appropriate), but he really does commit and try. I just really really enjoy him. Definitely looked better than at his CS event, and much better than Regionals. This just put me in a good mood.

Junliet - not quite as strong as he's done this season, but this is a great program for him. He's doing so well this season.

Michal - what is happening? Where did this guy come from? He's doing so well. Awesome.

Boyang - This program is fun and he's performing it well, but I do wish they'd picked a different song. Although it goes with this cover version, I have trouble with rock-out, air-guitar for "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" - it misses what makes it a really great song to me. But that's a relatively small thing.

"Yuzuri" :laugh: - I think this might be my favourite program of his. I've always appreciated his skill, but I didn't really full get into it / connect. But this I'm really liking. And quality-wise, he really is just next level. Beautiful.

Mikhail - Sign. When he lands stuff, it's gorgeous. Great skating. And this program is good for him I think. I've started to get more into him this season than in the past. Hopefully he has a good FS because the Carmen works well for him too.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I'd say I am pleasantly surprised by Boyang's program. I've never seen him performing so well. His skating skill improved so much that I could enjoy the program without the jumps. The fall on the 4luz seemed a fluke. Good luck in the LP.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yuzuru is a beast. A machine. Unbeatable. Otonal still belongs to Maria - the miracle champion. Hanyu has worked hard and is very talented but he doesn't deserve everything. Have two OGM is an amazing feat especially cominb back from injury though life is about timing. A year earlier in 2014 and it would have been Chan's gold probably and a month later it would have been Nathan's. I know poeple love Hanyu but lest we forget there are other great skaters who deserve their time in the sun.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Everything re-set with the changes in the scoring system, so basically whatever is the highest season's best score is the record. Hanyu has it.

Let's be honest the "new" scoring system keeps changing world records aren't worth a dime. I appreciate thea ttempt to improve the scoring system, make it more transparent and seem more legit but it is such a mess. Elements values keep on changing forget Grades of Execution. Sadly by skating changing its scoring system so often that has not helped the legitmacy of the sport. But the placements are what is key.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Have two OGM is an amazing feat especially cominb back from injury though life is about timing. A year earlier in 2014 and it would have been Chan's gold probably and a month later it would have been Nathan's.
Is this really the right moment for a rehash of the 'if onlys' again? Neither is all that strong anyway...

Can we just celebrate what was a stunning performance of what may well become an iconic program for a couple of days?

I know poeple love Hanyu but lest we forget there are other great skaters who deserve their time in the sun.
They will earn the time they deserve the same way he has, the hard way - and if he keeps skating this brilliantly, he will deserve all the extra sunshine he gets.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
After 40-odd hours awake, my body finally shut down... two hours before the SP started. [emoji23] Neuropathy + insomnia, man. Thanks, 1.5 out of 3 nervous systems. Let’s hold it together for the FS?

Alex K. — Is that an improvement in skating skills I see, and faster spins with better positions? Whoever picked his music: give them a raise. What a stellar vehicle for him. The stumble in the step sequence was unfortunate, but a strong showing overall given that he’s coming back from injury. Very excited to see how the rest of his season goes.

Junhwan Cha — Please, please, please: do not follow Hanyu-sensei in hair care and cut yours. It’s becoming a secondary performer named Floopy and people will be confused if I refer to you with pairs nomenclature. Fairly good skate, especially given his schedule and illness at the start of Finlandia, but the performance aspect still needs a bit more work. The step sequence remains the highlight — the whole programme needs a little more of that commitment and movement.

Kolyada — #ripmypredictions. As someone said of his test skate: “Even his pops are enormous.” He had top class skating skills last season but they’re even more refined now, which is a joy to watch... that 3A... the Lutz, when rotated... though, honestly, Kolyada could do a programme of singles and delayed single Axels and I’d watch, as he has that it factour and so much skill. Please don’t become a cactus on me.

Lazukin — Great jumps. Negative it factour. Please help your fellow mans with his jumps.

Amazjin Boyangman/Tigger — 4Lz, I have missed you. I wasn’t sure about the short when we first saw it, but the decision to end with the step sequence and not a spin is freaking brilliant. Boyang has become one of my favourites after last season and if a clean rendition of this doesn’t get the PCS it deserves, I will riot. His commitment to improving all aspects of his skating has continued to yield results, and this short is just a great vehicle for him. Have a clean free! Get a medal!

Brezina — The cactus has risen to become... an oasis? A camel? I couldn’t be happier. Of everyone who threatened to retire and then didn’t, he was tied with Uncle Bychenko for the “Scarecrow, I Think I’m Going To Miss You Most Of All” award. I love long careers and great skating, even if I don’t especially love this programme. Regardless, thrilled for Brezina (and MamaMetis asked me how “the good looking one” did after I told her Hanyu’s results, so the fandom is strong over here).

Speaking of Hanyu: probable tl;dr incoming.

I watched not knowing the result or whether he went clean, and even not watching live... I was going to say “nerves,” but when Yuzuru performs to his best, he creates a moment of intimacy removed from the real world and its concerns, and the thought of failure just melts away. The lift of his head at the start of Ballade, the raised arm in Otonal: there’s a complete command of self and audience, and whatever place he’s going, he’s bringing you with him. His best programmes and performances aren’t just skating but art, something that you hold close for its ability to give you peace and meaning. To borrow a line from a poem that’s kept me steadfast since I was young: Changed into pure seeing, I will absorb, as before, proportions of human bodies, the color of irises, a Paris street in June at dawn, all of it incomprehensible, incomprehensible the multitude of visible things.

Technically, it wasn’t perfect (though the sheer size of that 4S is a wonder and a joy), but artistically — this was what wasn’t fully realized at ACI. The sense of sadness, longing, and, eventually, abandon (the one-foot Axel in the steps being the culmination of it). As much hype as there was when we first saw Origin, I think this may be the programme that I watch at my sickest or in the hospital when I need to fall into a moment of respite.

As well as everyone did, Yuzuru was the only one to give me a short that was an experience and a body of work, not just a collection of elements with varying levels of packaging. The best skates rise to that level, but Yuzu... it’s not a question of superlatives, so much as the fact that I feel like I sound like a Hallmark card? But it’s a beautiful programme. And a sublimely Yuzu programme — it’s not that no one else could perform it but that no one else could inhabit it, make you believe in each movement as natural and not “Ah, Performance 101,” and then turn the jumps into artistic flourishes. (Or the delayed head-roll from Ballade a true moment of great import and not just a pretentious gesture tacked on for PCS. Or both at once! [emoji23])

The gap in scores looks like a joke but is accurate. I would rather three disciplines hadn’t died to give us what was a fairly clean men’s short, but I’ll take what we were offered. The British Uncles were a treat, constantly noting that Yuzu could have retired and done shows rather than force himself to skate like this and by constantly upping his technical game — and I really don’t know what men’s will be like when that day comes (and, much like I assume is the case with Yuzu himself, I’m completely incapable of imagining it).

Is it too much to ask for a clean free as well? Cleanish? The competition for spots is fierce, with an outside chance of everyone’s predictions being ruined!