2018 Grand Prix Final Ladies Short Program | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2018 Grand Prix Final Ladies Short Program

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The rule change prompted by Alina wasn’t because she was untouchable (and she lost her final competition of the season anyway), it was because a lot of people disliked totally backloaded programs on an aesthetic level and didn’t want the scoring system to incentivize doing that. Rika’s 3A doesn’t pose an issue like that.

One skater dominating isn’t an issue for the ISU, generally.

I agree with this. It's like the Zayak rule. It's not personal - what Elaine and Alina did with their programs wasn't illegal or unethical.

The ISU decided collectively that they didn't want programs with the same jump performed repeatedly (Elaine's case) and they didn't want programs with all the jumps condensed into the back of the program (Alina's case).

It had nothing to do with skaters personally, and it certainly didn't have anything to do with the ISU's disdain of dominant skaters.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
The rule change prompted by Alina wasn’t because she was untouchable (and she lost her final competition of the season anyway), it was because a lot of people disliked totally backloaded programs on an aesthetic level and didn’t want the scoring system to incentivize doing that. Rika’s 3A doesn’t pose an issue like that.

It had nothing to do with aesthetic level tho, which is strongly a subjective thing after all. The rule changed because ISU thought is not that hard to put all jumps in second half if you don't jump before (that first jumps are not that hard to perform anyway). The change is to more appropriately reward balance of difficulty (those are exact words), not balance as some aestetic credo.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
It had nothing to do with aestetic level tho, which is strongly a subjective thing after all. The rule changed because ISU thought is not that hard to put all jumps in second half if you don't jump before (that first jumps are not that hard to perform anyway). The change is to more appropriately award balance of difficulty (those are exact words), not balance as some aestetic credo.

This could likely be a case where people voted for it for different reasons

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
catching up with ladies

Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA: she sold it as usual, her lutz is to die for, shame on the 3A

Rika KIHIRA: great performance, beautiful 3A, effortless jumps and a wr
Satoko MIYAHARA: :(
Alina ZAGITOVA: I got mixed feelings about this program, the music gives me headaches but I kind of like it overall…I guess I’m becoming masochist :biggrin:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I have always said at least for now the 3a is an important jump and makes or breaks ladies. If you can do it in the short it gives you like a 5 point advantage over other skaters. It is a bit sad because you don't have a 3A all the other girls really are not in the running if Rika is clean but that's competitive skating. I feel for Satoko; she must feel like yesterdays left out roast beef. Not so prime. Ice though is slippery but it seems success is breeding further success for Rika!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Same here! I am disappointed of all this amount of hate people are choosing to spread here, but well, it's their choice [emoji4]

I am very proud of Alina today! She did the best that she was able to do, given the circumstances (tiredness / cold), she fought like the true champion that she is. Her GOE's were quite low, I expected more especially on her spins, they are truly incredible!

Other than that I agree with the scores that everyone else received, it was a stellar SP and I hope this amazing battle between Alina and Rika will continue for many competitions to come because it is so entertaining! Good luck everyone in the FS!

There won't be much of a battle. Without 3A and if Rika is going to get this kind of PC marks. It's Rika's to lose.

Fluture

Record Breaker
There won't be much of a battle. Without 3A and if Rika is going to get this kind of PC marks. It's Rika's to lose.

Rika has never skated a FS where she was the one to beat this season, though. She always came from a bad SP to snatch the title. Now she‘s the one being chased. Will she be able to deliver under this new kind of pressure? I very much hope so. But she hasn‘t won this competition yet and Alina has great chances. She thrives when serious rivals are present. We will see tomorrow but yes, there will be a battle. From both Rika and Alina. And I‘m excited to see both of them as they are each unique and amazing the way they are. And yes, both of them have flaws and aren‘t perfect by any means. Which makes it even more interesting for me. ;)

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Rika has never skated a FS where she was the one to beat this season, though. She always came from a bad SP to snatch the title. Now she‘s the one being chased. Will she be able to deliver under this new kind of pressure? I very much hope so. But she hasn‘t won this competition yet and Alina has great chances. She thrives when serious rivals are present. We will see tomorrow but yes, there will be a battle. From both Rika and Alina. And I‘m excited to see both of them as they are each unique and amazing the way they are. And yes, both of them have flaws and aren‘t perfect by any means. Which makes it even more interesting for me. ;)

Actually, Rika has gone through that experience at ONT, where she was first in the SP and then in the FS as well. Rika’s Free is a very strong program, one of the best this season and one of my favorites ever, I hope she can deliver it as she’s been doing the whole season.
I agree there will be a battle and it will be an exciting one! Alina can win this most definitely, competition is not over.
The biggest question mark for me is who will get the bronze? Will someone sink to 3rd or will it be a battle between Kaori and Liza? What can Satoko accomplish here? Will Sofia be the one to sneak into the podium? That would be an amazing outcome!
Very exciting Final this one, all very talented Ladies, it will be great!

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Actually, Rika has gone through that experience at ONT, where she was first in the SP and then in the FS as well.!
I'd also say that in France she was 0.30 behind Mai Mihara, so she was effectively tied for the lead going into the free. NHK is her only true come-from-behind win of the season.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I'd also say that in France she was 0.30 behind Mai Mihara, so she was effectively tied for the lead going into the free. NHK is her only true come-from-behind win of the season.

Agreed!
Of course the GPF is a different atmosphere I’d imagine. The pressure is definitely on.
I hope Rika can do her best and finish this competition with no disappointments. She has had her fair share of flops already. [emoji23] I’m rooting for her the most!

j00mla

Made in USSR
Final Flight

aesthetic level? LOL. There is nothing aesthetic when all skaters starts their programs with most difficult element because it's just more easy way. And that was normal and common during dozens of years for almost 100% of skaters - but it's not boring and very aesthetic :rofl:. And it's ok that for lots of programs you can use different music and different costume/dress and nothing will be changed for audience' perception. But when only 1 of hundreds/thousands of skaters do her programs (highly, almost 100% fit to music) in other way of course it's a threat for all figure skating forever and ever :laugh2:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
For Alina's DQ, it kind of worked with the music to drag out two sequences and a spin, and then cramming everything else in the second half (not such a great strategy at Worlds as seen with the domino effect). But when all Eteri's students were doing it regardless of the character of the music or the program, the extreme backloading became not only unaesthetic, but artistically exploitative and a snoozefest to me. I'm glad ISU had the wisdom to stop the trend before things got out even more out of hand.

bobbob

Medalist
I agree with this. It's like the Zayak rule. It's not personal - what Elaine and Alina did with their programs wasn't illegal or unethical.

The ISU decided collectively that they didn't want programs with the same jump performed repeatedly (Elaine's case) and they didn't want programs with all the jumps condensed into the back of the program (Alina's case).

It had nothing to do with skaters personally, and it certainly didn't have anything to do with the ISU's disdain of dominant skaters.

How about the rule that 3A is allowed in the short but not quads?

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
How about the rule that 3A is allowed in the short but not quads?

That’s for ladies only, and it’s been a theoretical rule up until this point, since we didn’t have female skaters regularly attempting quads. The 3A was allowed as the Axel-type jump because it was no longer just a theoretical possibility, and there isn’t really a reason it shouldn’t be counted as a valid Axel. (I mean, I also don’t think quads should be outlawed in the ladies short, but it’s not like the rule was put in to discriminate — it’s just archaic.)

Zagitova didn’t cause the backloading change. It was a long time coming. As skaters began creating increasingly lopsided programmes and layouts remained stagnant due to the need to min-max BV, there was no escaping that the reward had to be changed. Zagitova was arguably the endpoint of giving a points incentive to jumps in the backhalf, but the idea that one skater caused a rule change is not plausible given that ISU moves at a frankly glacial pace.

bobbob

Medalist
That’s for ladies only, and it’s been a theoretical rule up until this point, since we didn’t have female skaters regularly attempting quads. The 3A was allowed as the Axel-type jump because it was no longer just a theoretical possibility, and there isn’t really a reason it shouldn’t be counted as a valid Axel. (I mean, I also don’t think quads should be outlawed in the ladies short, but it’s not like the rule was put in to discriminate — it’s just archaic.)

Zagitova didn’t cause the backloading change. It was a long time coming. As skaters began creating increasingly lopsided programmes and layouts remained stagnant due to the need to min-max BV, there was no escaping that the reward had to be changed. Zagitova was arguably the endpoint of giving a points incentive to jumps in the backhalf, but the idea that one skater caused a rule change is not plausible given that ISU moves at a frankly glacial pace.

But the 3A rule was basically implemented because of Mao Asada at the 2010 Olympics (I happened to agree with this rule by the way). And if implemented the quad rule will be because of Trusova/Scherbakova. Of course particular skaters shape the rules. I also happen to agree with no backloading bonus, but it is obvious the Russian ladies were what caused the changes.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
But the 3A rule was basically implemented because of Mao Asada at the 2010 Olympics (I happened to agree with this rule by the way). And if implemented the quad rule will be because of Trusova/Scherbakova. Of course the skaters shape the rules.

Asada wasn’t the first woman with a 3A, nor was she the only one who could land one in practise. I don’t think the rule change was explicitly about her, even though she was the main beneficiary of the change.

bobbob

Medalist
Asada wasn’t the first woman with a 3A, nor was she the only one who could land one in practise. I don’t think the rule change was explicitly about her, even though she was the main beneficiary of the change.

Of course the rule change was not explicitly about Mao, but they base their rules on the skates that skaters have been putting out. Had Mao not been doing a 3A-2T in the short, do you think the 3A would have been allowed as a solo? It would have taken at least 4 more years. If no one was backloading all their jumps, the rule would not have changed either.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Rika, loved her short program!

I would've had Kaori ahead of Liza.

Rika’s skate was phenomenal. Gorgeous triple axel, perfect technique on everything, joy of skating. She is young but not “juniorish.” She will be tough to beat if she continues like this.