2018 Lombardia Trophy Mens Short Program | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018 Lombardia Trophy Mens Short Program

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Not happy with that. Hope Philip will do better. Wow, he has hair! Long since I saw so many French men in one competition.

2 falls already :(

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Finally had a chance to go back and watch Matteo's program. As much as I hope he gets a quad to keep him competitive with the other senior men, the quality in everything that he does is just so superb. Well done.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Quick thoughts after re-watching...

I am a fan of Kazuki's style of skating, the soft yet profound expression in it, the flow...The skate/execution may not be ideal one, but I still was able to appreciate performance/presentation quality he gave: the lines, upper body work, musicality. I hope that now as jitters are shaken off, FS will shine brightly!

Matteo and Andrei are the most positive and spectacular revelation from my standpoint: just a great skating and engaged performances, regardless of aesthetic. Matteo in particular just flew on the ice - the quality of his skating in general, not even on singled out elements is just a joy to watch, so easy to process, everything with continuity and purpose. What I like also that again he seems to identify with his program, getting that emotional connection reaching beyond to producing a technical performance of particular skills to the music chosen; for me, he gives a lot of himself into performances, this boyish charm I always see in him. I like musicality in choreography that is not obvious, that his movement, softness of it matches the piano. Yes, he may not have a stable quad, but I command him for how he can present everything he currently has.

Andrei was also a joy to watch: I find him very 'plastic' and pliable in movement, not over-expressive (which is a pros in such type of program) and with solid skills presented in attractive way. That 4T was a thing of beauty, the landing was so smooth and easy! I think that the more expression, detail and 'affection' will follow into his performances of that program as season progresses.

Dmitri's program fits him like a glove, no doubt about that - he really feels this contemporary/modern aesthetic well in his body. He indeed has one of the best upper body/arms work in senior men in my opinion that does not feel like an aftermath or distraction, trying too hard. I like how the program really plays to his strengths as a performer.

Shoma's SP seems also right up in his alley repertoire-wise: it shows that he feels that music well and is able to express it through his body. But I agree with some voices there, it felt a bit 'muted' yesterday as for expression/presentation/integration of all things into that performance - I think this due to the first competition showing of the program and the build-up will now commence to be better and more sound with each showing. I like piece chosen and the arrangement of it very much, it somehow gives a structure and variety inside of relatively short time SP has; as usually - love musicality in the spins, the edgy flow in step sequence, these head gestures, it all adds to his signature style of performing and I like that the music suits it so much.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Shoma's jumps looked smoother, less like he's about to do his knee an injury? I could be wrong, but they seem so, but then my memory of the second half of least season and especially Worlds is still strong in my head. So kudos if I'm right!

I feel like this program might be too close to his last flamenco program (FS 2016-2017). I can see its potential if he keeps working hard on projection and making the gestures seem organic to the program as a whole. I worry because it felt like last year he peaked artistically at Lombardia. And I feel like he's close, so close, but not there to make something a true bombshell of an artistically compelling performance, which can get frustrating when he doesn't get there. The day he does that will be memorable and celebration-worthy day indeed. I never got that last season from him, so I hope for it in this season!

The 2016-2017 program was to Argentine tango music. Interestingly enough, even Rodrigo and Gabriela don't describe their music as flamenco. A note on their CD says: "A lot of people, when describing our sound, say we play flamenco. We don't. We blend a lot of styles into our playing but this area of music is not one of them." For September, this program is in great shape, although I have seen this performed both in practice and in ice shows with a lot more fire. It will be interesting to see how it shapes up by the time Skate Canada takes place.